Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:32 AM

304 posts, read 295,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Wanting better for the disabled makes such a nice PC front for you. Not all disabled people are willing to cheat or lie to get their way, but that kind of deceptiveness is what you have been defending on this thread. True colors indeed.

Landlords AND tenants should be held accountable for their actions, period.
I bet you're the type who thinks I'm cheating and lying when I don't mention I'm a big fat lesbo, right? It's not like LGBT are a protected class in much of the country, certainly not where I live, but by your logic, some landlords do things like talk to imaginary sky fairies that tell them that gay folks are bad and so those slumlords might not want a lesbo in their dwelling so I should just tell them immediately right? Just like I should tell them immediately that I'm disabled because maybe they don't want a disabled person. I need to walk right up to them and say "Hi, I'm raisins and I'm gay and will likely be banging some women in this space and I'm also disabled and so will be doing disabled things like utilizing specialized medical equipment, including a service dog." Anything less and I'm just a lying cheater who deceives, doesn't matter that this so called "honesty" would and has resulted in decreased housing choice.

What sort of despicable person do you have to be to think that walking up and asking to discuss the property before revealing very private information about yourself that could result in lack of housing is deceptive? Truly, horrid.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Wanting better for the disabled makes such a nice PC front for you. Not all disabled people are willing to cheat or lie to get their way, but that kind of deceptiveness is what you have been defending on this thread. True colors indeed.

Landlords AND tenants should be held accountable for their actions, period.
Indeed.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:39 AM

"So called" honesty?

What the hell?

You are either telling the truth, or you are not.

You are either being deceptive or you are not.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:42 AM

There is no comparison between telling a prospective landlord that you are a lesbian to telling your prospective landlord that a dog will be moving in with you.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There is no comparison between telling a prospective landlord that you are a lesbian to telling your prospective landlord that a dog will be moving in with you.
Yes there is. Gay and disabled are two groups that are notoriously discriminated against. Telling them in the first seconds of meeting risks discimination. Waiting until you've seen the property and have had a chance to talk to the landlord first reduces that risk. Of course if I were asked if I had a dog and I said no, then you'd have a point. But obviously that's not the case. I'm merely choosing not to reveal a disability until it becomes relevant (like being invited to fill out an application, for example).

Completely baffling that any person would think this is deceptive. True colors indeed.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:54 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Lol. You sound like a joy to be around.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol. You seem nice.
Being nice cost me too much. I like it better this way. According to the group I'm now working with, they all feel much the same. Disabled discrimination is a huge problem. I'm glad I'm in a place where I can fight against it.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
Yes there is. Gay and disabled are two groups that are notoriously discriminated against. Telling them in the first seconds of meeting risks discimination. Waiting until you've seen the property and have had a chance to talk to the landlord first reduces that risk. Of course if I were asked if I had a dog and I said no, then you'd have a point. But obviously that's not the case. I'm merely choosing not to reveal a disability until it becomes relevant (like being invited to fill out an application, for example).

Completely baffling that any person would think this is deceptive. True colors indeed.
Do you honestly believe what you're posting here?

The time to reveal you will be moving in with a dog is when you fill out your application. Why you would ever need to tell the landlord that in addition to having a disability your are also a lesbian is somewhat of a mystery. What difference would it make?

Though if you are ordering a wedding cake, you might want to keep that lesbian business on the down low.

Also a mystery is why you are calling people "disabled."

"Person with a disability" is the more accepted terminology as there are a lot of aspects to a person besides their disability.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
Being nice cost me too much. I like it better this way. According to the group I'm now working with, they all feel much the same. Disabled discrimination is a huge problem. I'm glad I'm in a place where I can fight against it.
Winning any battles there lately with this vindictive approach?

Old 01-10-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Do you honestly believe what you're posting here?

The time to reveal you will be moving in with a dog is when you fill out your application. Why you would ever need to tell the landlord that in addition to having a disability your are also a lesbian is somewhat of a mystery. What difference would it make?

Though if you are ordering a wedding cake, you might want to keep that lesbian business on the down low.
Wow. Of course I believe what I'm writing. I also have empirical evidence that back it up. People who are gay or people with disabilities are groups that suffer discrimination. Posters who claim I must immediately state my historically discriminated issue prior to any conversation utilize the sort of logic that would apply to other historically discriminated issues, like being gay, or even being of a certain religion. Only thankfully being disabled is a protected class so I have recourse. You ask what difference it makes? That's what I want to know. What difference does it make to the landlord if I'm a disabled person. What reason does he have to need that information immediately upon meeting me? I give him this ifnromation immediately and I've opened myself up to be discriminated against. It's already happened. It happens reguarly. I've mentioned several times how I'm perceived differently when I have my service dog right next to me (and I'm lucky that I have a very well behaved dog) than when I

Quote:
Also a mystery is why you are calling people "disabled."

"Person with a disability" is the more accepted terminology as there are a lot of aspects to a person besides their disability.
Fair enough. Mea culpa to anyone I've offended with this terminology.
Quote:
Winning any battles there lately with this vindictive approach?
Um, yes. How much clearer do I need to be here? I have acquired very affordable housing with this so called "vindictive" approach. Vindictive being undertaking a mission to ensure that landlords are following the laws and making sure they have consequences (like education) when they choose to discriminate. I mean seriously, there comes a point when you simply have to accept that you're a pretty terrible person if you have a problem with that. The local group I'm working with has tons of personal stories about how they were routinely denied housing due to disability. "Don't ever tell them you are disabled, they at least can't kick you out for it once you're in" is a common phrase I hear. It's my experience too. Why on earth would any decent person want those who are disabled to suffer this way? What sort of decent person calls someone who does what they can to improve the system "vindictive" and places no blame on landlords who discriminate?

Hint, you're not a decent person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting