Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,143 times

Advertisements

I rented a room in a house and paid all my rent up front for a year. I am 6 months in and now I am moving out because I can go move in with a friend for cheaper and I know him. The landlord is trying to keep the money I paid because he said that he wants to find a renter since I gave only a months notice. Can he keep my money? Or does he have to pay it back? Should I take him to court to try and get my money back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 PM

808 posts, read 3,638,531 times
Default Is It My Money?

What does the contract say regarding lease termination?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,561,189 times
Oh boy I can not wait to hear the answers to this one.

Why why why would you give up a year rent in advance?

Can you at least find a friend to sub-let the apartment to?

I guess whatever the answers are will depend on what your lease agreement says.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 10,143 times
It was on a month to month standing! there was no lease agreement. They had a room for rent, so I rented it and told them that I wanted to pay up front to dodge having to keep up with paying every month. I just need some strong advice on if he has to give my money back. Or if since I paid in full he just gets to keep it since I chose to move out on my own free will.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 PM

415 posts, read 1,714,530 times
Did you get ANYTHING in writing? How about a receipt?

There are tenant laws in Texas if you don't have a lease, but you'd probably want to talk to an attorney. Usually, not having a lease happens after a fixed term lease expires, then you fall back on what was in the old lease, but you don't have even that. An attorney can let you know what to expect, even if you don't sue the guy.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,135,670 times
Try small claims court. I have had luck with my daughter's having a problem getting a deposit back. We represented ourselves and the court ruled in our favor. It is a rather simple process, does not require attorneys. The major thing is to have witnesses in your favor and some kind of paper work--cancelled checks from your bank, for example. Leases and such are better, but we won with a cancelled check and witnesses (friends) who saw the condition of the property before my daughter moved in and testified that the damage was done before she took possession. These folks had ripped off four renters in a row for the same damage in the bathroom--which we noted when we moved in. They told us they would repair it, didn't, and tried to charge the repairs against the deposit. I guess we were the first to fight it. My daughter met the previous tenant through her next door neighbor, and they then took the same folks to small claims court and got their money back.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 PM

15,245 posts, read 35,499,486 times
That is a hard one to fight w/o some other evidence. It can be argued that you agreed to a verbal one year lease by paying up front.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,344,115 times
not specific to Texas..you may want to post this in the forum re housing or business/finances/law...or some CD forum...there you will amazingly find people with all kinds of knowledge in specific areas

Old 03-25-2008, 09:53 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,117,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
not specific to Texas...
My thoughts exactly.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,475,753 times
Moving won't be cheaper if you have to pay for both places...

I would have a hard time defending you... you paid for a year and now you are leaving early... it is true the owner has to mitigate loss by diligently trying find a new renter...

How about you find the renter and the owner refunds all the unused rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting