Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:07 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
Just because it’s running doesn’t mean it’s working. The integrity of the racks being compromised due to corrosion is a big problem. It’s getting rust all over your stuff, and if the rack fails, you could be cleaning up a ton of of glass and broken dishes.

As has been mentioned, a new dishwasher is not expensive.

The LL sounds cheap and is trying their best to get out of fixing the actual problem.

Take good pictures of the dishwasher, and when the rack fails, tell the LL you expect reimbursement for your broken dishes due to their failure to correct the problem.
Yes. My landlord is cheap beyond cheap. I ended up replacing every single set of blinds over the last year or so because he didn’t feel it necessary to do so himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 11:05 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
How would I, as a landlord, handle the sutuation? Unless it is something obvious and easy to repair, (which it often is), I just buy a new dishwasher because that is often cheaper than paying a repairman. Although, note, I do the install myself and don't pay to have it done.

Great big disclosure, here, about my dishwashers. I don't rent low end places. If I had bottom end rentals or section 8 tenants, if the dishwasher works, the tenants could consider themselves lucky to have any dishwasher at all. In rentals you get what you pay for and you aren't going to get anything you aren't paying for.

OP, your landlord is not going to give you a brand new dishwasher. That leaves you with several options. You can buy replacement racks. You can coat the racks you have. If you plan to stay long term, you can buy your own new dishwasher; the ones without fancy digital features are cheap. You can just continue to use the dishwasher like it is. You can hand wash your dishes instead of using the dishwasher. You can give notice and move to a better maintained, and probably more expensive, rental.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
How would I, as a landlord, handle the sutuation? Unless it is something obvious and easy to repair, (which it often is), I just buy a new dishwasher because that is often cheaper than paying a repairman. Although, note, I do the install myself and don't pay to have it done.

Great big disclosure, here, about my dishwashers. I don't rent low end places. If I had bottom end rentals or section 8 tenants, if the dishwasher works, the tenants could consider themselves lucky to have any dishwasher at all. In rentals you get what you pay for and you aren't going to get anything you aren't paying for.

OP, your landlord is not going to give you a brand new dishwasher. That leaves you with several options. You can buy replacement racks. You can coat the racks you have. If you plan to stay long term, you can buy your own new dishwasher; the ones without fancy digital features are cheap. You can just continue to use the dishwasher like it is. You can hand wash your dishes instead of using the dishwasher. You can give notice and move to a better maintained, and probably more expensive, rental.
I’ll just continue doing what I have been doing, which is coating the racks. I’m not expecting my LL to replace the dishwasher, I would however, expect him to replace the racks.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:22 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yes. My landlord is cheap beyond cheap. I ended up replacing every single set of blinds over the last year or so because he didn’t feel it necessary to do so himself.
I would keep the old ones and take the new ones with me when I leave even if I have no use for them.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:02 PM

453 posts, read 409,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I’ll just continue doing what I have been doing, which is coating the racks. I’m not expecting my LL to replace the dishwasher, I would however, expect him to replace the racks.
You should not be responsible for any out of pocket expenses. Period.

It’s not your dishwasher, the LL has to fix it. If you start doing stuff to it, and it breaks, the LL could turn around and say what you did is a reason it broke. I wouldn’t even touch it honestly.

And LOL at buying a new one yourself. That is ridiculous. A tenant is not responsible for repairs or the Landlords crappy stuff

Old 04-24-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I would keep the old ones and take the new ones with me when I leave even if I have no use for them.
At first I was saving them, but I ran out of space. Besides, I may be in this house for another couple years, and I didn’t have the storage space for them.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
You should not be responsible for any out of pocket expenses. Period.

It’s not your dishwasher, the LL has to fix it. If you start doing stuff to it, and it breaks, the LL could turn around and say what you did is a reason it broke. I wouldn’t even touch it honestly.

And LOL at buying a new one yourself. That is ridiculous. A tenant is not responsible for repairs or the Landlords crappy stuff
I get what you are saying. But buying a $5 bottle of sealant so I can continue to safely use my dishwasher is a better option than ultimately resigning myself to hand washing my dishes. Adding sealant to areas on the rack won’t cause it to break anymore than it already has. And as for buying a new dishwasher? Now that’s out of the question.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:49 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Wow, thanks for letting us in on that great big disclosure.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:38 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Oftentimes, replacing the racks is nearly as expensive as just buying a new low-end dishwasher.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:27 PM

453 posts, read 409,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Wow, thanks for letting us in on that great big disclosure.
You’re not kidding.

I’d like to hear that argued in court. “ Your honor my rental did have a dishwasher that I refused to fix or replace when it broke, but my tenants rent is cheap so they should consider themselves lucky they even had one to begin with”

Bottom line, if the rental has something at time of a tenant moving in, the expectation is they will have that for the life of the lease. You can’t just decide you’re not fixing appliances you put in the rental to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting