Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 834 times

Advertisements

My family lives next door to nuisance property in central Illinois. Drugs, noise, partys and general antisocial behavior is what we are facing and its about time we start calling the police. I am considering calling into anonymous crime tip line and then follow up with calls to non-emergency for all incidents.

However I am a single mother with 3 children and my elderly mother living with me.... we are all afraid of retaliation.

I was wondering if police calls for noise etc are truly anonymous? We fear even if its anonymous, there are only 3 neighbors in vicinity and its kind of obvious who would call.

I was hoping to read some of your opinions on the subject, including your own experiences with calling the cops and even some tips on how I can do this without retaliation and in total anonymity.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 02:53 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,679,015 times
Well sure they will keep it anonymous but they surely don't have any control over whether the offenders might somehow end up knowing it is you that complained if it is totally obvious that it would only be you.

I am curious as to why you think it would be obvious that it is you though when there are 3 other neighbors who might make a call to PD?

Also, do you rent or own and do they rent or own? If they rent then find out who their LL is and contact them as well as calling the PD. That might help if the LL is responsive but if not, then continue to contact the PD until the offenders get ticketed for something and that gives the LL something concrete to go by to evict.

Also, sometimes more gets accomplished in numbers if you find you are not getting much resolution yourself. Can you or do you speak with those other 3 neighbors at all or could you strike up a conversation with them to see if they are having problems with the offending residence? If they are then have them make sure to complain or call everytime there is a problem also.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 834 times
In answer to your question, it would probably be obvious only because I am closest to the nuisance property than the other neighbors.

I also should have clarified, since this is the renting forum, that the nuisance property is a rental. The LL however is long distance and may or may not care. However, in hopes of being anonymous in this, if were to complain to him and in turn the LL complains to tenants, then surely I am singled out immediately. So I suppose, if the LL is contacted, it would have to be anonymous as well.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi22 View Post
In answer to your question, it would probably be obvious only because I am closest to the nuisance property than the other neighbors.

I also should have clarified, since this is the renting forum, that the nuisance property is a rental. The LL however is long distance and may or may not care. However, in hopes of being anonymous in this, if were to complain to him and in turn the LL complains to tenants, then surely I am singled out immediately.
You can ask that LL to keep it anonymous as well. And you have not a clue whether the LL cares or not because you have never tried contacting him or spoke with him. It doesn't make one bit of difference whether their LL lives a mile away or 3 states away. He is the LL and his tenants are disrupting other people's lives and doing illegal things. If someone doesn't tell him how would he ever know what is going on if he lives that far away? Perhaps he has someone local who manages that property in his absence but either way he is just a phone call or letter away to respond.

If you are going to be this worried about the tenants finding out that it is you then there really is nothing that can be done. PD, etc are very good at keeping things anonymous however, as I said, if you are the only option to complain then there is nothing you can do but you are not so I would just quit worrying about that and start calling the PD whenever there are problems. And again, strike up a conversation with the other neighbors and see if they are noticing anything or having problems and get them to complain as well.

And yes, I am telling you all of this from first hand experience with almost the exact same things. But, I am done worrying about retaliation. The biggest worry you should have is that the PD does not respond or react like you would think or want them to. THAT is the problem I am dealing with which is more frustrating than anything! So I have been having to find a lot of work-a-rounds and getting more savvy and creative to get anything done.

I suggest that you also start really documenting everything such as dates, times, get photos, get license plate numbers, what exactly you are witnessing, etc, etc because the more detail you have to provide the PD, the LL, etc, the better.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:06 PM

784 posts, read 724,037 times
Is will not be anonymous. It may be somewhat hard to get your information, but not totally blocked. You address will be known almost for sure.

Call the cops anyway, or live with it.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
Is will not be anonymous. It may be somewhat hard to get your information, but not totally blocked. You address will be known almost for sure.

Call the cops anyway, or live with it.
Anonymous, meaning that the PD will not reveal to offenders who complained. It does not mean you are calling on a complaint to the PD anonymously as you presume. You give all of your info to the police and then you tell them that you want to remain anonymous and not have the offenders find out any of your information from the PD by revealing who complained. And yes, the PD will understand and honor that. Any other means that the offenders might find out is not within the PD's control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting