Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
Not telling a landlord about a service dog at the first meeting isn't lying, nor does it make the service dog a 'fake'. As for allergies, well don't go into the units of people who have things that cause you allergies. I mean, this is stupid simple. Your hypothetical tenant doesn't want you hanging out in her place anyway.

It would be nice if slumlords advertised themselves honestly.
"Hi, disabled people need not apply, I hate you folks."
" If you want to rent from a jerk whose business model is to screw over those who can least afford it, this is the place!"
"I won't provide routine maintenance on appliances and then will blame you when it explodes and try to bankrupt you in court, because I can."
"Doesn't matter if you leave the place better than it was, I'll make something up and steal your security deposit because I know you don't have the time or money to pursue it in court."
"I'll make up fake math and statistics about disabilities and service dogs because apparently being a slumlord requires no formal education."

And so on.

By the way, continued investigation reveals that not telling about the service dog at first meeting and/or not having the dog there has better results. I'm way more likely to receive a positive response or invite to fill out the application if there is no dog. I particularly love the commentary from those who are then surprised by it. "You don't have a dog, do you? I just hate all these people with fake support dogs, bunch of liars. I don't rent to any of them" and then I come out with my disability paperwork and smile and say "why yes, I have a service dog. I sure hope you aren't going to change your mind about that application." Some actually do, I find joy in filing that complaint.
You seem sour, I myself couldn't be deceitful to people and be happy with myself. Just sayin.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:36 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Not telling a landlord about a service dog at the first meeting isn't lying, nor does it make the service dog a 'fake'. As for allergies, well don't go into the units of people who have things that cause you allergies. I mean, this is stupid simple. Your hypothetical tenant doesn't want you hanging out in her place anyway.

Stupid simple is insisting that animals don’t leave allergens in areas they pass through, which in apartments includes hallways shared by many renters.

Also stupid simple is equating no-animals landlord with slumlords, or equating dog-accepting with “better”landlords.

Slumlordism is an entirely different topic from whether or not animals are allowed.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:51 AM

304 posts, read 295,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
You seem sour, I myself couldn't be deceitful to people and be happy with myself. Just sayin.
Yes, of course I'm quite sour. Routine discrimination can do that to a person Like I said, if a landlord wan't to identify themselves as one who discriminates against the disabled, it would make things a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Stupid simple is insisting that animals don’t leave allergens in areas they pass through, which in apartments includes hallways shared by many renters.

Also stupid simple is equating no-animals landlord with slumlords, or equating dog-accepting with “better”landlords.

Slumlordism is an entirely different topic from whether or not animals are allowed.
The "what about my allergies" response doesn't work on me. As someone who deals with extreme allergies and walks around with an epi pen and inhaler, I'm sympathetic. But I'm also aware that allergens exist everywhere and that I'll have to adjust. Even if there were no pets in someone's building, all day long they are likely coming into contact with any number of people who are covered in dander and thus a risk to their allergy. Again, you learn to deal. It's stupid simple. I request alternative seating if at a restaurant, for example. I do not put my hands in my mouth unless they've been washed, I limit things like hugs or handshakes if I suspect one of my allergens will be present on a person, I don't roll around and hang out in hallways, etc. I had a neighbor who needed to use essential oils for her mental health. I'm allergic, and quite so. I couldn't imagine telling the landlord that he needed to ban their use in the building. I simply found a way to live so that the other tenant could also live well despite her illness or disability.

Stupid simple.

As for slumlord being a different topic, sure, start a new one. I use the term to indicate that I think the entire profession tends toward, at the very least, highly unethical and harmful to the population.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:13 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
Quote:
Yes, of course I'm quite sour. Routine discrimination can do that to a person Like I said, if a landlord wan't to identify themselves as one who discriminates against the disabled, it would make things a lot easier.

The "what about my allergies" response doesn't work on me. As someone who deals with extreme allergies and walks around with an epi pen and inhaler, I'm sympathetic. But I'm also aware that allergens exist everywhere and that I'll have to adjust. Even if there were no pets in someone's building, all day long they are likely coming into contact with any number of people who are covered in dander and thus a risk to their allergy. Again, you learn to deal. It's stupid simple. I request alternative seating if at a restaurant, for example. I do not put my hands in my mouth unless they've been washed, I limit things like hugs or handshakes if I suspect one of my allergens will be present on a person, I don't roll around and hang out in hallways, etc. I had a neighbor who needed to use essential oils for her mental health. I'm allergic, and quite so. I couldn't imagine telling the landlord that he needed to ban their use in the building. I simply found a way to live so that the other tenant could also live well despite her illness or disability.

Stupid simple.

As for slumlord being a different topic, sure, start a new one. I use the term to indicate that I think the entire profession tends toward, at the very least, highly unethical and harmful to the population.
Since you have such disdain for the “profession”, why don’t you buy your own place instead of renting someone else’s place?

Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Since you have such disdain for the “profession”, why don’t you buy your own place instead of renting someone else’s place?

That is too stupid simple a solution, right? No wonder so many landlords won’t rent...

Old 01-08-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Working on it. Wouldn't it be great if we could all afford houses and slumlords didn't drive up the cost of real estate? Would also be great if I had stood up for myself before and not settled only for the only house that allowed pets which was more expensive than I could afford. I could have been nearly at a down payment with savings if I had just been forceful with landlords about my need for a service dog.

Quote:
That is too stupid simple a solution, right? No wonder so many landlords won’t rent...
If landlords won't rent, then they aren't a landlord. They are just a homeowner

Old 01-08-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Working on it. Wouldn't it be great if we could all afford houses and slumlords didn't drive up the cost of real estate? Would also be great if I had stood up for myself before and not settled only for the only house that allowed pets which was more expensive than I could afford. I could have been nearly at a down payment with savings if I had just been forceful with landlords about my need for a service dog.

If landlords won't rent, then they aren't a landlord. They are just a homeowner
EXACTLY! Fewer rentals for all because of abusing renters.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
EXACTLY! Fewer rentals for all because of abusing renters.
I'm sure you'll have some made up story about 'abusive' renters, so I'll focus on the other part.

Fewer rentals, lower cost of housing, more houses available, etc.

But slumlords could also always just be mildly decent people. Maybe don't discriminate, or be clear that you're a discriminating landlord. Not clearly advertising that is so deceitful, don't you think?

Old 01-08-2018, 11:02 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,644 times
Quote:

Stupid simple.

I am no longer replying to the thread after this, I've been reading it for days now and didn't really feel like posting but it actually irks me your tonality of intentionally being deceitful and hateful towards those who try and take care of their things or tenants. If a person truly does not want you renting from them you will go out of your way to get in there and cause grief. For this, I do not respect you and those like you. Disgraceful.

Goodluck with your endeavors or whatever it is you want to do with yourself. Simple solution is get a bigger income ideally, if I want a new car and can't afford the one I want, I would use what I had to save money in mean time and find a way to earn the extra cash to get it or some compromise, not lie about my income, get a loan and then try and get the loaner for predatory lending of some sort when issues arise. Not really a good example but whatever the point is there.

Stop it and be honest and upfront like a normal person.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I am no longer replying to the thread after this, I've been reading it for days now and didn't really feel like posting but it actually irks me your tonality of intentionally being deceitful and hateful towards those who try and take care of their things or tenants. If a person truly does not want you renting from them you will go out of your way to get in there and cause grief. For this, I do not respect you and those like you. Disgraceful.

Goodluck with your endeavors or whatever it is you want to do with yourself. Simple solution is get a bigger income ideally, if I want a new car and can't afford the one I want, I would use what I had to save money in mean time and find a way to earn the extra cash to get it or some compromise, not lie about my income, get a loan and then try and get the loaner for predatory lending of some sort when issues arise. Not really a good example but whatever the point is there.

Stop it and be honest and upfront like a normal person.
I have no obligation to tell some random stranger about my disability upon first meeting. Probably not even on second, third, fourth, etc meeting. That you think some landlord is obligated to know this sort of personal information at first meeting is outrageous.

Furthermore, that you think the problem lies with a potential tenant and not the landlord who didn't indicate clearly that s/he is one who actively discriminates protected classes is telling. Why are these scumbags allowed to claim EOH when in fact they are not and why are you ok with it?

I'm glad you know how to buy a new car. Many people have had to lie in the past in order to secure loans because discrimination in the industry was unfettered. Thankfully we've largely reigned that in. It's not the case with housing. Slumlords are in such a position of power that they do whatever they want because they know the chances of being challenged are slim. I'm challenging. In the meantime, my not stating to a potential landlord that I have a disability led me to getting an apartment that is more than low enough that this time next year I'll be sitting in my own house. I sure hope that even after buying I'll be able to continue with this issue of filing complaints against deserving landlords.

Stop being so hateful of disabled people and be helpful to them like a decent person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting