Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:21 AM

392 posts, read 1,093,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Just make sure that the staff did enter without notice versus your parents advance age led to them forgetting about the notice.
I asked them when we were talking on the phone tonight and my dad said that the guy definitely just cruised right in with no notice. My parents were unaware of any issues that needed maintenance - they were snug in their bed and were awakened when they heard a voice and the ceiling light came on.

But yeah, Mom could/would totally forget about notice - I'm sad to say that she forgot this was the weekend I'm flying in for my dad's b-day, she asked when I was coming back to see them and was shocked that it is this soon.

She misses their house and felt more safe there (although they weren't, but at least nobody could just walk in - only family had keys, unlike now where several different individuals on the property have access). I really need to get the entry/privacy issue sorted out for them while I'm there (and I will).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 01:14 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
OP, it must be so hard for you, to wonder and worry about your parents, what may be actually happening or is just paranoia caused by dementia.

I highly suggest you look into the camera's in this link. I have several of them. All of mine are 100% wireless. Set up is extremely easy. You can see in real time, back up to your computer and get alerts (5 second gifs) sent directly to your phone plus it has 2 way audio, night vision and is motion activated. The picture and audio are extremely clear. I absolutely love them. I have caught some amazing footage on my outdoor ones. (I posted a while back about it).

https://www.google.com/search?q=zmod...w=1252&bih=582

Old 02-04-2018, 02:42 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
My parents moved to an independent living apartment/villa last year. They have never rented before so it's an all-new experience for them. Before moving, they lived in their own single-family home for more than fifty years and there they had a monitored security system - now in this new place they are not allowed to install a security system.

It's not like they have a ton of valuables - not at all. Yet their things are important to them - even though chances are good that if it was a snatch and grab situation, thieves would walk in and think other thieves had already been there (tongue in cheek, but there is a LOT of stuff sitting around!) It's obvious that it's not expensive furniture - it seems like it'd be obvious that it's not a gold mine in there in any way, shape or form.

I feel that they are actually safer where they are now compared to when they lived in their house - from burglars or a home invasion - because in an apartment, it's more difficult to tell when people come and go and whether they are home or not.

I think for them, it's more just knowing that maintenance and the front staff and housekeeping all have keys and can come and go at any time. And while there is supposed to be twelve hours notice to enter in Florida, the maintenance guys have shown up and entered in the mornings while my parents are still in their bed - not because of an emergency situation like water leak or fire, which would be totally understandable - but just because that's when it's convenient for their schedule.

I am going to talk to maintenance about this notice to enter - and housekeeping has a standing time each week to come in (although if my parents are going to be away during that time then they ask the housekeeping not to come in) - but the other problem is that my parents are feeling shaky about leaving their things unattended and are wary that the staff can just come in at any time - and might be coming in at any time when they are not there.

Tim and I have rented more places than we've owned - I, too, wanted to be around when maintenance was in for repairs and as far as I know, they didn't enter without permission in any place we've ever lived. So I understand my parents' feelings - it's just more new and weird for them because they've not done it before.

There's a certain element of trust when you rent, I realize this.

But it's hard explaining this to 85-year-olds - that it's unlikely that anyone is coming in and rooting through their things when they are gone (especially when there are a ton of apartments that actually need work done - and when they are home a lot of the time). And it's complicated because maintenance does come in, and has come in, without notice when they are there - so why wouldn't they think they were coming in with no notice when they were gone?

So their lease says no security system allowed - but I'm thinking that means monitored and windows and doors armed with a code and all. Would you think it would work to put the sensors on the doors so they would alarm if they were opened - that would solve the entry when they are home problem. And I'm thinking about a motion-sensing camera or two (or three) that would push a notification to my dad's iPhone if it picked up motion when they are away.

Maybe overkill, that - but I know how I would feel if I was in their situation now and I would like to do what I can to make them feel more safe from intrusion. I'm not worried about anyone actually doing anything to their things - I would just like to make it where they know if someone has been inside when they're not there and have a way they can scope it out - and have it alarm if they are in their bed and maintenance comes back !

It should seem like common sense to do some of this (for me) - but does anyone have suggestions of what worked for them or for their parents in the same type of situation?
First off, under no circumstances should maintenance come in without knocking never mind notice. Make them send you a text as well as notifying your parents that they need to enter on a certain date and time. This way you can make sure your parents are up and aware and not scared. Install a ring doorbell and have the app on both your phone and your brother's. Your parents will need internet for this to work. https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/ar...th-Other-Users Having this might make them feel more secure that people can't enter who aren't supposed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting