Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,194 times

Advertisements

1st day we moved into our new house the male landlord told my grandson he could ride his dirtbike until 7pm he also told my older grandson he could ride the sitting lawn mower, next day property manager called accussing us of sneaking a dirt bike in without permission, telling us to cease riding, and an addendum would follow, I refused to sign thinking if they are already changing the rules what is next, I offered to sign if we could go month to month instead of 1 yr., next day addendum cancelled but a letter forbidding any riding also sent county ordinance, but didn't realize a tenant could ride on private property, we didn't ride but a couple weeks later my sons dog was very sick I asked to watch while he was at work, again landlord refused said lease said we could only have a 22 lb dog, that was it, from day one problems I knew this was going to be impossible, the landlords had the neighbors video my grandson riding, I gave a 30 day notice and found a new place, paying another mover, very sad to leave our beautiful home but continual problems from day 1 made it impossibe now of course landlord is refusing to return deposit, even though did not send dispositon of funds within the 21 day law, until I emailed them on it. they are accussing us of breaking the lease whenI say they made it impossible for us to stay.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 07:45 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Paragraphs please. And, I cannot read runon sentences.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:59 PM

671 posts, read 445,465 times
None of that makes sense.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:03 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
I once lived in a beautiful, expensive neighborhood that backed up onto state land. Some low class but wealthy people in the neighborhood would let their kids ride ATVs and dirt bikes (illegally) through the state land, and even on the streets. The ATVs and dirt bikes were very noisy. It really disturbed our peaceful enjoyment of our home. The cops would try to catch them on the state land (or so they said), but nothing ever was done about them.

We sold our house and moved away.

My point is, there's a REASON why the LL is not permitting dirt bike riding! And yes, if you want to do this at home, buy yourself a couple of hundred acres in an unincorporated area (which of course will have well and septic, and you pay for garbage pickup, and no fire and police services), and do whatever the hell you want to out in your own little redneck heaven.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeld2 View Post
1st day we moved into our new house the male landlord told my grandson he could ride his dirtbike until 7pm he also told my older grandson he could ride the sitting lawn mower, next day property manager called accussing us of sneaking a dirt bike in without permission, telling us to cease riding, and an addendum would follow, I refused to sign thinking if they are already changing the rules what is next, I offered to sign if we could go month to month instead of 1 yr.,

So did they agree to a MTM rather than the year lease? If not, you’re n a year lease and you can’t just move away.

next day addendum cancelled but a letter forbidding any riding also sent county ordinance, but didn't realize a tenant could ride on private property,

Why don’t you take your dirt bikes to a place where it’s legal to ride rather than your back yard where you’re bother8ng ALL your neighbors and breaking the rules.

we didn't ride but a couple weeks later my sons dog was very sick I asked to watch while he was at work, again landlord refused said lease said we could only have a 22 lb dog, that was it,

What does the lease state as far as the size/weight/type of pet? If your dog is over the stated agreed size weight type then you are breaking the lease.

from day one problems I knew this was going to be impossible, the landlords had the neighbors video my grandson riding, I gave a 30 day notice and found a new place, paying another mover, very sad to leave our beautiful home

It’s not your home. You are agreeing to have use of the house and follow certain set rules in return for a paying of that use

but continual problems from day 1 made it impossibe now of course landlord is refusing to return deposit, even though did not send dispositon of funds within the 21 day law, until I emailed them on it. they are accussing us of breaking the lease whenI say they made it impossible for us to stay.

Is ANYTHING that was “allowed” by the LL like the bike riding or the dog written in the lease? If not then it’s not allowed regardless of what was “said”
What you aught to do next time is to get everything that’s agreed upon/allowed in writing.
So when you say
the lease goes from yearly to month to month
LL allowed us to ride dirt bikes
I can have x dog
that should be in writing,

If it’s not in writing it didn’t happen

Old 01-07-2018, 10:52 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Well yeah. I allow dirt bikes, if what you mean is one of those bicycles intended for off road riding (mountain bike), but I don't allow motorized ones. I'm going to guess that you didn't make it clear that you meant a motorcycle and not a muscle power bicycle.

The dog issue, you should have gotten that cleared up before signing the lease and then gotten it in writing. In future, if you want to babysit a sick oversize dog, you go to the dog's house and babysit it there. You don't babysit a dog at your rental without permission and you most certainly don't bring in a sick dog to contaminate the area and surrounding dirt and maybe infect neighbors' dogs.

No, you don't really get to break a lease and move out because you don't get to ride your motorcycle around all day, so, yes, you owe noticd, lease break fee, whatever the lease says about how to break the lease...... or what your state law says about how to break the lease.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:34 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
1st day we moved into our new house the male landlord told my grandson he could ride his dirtbike until 7pm he also told my older grandson he could ride the sitting lawn mower, next day property manager called accussing us of sneaking a dirt bike in without permission, telling us to cease riding, and an addendum would follow, I refused to sign thinking if they are already changing the rules what is next, I offered to sign if we could go month to month instead of 1 yr., next day addendum cancelled but a letter forbidding any riding also sent county ordinance, but didn't realize a tenant could ride on private property, we didn't ride but a couple weeks later my sons dog was very sick I asked to watch while he was at work, again landlord refused said lease said we could only have a 22 lb dog, that was it, from day one problems I knew this was going to be impossible, the landlords had the neighbors video my grandson riding, I gave a 30 day notice and found a new place, paying another mover, very sad to leave our beautiful home but continual problems from day 1 made it impossibe now of course landlord is refusing to return deposit, even though did not send dispositon of funds within the 21 day law, until I emailed them on it. they are accussing us of breaking the lease whenI say they made it impossible for us to stay.
Wow, what a complete mess YOU made by not understanding your lease or asking important questions before agreeing to one. You made it impossible to stay in that "beautiful house" all by yourselves.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:24 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
FWIW, this is WHY I always give a reference copy of the lease and all attachments for any prospective tenants to take home to review before anything is signed.

If there are any objections to my standard lease, both sides should know about it upfront. After the final lease is signed there should be zero confusion about what's expected by all parties.

Last edited by tommy64; 01-07-2018 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 09:27 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I once lived in a beautiful, expensive neighborhood that backed up onto state land. Some low class but wealthy people in the neighborhood would let their kids ride ATVs and dirt bikes (illegally) through the state land, and even on the streets. The ATVs and dirt bikes were very noisy. It really disturbed our peaceful enjoyment of our home. The cops would try to catch them on the state land (or so they said), but nothing ever was done about them.

We sold our house and moved away.

My point is, there's a REASON why the LL is not permitting dirt bike riding! And yes, if you want to do this at home, buy yourself a couple of hundred acres in an unincorporated area (which of course will have well and septic, and you pay for garbage pickup, and no fire and police services), and do whatever the hell you want to out in your own little redneck heaven.
Not only noise but riding ATVs/dirt bikes causes damage to the grass/yard. If I were a LL, I would not want distinct bike paths throughout my property.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:29 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Quote:
they are accussing us of breaking the lease whenI say they made it impossible for us to stay.
You did break the lease, assuming they didn't go month-to-month when you requested it. You could be charged for several months worth of rent if it were written into the lease.

I'm not sure what kind of dirt bike you are referring to, but "dirt bike" to me means a manual bike used to ride dirt courses, not motorized in any way. To other people, it may mean a motorized bike (like a mini-motorcycle). Sounds like maybe you and the landlord weren't talking about the same kind of dirt bike. With regards to the dog, if a large dog isn't allowed in your lease, then it's not allowed. Just babysitting it for someone else for a day still counts as having a dog on the premises. I'm not surprised they didn't want that to happen (plus, as others mentioned, a sick dog is not a pleasant thing for home or property).

I seriously doubt the two incidents you list here would make any judge feel they made it "impossible" for you to stay. Not having seen your lease, I don't know what it said about these issues specifically, but it sounds like clarifying some of these issues up front would have helped you. Hope you have better luck in your new place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Paragraphs please. And, I cannot read runon sentences.
The run-on sentences definitely made interpreting the post a challenge! I missed a few things the first two times through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting