Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:24 PM

227 posts, read 257,915 times

Advertisements

Open a separate bank account and use it just to pay rent with then you don't have to track when they are cashing the checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 11:53 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
FYI, my bank won't ash checks older than three months. I think the idea of a separate account for rent would be the best. Money orders I would not want to depend on as a record of payments.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:55 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
We have a new LL and they are strongly encouraging tenants to sign up for PAP (not sure what it stand for but something to do with LL having access to take your rent money automatically)

The last couple of months, I've dated my check prior to the 1st of the month and submitted it and noticed that the check was not cashed until almost two weeks later. Then the LL posted signs everywhere throughout the building to encourage that tenants visit the office to sign up for PAP.

I have not spoken to a lot of tenants, but the ones that I've bumped into somewhat regularly, expressed that they have no interest to use PAP and rather write up a check and I agree with them.

This time, I did't pay my rent prior to the due date, only submitted it early, post dated. It has been 8 days and the check is not cashed in yet.

Have you experienced this and do you have any advice for me? I am not happy with this new LL on not cashing in the check within reasonable time and it make it harder to keep track of my budget and not to dip into the rent money.

How long can the LL wait before they can cash in the check? How should I handle this problem with the LL or should I avoid complaining because that would attract negative attention from the LL?

I also want to make it clear that there is no way that the LL didn't get my check because less then 24 hours, they are absolutely quick to issue eviction notice due to no payment or bounced check.

Also, a few weeks ago, I saw a cockroach on my floor hallway wall. Later on the same day, I saw a sign that the LL will send someone to address the cockroach problem and posted specific units for everyone to see who has issues with cockroaches. (My unit was not listed and I haven't seen any in my home)
It appears that majority of the units are the opposite side of my unit, the same side as the garbage disposal shoot and I've noticed on my floor, people dumping their garbage bag and pizza boxes on the floor instead of dropping it down the shoot. I've also seen people place the garbage bag in the shoot doorway so that it is stuck there so that someone else has to push it down the shoot and leave the door open.

I just got back from the garbage disposal room and saw a cockroach...a young one and this is after a contractor was sent to deal with the cockroaches.
As a tenant, I guess there is nothing I can do, but I don't want cockroaches in my home!
Do you have any advice for me?
There is something called Pan American Properties where you pay rent online. Does that sound like what your PAP is?

Old 03-09-2018, 12:00 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I found what PAP is online. Here's a sample form:

http://www.landlord.net/forms/preauthorizeddebit.pdf

I wouldn't ever do this, myself. It's an approval for an automatic deduction every month from your bank account.
That states "PAD" on the form in the link you posted, not "PAP", unless of course the OP has it incorrect.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Just learn to manage it better from your side. This is all on you unless they are taking months to cash it. A couple of weeks isn't really that long.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:53 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
PAP = pre-authorized payment(s)

I have a mix of writing checks, paying online, and automatic withdrawals (these would be considered a PAP method). I've never once had an issue with automatic withdrawals.

For fixed expenses, I receive notification if there is an upcoming withdrawal that differs from the fixed amount (rare). For fluctutating expenses, I receive an email monthly saying "$XX.XX will be automatically deducted from your account on March 31, 2018. If you wish to make any changes, please go *link* or call *number*."

It's really not that sinister.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:59 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
We have a new LL and they are strongly encouraging tenants to sign up for PAP (not sure what it stand for but something to do with LL having access to take your rent money automatically)

The last couple of months, I've dated my check prior to the 1st of the month and submitted it and noticed that the check was not cashed until almost two weeks later. Then the LL posted signs everywhere throughout the building to encourage that tenants visit the office to sign up for PAP.

I have not spoken to a lot of tenants, but the ones that I've bumped into somewhat regularly, expressed that they have no interest to use PAP and rather write up a check and I agree with them.

This time, I did't pay my rent prior to the due date, only submitted it early, post dated. It has been 8 days and the check is not cashed in yet.

Have you experienced this and do you have any advice for me? I am not happy with this new LL on not cashing in the check within reasonable time and it make it harder to keep track of my budget and not to dip into the rent money.

How long can the LL wait before they can cash in the check? How should I handle this problem with the LL or should I avoid complaining because that would attract negative attention from the LL?

I also want to make it clear that there is no way that the LL didn't get my check because less then 24 hours, they are absolutely quick to issue eviction notice due to no payment or bounced check.

Also, a few weeks ago, I saw a cockroach on my floor hallway wall. Later on the same day, I saw a sign that the LL will send someone to address the cockroach problem and posted specific units for everyone to see who has issues with cockroaches. (My unit was not listed and I haven't seen any in my home)
It appears that majority of the units are the opposite side of my unit, the same side as the garbage disposal shoot and I've noticed on my floor, people dumping their garbage bag and pizza boxes on the floor instead of dropping it down the shoot. I've also seen people place the garbage bag in the shoot doorway so that it is stuck there so that someone else has to push it down the shoot and leave the door open.

I just got back from the garbage disposal room and saw a cockroach...a young one and this is after a contractor was sent to deal with the cockroaches.
As a tenant, I guess there is nothing I can do, but I don't want cockroaches in my home!
What is your goal here besides complaining ? Is your concern the checks or the roaches ?

You could pay your rent in bank checks then if/when they are cashed is not your problem. Really dealing with checks is a PIA - especially when echecks and autopayments are so easy nowadays. Oh and eight days does not sound like alot. If he doesn't cash them in 90 days or 180 (depending on the bank) you can cancel them.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:32 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Sounds like a personal problem.

Either learn how to balance your checking account or pay with money orders, cashiers checks, or online like he’s asking.

Your landlord is cashing your check in a reasonable amount of time. My landlord owns 12 units, rent is due on the first; she does not cash checks until all the checks have been received from all of her tenants

Old 03-09-2018, 11:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:

Pap is either pre authorized payment or purchase? I’m pretty sure it’s a pull type payment from your account. This way if the money isn’t there he can start eviction. Basically saying on the 1st I’m tapping your account for rent payment. I see more LLs going with this type of pull payment. I’m contemplating it as it’s basically a I got my money or you’re gonna get 3day pay or quit notices. So far my tenants pay on time so I dont need to be this drastic.

As long as your lease states the type of payment the LL accepts you can pay by any of those. If the lease states only one type of payment that’s how you pay. (The LL can amend the lease with proper notice as to what payment is accepted)

When all my tenants paid by check I waited until all the rents came in. To get multiple payments at different days it makes for a busy time. So I waited. As far as the time basically once you write a check it’s basically considered a cash payment and if you bounce it the person can take you to court.

I highly prefer online payments over mail in payment.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:50 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I found what PAP is online. Here's a sample form:

http://www.landlord.net/forms/preauthorizeddebit.pdf

I wouldn't ever do this, myself. It's an approval for an automatic deduction every month from your bank account.

On the other hand, I'd love it if my landlord let me pay my rent online. But, that wouldn't give them permission to get into my bank account every month.
It's still not permission for them to "get into your bank account". It's the same as setting up an automatic payment with a credit card or anyone else. There's nothing sinister about it and your landlord doesn't have access to your account, only to claim the pre-authorized payment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting