Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2018, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 792 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I need some advise since it is the first time I deal with this kind of problems. I had a tenant owe us around total of 5000 dollars. We filed eviction with damages at clerk of court. We send a lot of letter since 30 days and 3 days before this promised lease date. So I mailed several certified letters 30 days and 3 days pay or vacate ( total of notices ( total of 5 letters) and also go to the property twice to locked on the door trying to serve them the 3 days notices. Tenant pretended not there and refused opening the doors( because I heard loud talking voice inside the property and I go there at night and the lights are on) I knocked three times very loudly on door. But they are not opening the doors so I posted and taped those notices on door.

They refused all contacts: all the mails returned to my addresses but pretend they are not there. But they were still living inside our property.

We waited three days (4/10/2018) after we served them 3 days pay or vacate notice, we filed eviction on 4/11/2018). Clerk of court later on sent out summons letter to us and to the tenants.***

Later on, they send me a text saying that they moved out at 4/15/2018. And promise to pay the rent on 4/16/2018. Which is completely passed the date on three days pay and vacate.

So basically, they were living on the property while returned all my mails and avoid all contacts.
Until this moment, on 4/20/2018, no payments are made and they just move out without giving us new contact address.

On 4/18/2018, they texted me saying why are we still filing eviction( cause you owed us 5000 dollars ? Hello? after he said the neighbors saw the eviction notice on door and texted him.
The summon letter for tenants again returned to our address saying on top unclaimed***on 4/18/2018 when I opened our mailbox.

I sent him a text and email saying that you need to properly response to court order. Ask them to come to pick up the summon letter and got ignored again.

My question is regarding the return of unclaimed eviction summon letter, cause it served by shrieff, if they move out without paying 5000 dollars and pretend or refuse on not getting any court letters***. We only have the texts showing evidences they were still inside the property until 4/16/2018. Can I still continue and get a hold of him to court and file lawsuit for past due rent recovery?(we don’t know their new address and they refused to give it to us? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 06:43 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Without knowing what state you’re in, can’t help you.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:03 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokachi004 View Post
Hello everybody,

I need some advise since it is the first time I deal with this kind of problems. I had a tenant owe us around total of 5000 dollars. We filed eviction with damages at clerk of court. We send a lot of letter since 30 days and 3 days before this promised lease date. So I mailed several certified letters 30 days and 3 days pay or vacate ( total of notices ( total of 5 letters) and also go to the property twice to locked on the door trying to serve them the 3 days notices. Tenant pretended not there and refused opening the doors( because I heard loud talking voice inside the property and I go there at night and the lights are on) I knocked three times very loudly on door. But they are not opening the doors so I posted and taped those notices on door.

They refused all contacts: all the mails returned to my addresses but pretend they are not there. But they were still living inside our property.

We waited three days (4/10/2018) after we served them 3 days pay or vacate notice, we filed eviction on 4/11/2018). Clerk of court later on sent out summons letter to us and to the tenants.***

Later on, they send me a text saying that they moved out at 4/15/2018. And promise to pay the rent on 4/16/2018. Which is completely passed the date on three days pay and vacate.

So basically, they were living on the property while returned all my mails and avoid all contacts.
Until this moment, on 4/20/2018, no payments are made and they just move out without giving us new contact address.

On 4/18/2018, they texted me saying why are we still filing eviction( cause you owed us 5000 dollars ? Hello? after he said the neighbors saw the eviction notice on door and texted him.
The summon letter for tenants again returned to our address saying on top unclaimed***on 4/18/2018 when I opened our mailbox.

I sent him a text and email saying that you need to properly response to court order. Ask them to come to pick up the summon letter and got ignored again.

My question is regarding the return of unclaimed eviction summon letter, cause it served by shrieff, if they move out without paying 5000 dollars and pretend or refuse on not getting any court letters***. We only have the texts showing evidences they were still inside the property until 4/16/2018. Can I still continue and get a hold of him to court and file lawsuit for past due rent recovery?(we don’t know their new address and they refused to give it to us? )
Just continue with the eviction, they don't have to show up in court if they don't want to. Make sure the eviction stays on their records so the next landlord won't get screwed. Next time check them out better, they may have already had an eviction on their record. As far as the money they owe, don't worry about it becuase it's gone and they are not going to pay and the court can't force them to pay and it will cost you extra money trying to collect from a deadbeat. Just be happy they are gone, some won't leave and continue to live rent free until after the eviction and have to be kicked out by the sheriff's office.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:37 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
I had a tenant owe us around total of 5000 dollars.
I need some advise since it is the first time I deal with this kind of problems.
Hire an experienced LL oriented Real estate specializing attorney.
Have them honcho the **process** so all is done according to Hoyle.
Watch what they do, learn something and (probably) modify your lease for you.

And yes... I am deliberately ignoring the rest of the soap opera you wrote.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:28 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Can I still continue and get a hold of him to court and file lawsuit for past due rent recovery?(we don’t know their new address and they refused to give it to us? )
You have been a victim of professional renter deadbeats. You don't have the snowball's chance in hell of ever collecting a nickel from them no matter what you do.

I'm a former landlord who has been through just that and, you know what, the satisfaction of keeping a judgment on their record wears thin when you realize that low lifes don't care. They will always find a place to live and do the same thing to other landlords.

Be thankful they are gone, get over it and move one.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:48 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
They have Moved So You need to Move on. NEXT

Old 04-21-2018, 01:19 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
They have Moved So You need to Move on. NEXT
Go back to talking about your three generations of subsidized rent. Don’t ever tell the owner of a property what they should or shouldn’t do.

Better yet. Keep defending abuse of the service dog and ESA statutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting