Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your property manager show your apartment before you leave
Yes 12 46.15%
No 14 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM

188 posts, read 546,972 times

Advertisements

How many of you renters who are not renewing your lease, have property managers that show your apartment before you leave?

My manager does this, and I don't like it. Its an invasion of my privacy, and I don't like the idea of strangers looking at all my life's belongings. perhaps, said stranger will see my TV and come back for a robbery?

I don't think this practice is fair to the tenant due to privacy concerns, but I also don't think its fair to potential tenants as they can't see the apartment when it is covered with other peoples crap.

When I was looking for my present apartment, I looked at one place that had every single surface covered with toys, garbage, clothes, and dirty dishes.

My previous town did not do this. However, ALL the managers in my present town does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,732,857 times
If you do not like it, then don't sign a lease stating that the owner can do this. As a property owner, I really must start showing a place before it's empty, because I do not want it to sit unrented for a long time between tenants. As a renter, you just have to realize that it is one of the prices you pay for renting instead of owning.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed
don't sign a lease stating that the owner can do this.
All property managers in my town do this, so there is no choice when it comes to signing a lease.

And yes, I realize they, and you, are only worried about their/your own pocket book and increased turnaround. But my previous town did not do this at all. It seems they either had more respect for there tenants, or there was a local law prohibiting the policy. Probably the latter?

I realize this goes with the territory. So be it. I don't like it!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 AM

For clarity, I do not wish to argue about the good and the bad of the policy. I would, however, like to get a feel of whether or not this is a common practice amongst property owners nation wide via the poll above.

As I said, my previous renting experience suggests that this practice was unacceptable. But if the poll suggests it is common, then I will most likely not renting when I move (which will be soon).

Old 03-27-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
All property managers in my town do this, so there is no choice when it comes to signing a lease.

And yes, I realize they, and you, are only worried about their/your own pocket book and increased turnaround. But my previous town did not do this at all. It seems they either had more respect for there tenants, or there was a local law prohibiting the policy. Probably the latter?

I realize this goes with the territory. So be it. I don't like it!
I think it's unfair of you to say that all of us are only concerned with our pocket books. Try it on our side of things for awhile before you start making accusations. I work my butt off keeping my places nice for my tenants, but when it comes down to it, they are MY properties and I do have the right to do necessary things. If you're moving out I can and I will show the property. It has nothing to do with not respecting the tenant.

For what it's worth, if you're upset at property MANAGERS, then don't rent from anyplace that utilizes them. Find a private owner and see if they'll waive the rights that you find so distasteful. Property management companies generally have across-the-board policies about these type of things and will not change them. You'd have a lot more luck trying to sweet-talk a private owner into a lease with special criteria.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 AM

3,080 posts, read 11,032,982 times
Never happened to me.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 AM

3,672 posts, read 10,569,035 times
Don't you have the right to be present whenever they bring someone over? I rented many years ago in Texas and the mgmt office was only permitted to enter the apt if I signed a request for unsupervised maintenance for each work order. Otherwise they would only work if I was present.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Don't you have the right to be present whenever they bring someone over? I rented many years ago in Texas and the mgmt office was only permitted to enter the apt if I signed a request for unsupervised maintenance for each work order. Otherwise they would only work if I was present.
...and typically they are required to give a set amount of notice too, they can't just call you and come over an hour later.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed
I think it's unfair of you to say that all of us are only concerned with our pocket books.
OK. But you have not convinced me of some other reason why you practice this policy?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
OK. But you have not convinced me of some other reason why you practice this policy?
Because the more time I have to show a property, the more prospective tenants I can select from, and the greater the chance that I will find a GOOD one in the bunch. One that won't trash my place, and who will pay their rent on time is a lot less hassle than someone who is going to cause thousands of dollars of damage, pay late, and skip out on the last couple months of rent.

If I know a tenant is moving, it's just plain stupid to sit around and wait for the place to be vacated before taking care of business and lining up the next tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting