Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 12:52 PM

165 posts, read 739,639 times

Advertisements

We are having problem with our tenant.

Tenant is recently trying to find a way to cut the monthly rent every other month.
So we have replaced the water heater in Oct. 2017.

Now in December 2017, they are saying:

Quote:
“As a heads up our water bill is over $900 when it is normally about $150.

After having a technician do an inspection, they have concluded it is due to the water heater and toilets. We have replaced the water heater as you know.

If we are not approved for a "leak adjustment" from the water company they informed us it is the responsibility of the landlord to pay the increased balance.”
The lease states the water bill is tenant's responsibility, and it’s been transferred to tenant’s name by movie in 2 years ago.

State California

What would you do in this situation?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 02:04 PM

268 posts, read 272,224 times
The first thing I would do is ask for a copy of the "technician's" inspection report.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbest View Post
The lease states the water bill is tenant's responsibility...
And the broken water heater or some other leak caused a lot to be wasted?

Quote:
We are having problem with our tenant.
Sounds more like they have a problem with you.

Quote:
What would you do in this situation?
Fix the pipes or invite the tenant to leave.

"clearly you're not happy here so rather than make you honor the balance of your lease
you are welcome to move asap to some other place"

Old 12-24-2017, 04:00 PM

165 posts, read 739,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyAppleton205 View Post
The first thing I would do is ask for a copy of the "technician's" inspection report.
Why should landlord request a copy of that?
Question is if the landlord is responsible for paying the water bill which is in tenant's name not?

Old 12-24-2017, 04:13 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
I would check technicians report to see if there is specific information regarding leaks. If not I would check or have checked all sink faucets, water heater, and outside water outlets and sprinklers, as well as toilets for leaks and flushing mechanisms. If there are no leaks, I would assume the tenants are using excess water by leaving it running.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:23 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
If tenants are "using the water" they are responsible for the bill.
If water use is due to a landlord item (piping, fixtures, water heater, etc), the landlord becomes responsible for excess use.

Regardless of what a lease may say, in CA water use means what a tenant uses, not what is used due to landlord's items.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:04 PM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Water heaters that aren't working well might up the power bill, but they do not increase the water bill, unless water is visibly leaking from the tank. If water is visibly leaking, tenant is responsible for notifying the landlord--- not watch the water flow all over the floor until the big water bill arrives and then complain to the landlord, not about the leak but about the cost of the water.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:10 PM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times
OP, I suggest you go over and make sure the toilets are not running, which would be your responsibility to fix, but not your responsibility to pay the water bill if the tenant never reported the toilet needed repair.

If the house has a crawl space, look underneath to see if there are wet spots from a plumbing leak. Actually if there is a plumbing leak, you should be able to hear it while inside the house. There will be a hissing noise. Again, not your water bill if the tenant never reported it.

Walk the length of the exterior water line to see if there are any wet spots that might indicate a leak in the water line. I think there are some plumbers with a tool that sniffs out exterior leaks.

If I had a tenant trying to cut the rent every other month, I'd get rid of the tenant. Although, I do make the effort to keep my plumbing in good order, but I don't have much patience with tenants who keep complaining about having to pay the rent.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:37 PM

268 posts, read 272,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbest View Post
Why should landlord request a copy of that?
Question is if the landlord is responsible for paying the water bill which is in tenant's name not?
Because a lot of tenants will claim to have something like that thinking it will scare/scam the landlord. I'd ask for it just out of curiosity.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:36 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
OP is in CA so who knows what crazy nonsense CA will require of you but generally:

1) Never agree to make any concessions unless receipts are provided and only after the concession is agreed to and in writing.

2) Never base your repairs or concessions on a contractor's opinion when you aren't the one who hired the contractor.

3) It isn't your responsibility to pay for anything unless the cause of the excessive usage is due to your neglect, if they had notified you of a high bill and you didn't fix it right away or if they had notified you of a running toilet and you ignored it.

$900 in water is something extremely weird and I'd have a plumber I trust there right away. I'd bet it wouldn't cost that much to fill a pool, probably 4 times over, where I am but our average water bill is only $80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting