Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,413,797 times

Advertisements

For those that live in apartments, what is your sq. footage space? And do you think it is roomy enough?

The reason I am asking, we will be moving to an apartment that is 1,175 sq feet and trying to get an idea if that is too small or an ok amount. It is 2 bedroom with the master being 12' x 15' and the spare being 12'x12'6", living room is 22'x17'

Thanks

If you have any photos of your place, would you mind posting them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,167,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
For those that live in apartments, what is your sq. footage space? And do you think it is roomy enough?

The reason I am asking, we will be moving to an apartment that is 1,175 sq feet and trying to get an idea if that is too small or an ok amount. It is 2 bedroom with the master being 12' x 15' and the spare being 12'x12'6", living room is 22'x17'

Thanks

If you have any photos of your place, would you mind posting them?
So, you never rented.......or lived in a home before? What was the sq footage of the last place that you lived in? Figure that out and use that as a guide.

By the way,

a 22' x 17' living room may be considered fairly large for an apartment. The MB is good sized for sleeping quarters, as long as you do not have a California King.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:33 AM

yeah- I own a home now that is over 3500sq foot. That doesn't necessarily mean that I can picture 1175sq feet in my head

And present home we rent, we do not even know the sq footage for it

Old 03-29-2008, 10:10 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,167,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
yeah- I own a home now that is over 3500sq foot. That doesn't necessarily mean that I can picture 1175sq feet in my head
It would be about the size of 1/3 your place now.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:41 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,491,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
It would be about the size of 1/3 your place now.
Yeah, but does that mean 2/3rds from every room? Well, some rooms become unlivable. Does it mean that you lose a lot of random square footage? Cutting off 2/3rds, doesn't really give anything useful.

22' x 17' is a fairly large living room. I don't remember my square footage, but I had a queen sized mattress and a 4' deep computer desk, with enough space to walk behind my chair... and plenty of room at the foot of my bed.

Currently I'm in a 10'7" x 15'9" Dorm room. I can tell you that as an all in one room, its a little small. But, it'd be a large bedroom by itself.

Edit: Square footage can be a bad measure for a number of reasons. For instance, my dorm room is that size, but the closets are out from the walls, not in... so, that space includes the space they take up. Also, for an apartment, you may have a long hallway, or a corner landing, or various other semi or unusable areas that are added to the sq. ft total, but don't give you adequare space.

Check bedrooms, I've found anything less than say 10x10 in a bedroom feels really small (though, recessed closet space definitely can help)

Old 03-29-2008, 12:02 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,085,150 times
I live in a 375 sq ft studio apartment and I have room to spare. People constantly tell me how roomy and very comfortable it is.

It depends on how much "stuff" you have that you're addicted to.

I would get lost in 1,175 sq ft. Two bedroom apartments around here aren't nearly that big. It's a large apartment.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:24 PM

Thanks everyone

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about the bedroom since we have a king sized bed.. we don't have a dresser yet since at our present place there really is only room for the bed about 1 foot of walking space on 3 sides of it so we have just been using closets

Here is the floor plan of my place

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q120/liredhead/apartment.jpg (broken link)

Wow simple living.. Is it a place where you can shower and cook your dinner at the same time? lol

And thanks Radek- I didn't take this into consideration "For instance, my dorm room is that size, but the closets are out from the walls, not in... so, that space includes the space they take up"

Old 03-29-2008, 12:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,185,727 times
Depends on your furnishings/and layout

I always think of it in couch lengths. Couches are about 6-7 feet long

The bedrooms sounds like a good size for a double/queen and a dresser with walking room.

The living room sounds perfect to have a lot of room to walk and have a couch/chair/tv set up.

You just may have to get creative in how you set it up and think of flow. But some houses can be laid out poorly and a well laid out apartment can "feel" roomier.

Make a list of your furn. and measure it.
Pick up some graph paper and a ruler.
Cut out little cubes the size of your furni scale
draw your new place to scale on the paper
Then you can move your little paper cubes around to see how you can play with the layout and save yourself a lot of back breaking work

I always do this when I am waiting to move before I set up my place.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,185,727 times
king will totally fit in there

Old 03-29-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Depends on your furnishings/and layout

I always think of it in couch lengths. Couches are about 6-7 feet long

The bedrooms sounds like a good size for a double/queen and a dresser with walking room.

The living room sounds perfect to have a lot of room to walk and have a couch/chair/tv set up.

You just may have to get creative in how you set it up and think of flow. But some houses can be laid out poorly and a well laid out apartment can "feel" roomier.

Make a list of your furn. and measure it.
Pick up some graph paper and a ruler.
Cut out little cubes the size of your furni scale
draw your new place to scale on the paper
Then you can move your little paper cubes around to see how you can play with the layout and save yourself a lot of back breaking work

I always do this when I am waiting to move before I set up my place.

oohh great idea. Except for doing it on graph paper I will try it in photoshop. Now I just have to figure out conversions.. I was never really good at math. Thankfully since we move a lot we don't ever keep a lot of furniture on hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting