Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:24 PM

151 posts, read 526,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
how do you know the seller has done nothing to improve the place? have you been inside the condo? is your condo on the market? is the single mother of two your direct neighbor - could understand why you would be bothered if they are your direct neighbor? do other people in the complex know the single mother with two children are renting? maybe others (the older retired people) living in the complex know she is renting but have decided to let it slide because she is a single mother.

if you feel reporting them is the best thing to do then report them. you also said the seller has rented for 4 years, guessing you knew about the renting 4 years ago. why did you not doing something back then? why now?
I know there have been no improvements because of the pictures in the marketing material (poorly taken pix, by the way).
No, my condo is not on the market.
They are in the unit above me.
They just moved in a couple of weeks ago, not sure if anyone else knows they are renting. I know because the owner took no care to keep her voice down when discussing terms outside while I sat on my deck.
Knew about the previous tenant for about a year, but she was quiet, no problems so we didn't worry about it, assumed it was a one-time deal, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 04:24 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,604,028 times
How are these renters. Do they behave and are not doing anything bad? If so I would leave it. Do you rather have an empty home which can result in a ghost town if more people move which can be bad to get another buyer.
If these tenants are horrible I would call the HOA.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,909,086 times
I get where you're going with this, let's see if I have it right. You now live below a unit with kids that desturb your formaly quiet building with runing,stomping etc. You know that the unit is rented against the covenents and since the prior tenent was quiet didn't care but now wonder what you can/should do, right so far?
Having lived in apts where this was above us I can relate and here's what I'd do. I'd talk with the owner of the unit and explain that this is not what you purchased when you bought your unit and that certainly you understand their position in this market but cannot take the noise anymore and would appriciate some consideration. I would ask that they talk to the tenent and have them quite down. If that doesn't work or you get grief I'd then let the owners know that you will proceed to enforce the covenents and that it will be painful for all involved but you really need your quiet. I'd then (in writing) let the HOA know what's going on and give them 30 days to remedy the situation. I'd also read my covenents and I'll bet they say something like "the hoa or any owner can enforce these covenents and all attorneys fees will be paid by the losing side" or something to that effect. Covenents can usually be enforced by a court ordering them to cease and desist since fines are usually usless and hard to collect.
Good luck, hopefully you're prepared for some flack no matter what you do, just think it all through completely before you jump.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 PM

395 posts, read 488,239 times
I don't know where u live. But here in nyc last time I check unlike a coop...when u own a condo u actually own what is inside the apt building just like a real house. So u can do whatever the hell u wanna. Knock down walls (not load bearing of course), paint any colors on the wall, rent it out etc. So myob lady, miss snitch. If u don't really like u can always move and this time buy a detached house so this time u don't share the same walls with ur neighbors.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:20 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,662,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
I don't know where u live. But here in nyc last time I check unlike a coop...when u own a condo u actually own what is inside the apt building just like a real house. So u can do whatever the hell u wanna. Knock down walls (not load bearing of course), paint any colors on the wall, rent it out etc. So myob lady, miss snitch. If u don't really like u can always move and this time buy a detached house so this time u don't share the same walls with ur neighbors.
Many detached home HOAs also prohibit renting, to discourage investor-owners.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Many detached home HOAs also prohibit renting, to discourage investor-owners.
where? but i can tell u not in nyc. doesnt that defeat the whole purpose of buying your own property? i understand this situation in a coop. but not in a house and condo. one of the main reason why most ppl buy a house or condo is so other ppl aka landlord can't tell them what to do in their apt. if this is the case, you may as well keep renting if you not allow to do any damn thing in your properties.

back to the original op...the only choice for you is to move if u dont like what your neighbor is doing. sad but true.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,579,095 times
Quote:
where? but i can tell u not in nyc. doesnt that defeat the whole purpose of buying your own property? i understand this situation in a coop. but not in a house and condo. one of the main reason why most ppl buy a house or condo is so other ppl aka landlord can't tell them what to do in their apt. if this is the case, you may as well keep renting if you not allow to do any damn thing in your properties.

back to the original op...the only choice for you is to move if u dont like what your neighbor is doing. sad but true.
There are things called deed restrictions, declarations of condominiums, HOA rules and regulations that govern what can and can not be done with a property.
This includes SFH, Condos, etc.
If the documents say that the unit can not be rented out then when you purchase the unit you agree to these rules.

You continually give bad information in this and other threads. People come here looking for answers and you are giving all the wrong ones.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 AM

and im telling u that most condo here in nyc allow u to do whateva the hell u want (provided u follow state/city laws)...it is ur property.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
There are things called deed restrictions, declarations of condominiums, HOA rules and regulations that govern what can and can not be done with a property.
This includes SFH, Condos, etc.
If the documents say that the unit can not be rented out then when you purchase the unit you agree to these rules.

You continually give bad information in this and other threads. People come here looking for answers and you are giving all the wrong ones.
ok thank u for clearing it up...now u inform buyers out there when they buy a condo, they would adhere to the many restrictions as if they were renting. this will give them 2nd thoughts and maybe look elsewhere where other condo allow u to do whatever the hell u wanna do inside ur apt.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,579,095 times
Quote:
ok thank u for clearing it up...now u inform buyers out there when they buy a condo, they would adhere to the many restrictions as if they were renting. this will give them 2nd thoughts and maybe look elsewhere where other condo allow u to do whatever the hell u wanna do inside ur apt.
It has been this way since before you were born.

You can buy a piece of land and be told what kind of house you can build, how big it has to be, what color it needs to be painted.

If you don't agree with the rules you don't buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting