Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:48 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenfrog6 View Post
I am about to face this same situation. I am trying to find a place with my boyfriend and we each have two cats....where on earth will we find an apartment to accept 4 cats? Neither of us is willing to give up our kitties. Its just not an option. Everywhere I have looked is very strict to 2 pets.
Can you rent a house? You might have more luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 10:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
How is anyone going to know if there are 3 or even 4? I have two cats and a dog, which violates the 2 pet rule, and it's very obvious because we all walk together. No one cares. I am not suggesting this would work anywhere, but I doubt that most people go around walking with all their cats.

I have a friend with 4 cats in an apartment and I doubt they allow 4 cats, but. Cats tend to hide when strangers come in.................

Old 05-20-2018, 08:51 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51945337
How is anyone going to know if there are 3 or even 4? .................
Sure. Just lie to the landlord, just like you are a person devoid of ethics. After all, the worst that can happen is a 72 hour notice to get rid of the cats, a notice to move out, a really bad landlord reference, and maybe an eviction on your record.

Well worth the risk to get everything your own way by defying the rules.

And pointing out that this lying cheating sneaking attitude by some pet owners goes a long way towards so many landlords not allowing any pets at all. Landlords don't want to bother to sort out the rule breakers from the responsible pet owners, so it is a blanket "no pets".

Old 05-20-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sure. Just lie to the landlord, just like you are a person devoid of ethics. After all, the worst that can happen is a 72 hour notice to get rid of the cats, a notice to move out, a really bad landlord reference, and maybe an eviction on your record.

Well worth the risk to get everything your own way by defying the rules.

And pointing out that this lying cheating sneaking attitude by some pet owners goes a long way towards so many landlords not allowing any pets at all. Landlords don't want to bother to sort out the rule breakers from the responsible pet owners, so it is a blanket "no pets".
I know you hate cats, but lighten up a little. If you did allow cats, why would 3 upset you if 2 are ok? Here, at least, the object is for people not to be crazy and be like animal hoarders.

Here's my hiding a cat story. The issue (in college) was coming up with the pet deposit. We got a notice that management was aware of our cat, and to pay the deposit by x date. They were really nice about it, maybe because we were college kids, IDK, but they didn't want to fine us or anything.

I asked the manager (who was really awesome - like a den mother at times) how she knew we got a cat? She said 'she sits behind the blinds all day. Rather obvious'.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:51 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
It's not difficult to know when someone has an illegal number of pets. No matter how much you may think you are being inconspicuous, people will know. Especially any decent landlord. Rules are rules and it doesn't matter why the rule exists. It is a rule so you should follow it and if you don't, then expect a quick and hasty eviction.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I know you hate cats, but lighten up a little. If you did allow cats, why would 3 upset you if 2 are ok? Here, at least, the object is for people not to be crazy and be like animal hoarders..........
I don't hate cats. I like cats. I think it is amusing to have an Itty bitty miniature lion living with me.

I don't object to 3 pets instead of two. I object to doing expensive financial business with a person who thinks it is clever to lie to me and deliberately deceive me. And additionally so if they are doing it to get out of paying rent or deposits that they owe, which puts them on the same footing as a thief.

As a tenant, you don't get upset if your landlord deliberately deceives you and lies to you, maybe hoping that by doing so, they can hurt you financially?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's not difficult to know when someone has an illegal number of pets. No matter how much you may think you are being inconspicuous, people will know. Especially any decent landlord. Rules are rules and it doesn't matter why the rule exists. It is a rule so you should follow it and if you don't, then expect a quick and hasty eviction.
Live on a 2nd or 3rd floor and think that people under you can’t tell there are animals? I lived under a single cat and could hear that cat leaping around at all hours since they don’t follow a normal human schedule. If you are a tenant hearing 4 cats zipping around an apartment leaping all over the place? Yeah, you’re going to know something is amiss. Particularly if the cats are more active. In many complexes, dogs may be limited to the first floor only, but cats aren’t...

Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Live on a 2nd or 3rd floor and think that people under you can’t tell there are animals? I lived under a single cat and could hear that cat leaping around at all hours since they don’t follow a normal human schedule. If you are a tenant hearing 4 cats zipping around an apartment leaping all over the place? Yeah, you’re going to know something is amiss. Particularly if the cats are more active. In many complexes, dogs may be limited to the first floor only, but cats aren’t...
I didn't know that. I am upstairs, but I have an older, low-energy dog. The neighbor can hear when she jumps down from bed or couch but that is about it. She might not have liked the dog I had before that ran up and down the hall playing fetch!

Old 05-21-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't hate cats. I like cats. I think it is amusing to have an Itty bitty miniature lion living with me.
I must have mixed you up with another LL who posts here. Yes, the miniature Lions and Panthers are fun!

Old 05-22-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I must have mixed you up with another LL who posts here. Yes, the miniature Lions and Panthers are fun!
Maybe not. I don't allow cats in my rentals. I got tired of paying to fix the expensive cat damage.

That does not mean I don't like cats. I just don't like irresponsible pet owners. Cat owners are very welcome to find another landlord who allows cats or to buy their own house and have all the cats they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting