Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 08:27 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
One of our tenants has had incessant issues with his stove. It has been fixed at least once and replaced at least twice (once with a used one from another unit that had no issues before going to him, most recently with a brand new one).

There have been one or two times where it at least appeared like normal wear and tear.

I just got another complaint about his stove not working. I haven't seen it this time yet, but I'm not sure how to handle this when it certainly appears to be a problem unique to him, but we can't prove it's due to his actions (how do you even break a stove this often?).

In the past it's been that it doesn't work properly, one burner doesn't work, then no burners work, and when we go in the stove isn't clean.

It is a typical electric range/oven combo, the cheapest one from Lowe's usually (which should still last MANY years).

Now he's complaining and talking about an attorney (rent is going up according to his lease, but maintenance is dropping). We take care of things as needed, but this guy has more than his share of complaints. We don't have a maintenance guy right now, but we are taking care of critical issues as they arise (as in an AC gets fixed that day, a loose drawer handle will have to wait).
He sounds like trouble, do not renew his lease and get him out as soon as you can.

I don't know the laws but if you don't need to give him a reason don't even discuss it with him, just give him the proper 30 days notice and tell him to leave. He's obviously sabotaging the stove, the only other thing I would consider is that the electric line is bad. Maybe he runs it all day or pulls out the coils to clean them and if you do that too much or replace them damp it could ruin the stove.

When someone says the word attorney over something like this it's a clear signal that they are a trouble maker. In the meantime I would buy him a double hot plate, and an invention cook top to use while in the unit making him aware that the invention one requires special cookware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 08:35 AM

Boy dies after being electrocuted by stove outlet in Fort Myers home

Boy dies after being electrocuted by stove outlet in Fort Myers home
An 8-year-old boy died early Thursday morning after being shocked by an outlet, according to the Fort Myers Police Department.

Caleb Zedaker, of Fort Myers, was found unresponsive and not breathing around 4:25 p.m. at a home on the 2300 block of Lane Avenue, police said. Caleb touched a 220-volt outlet behind a stove.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
What kind of electrical issue?

They are month to month. We plan on getting rid of all of these tenants (we have five units of these guys that are manual labor for a local factory, we actually rent to the factory and the factory sub-leases because none of these guys have any credit and have inadequate income, the factory deducts from their wages). We were hoping to keep them in longer to keep the rent until we were ready to remodel their units. But you may be right, it may be best to just cut them loose. I was already going to say that today when I talk to their office lady (there is a major language barrier with the actual tenants/workers).
Someone probably told him if he complains about things he won't have to pay his rent. Get him out ASAP. Don't give him or anyone or the factory or a lawyer a reason. Tell him the reason is because the lease says you have the right to end tenancy with 30 days notice. Once you do this and he has nowhere to go because of inadequate income and no credit the other ones will fall in line and be model tenants and never complain again and eat their food cold.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 06-25-2018 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-25-2018, 08:54 AM

Also make sure there are working smoke detectors in the kitchen and in each bedroom. Go buy some with the 10 year battery built in and put them in if you have to.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:02 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know where you are, but appliances are a pretty standard item for rentals. I've lived in very populated areas and very rural, and both always included a refrigerator and stove. That's why most people rent, because they won't want to hassle with all the constant maintenance and repairs of everything. So I can't imagine making it standard that the basic appliances aren't included. I know I would turn around and walk out laughing if someone tried to tell me that.

I guess if it was all single family homes, that would be different. But definitely not acceptable in apartments anywhere I've ever been.

San Francisco Bay Area... started managing residential in 1982. 1995 is when I opted out of free standing appliances and never looked back.

I still have legacy tenants where I furnish all appliances... this will change when/if they move.

About half single family and the rest units...

During the Real Estate melt down many of my New Tenants had very high end appliances they brought with them from houses that were foreclosed... wolf ranges, subzero, etc...

Your competition will determine amenities...

Many of my manger friends thought I was making a mistake in 1995 and now all of them have followed...

Old 06-25-2018, 10:02 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know where you are, but appliances are a pretty standard item for rentals. I've lived in very populated areas and very rural, and both always included a refrigerator and stove. That's why most people rent, because they won't want to hassle with all the constant maintenance and repairs of everything. So I can't imagine making it standard that the basic appliances aren't included. I know I would turn around and walk out laughing if someone tried to tell me that.

I guess if it was all single family homes, that would be different. But definitely not acceptable in apartments anywhere I've ever been.
For apartments, definitely. The expectation is that you'll have all appliances.

SFH, it's definitely the expectation that there's a stove/oven and dishwasher (where applicable) in my market. The fridge is a 50/50 type of thing, and I've had a few tenants that just sell the fridge to the next tenant.

On another note, did you get a chance to have the electrical circuit checked out on this unit?

Old 06-25-2018, 11:16 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
I had modest rental houses. Not in the high rent district. Didn't take me long to learn not to include refrigerators, washers and dryers. Prospects were quite willing to buy or rent their own.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:39 AM

I can't imagine ever renting an apartment or house without a fridge or stove, and the 20 years I did rent, in one place over 13 years I never had a stove or fridge break, and most were older.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:56 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Not supplying any appliances is definitely an exception and not even close to the rule around here as well in WI. Even in most single family rentals.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:08 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Also make sure there are working smoke detectors in the kitchen and in each bedroom. Go buy some with the 10 year battery built in and put them in if you have to.
Shouldn't have smoke detectors in a kitchen, or living room if it is one big space. Basic cooking sets them off so they aren't code requirements in those spaces, bedrooms and hallways get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting