Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 74,085 times

Advertisements

Before anyone gets concerned about cat hoarders and people who destroy apartments, let me assure you that I am not one of those people. I worked in the pet industry for years, volunteer for a local shelter and am almost obsessive/compulsive when it comes to nail clipping, grooming, vacuuming and keeping the litter box clean. They never go outside, do not wail and cry in the night, do not spray and are all fixed.

So, almost all apartment complexes down there are pet friendly and allow 2 cats. I have three and am not willing to part with any of them. I don't want to be in a position of potential eviction, fines or anything of the like. I hate having to be dishonest, but don't want trouble either.

Does anyone have experience with this scenario? Anyone who works for a complex have any suggestions/advice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
Do any of them look alike

Old 03-26-2008, 01:43 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Dishonest?

What they don't know, won't hurt them!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:47 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
[quote=rcarr121;3259319]Before anyone gets concerned about cat hoarders and people who destroy apartments, let me assure you that I am not one of those people. I worked in the pet industry for years, volunteer for a local shelter and am almost obsessive/compulsive when it comes to nail clipping, grooming, vacuuming and keeping the litter box clean. They never go outside, do not wail and cry in the night, do not spray and are all fixed.

So, almost all apartment complexes down there are pet friendly and allow 2 cats. I have three and am not willing to part with any of them. I don't want to be in a position of potential eviction, fines or anything of the like. I hate having to be dishonest, but don't want trouble either.

Does anyone have experience with this scenario? Anyone who works for a complex have any suggestions/advice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks![/QUOTE

You may want to try asking the apartment manager. When we had to move into a rental when we first moved to NC, we were over the allowed limit of pets. (We have 2 cats and 2 dogs.) I was honest with management, and they did allow us to move in. Maybe it was just this one complex, but it's worth a shot. You don't want to worry about having to move again once you're settled and management somehow finds out you have more cats than what's allowed. In this case, I believe it's better to be honest. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:26 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
I'm a very responsible, animal lover. Once I had two cats and a dog in a no pets allowed apartment. I also constantly broke the animal limit at others. I didn't intentionally want to be dishonest, but I had no other choice. For the most part, the managers knew. I made sure to pay my rent early, keep my place spotless, and be the best neighbor I could be. Never had a problem...

However, if you are caught, then you are usually asked to "fix" the situation by either moving or relocating one of the pets.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Three cats equal one dog so many managers might cut you some slack.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:27 PM

115 posts, read 464,122 times
I wouldn't worry about it. It's highly unlikely that anyone will find out or even care.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:27 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
I'm not trying to rock the boat here, but if you don't want to be dishonest then why not just find a place to rent that you can have 3 cats without breaking the terms of the lease? I know that might be easier said than done but it can't be impossible?

I'm looking at this from the other side. I'm about to sell a home or convert it into a rental and do NOT want pet owners. I realize this decreases my pool of potential renters but I am fine with that. I love animals and I know how I am with them but I see too many others who are just not responsible owners. Last, even if you are responsible, sometimes things happen with animals one just can't control. If I rent to someone and they tell me they don't and will not have a pet, I wouldn't take it lightly if they were anything less than truthful.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:59 AM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
I would be very uncomfortable having a third cat when my rental contract stated that I could only have 2 in the apartment. What if the management needs to repair something in your apartment? I personally hate having to hide something. I would negotiate with the apartment complex. They might allow a third cat if you offer to pay a slight fee for it.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 44,501 times
I know what you are going through. I am in a similar situation. My girlfriend and I have been looking for a place in the Baltimore area that allows 3 cats for months. EVERY affordable pet friendly place I have contacted have a non-flexable 2 cat policy. I've offered to pay more, but with no success.

I already have bad credit, so an eviction on my record would make is impossible to every find a place to live, with or without pets.

It's easy for non-pet lovers/owers to advise you to simply get rid of their pets, but for most pet owners, giving up a pet is simply not an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting