Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:56 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,654,185 times

Advertisements

I would negotiate with the landlord a prorated cost of replacing the carpet. Basically what austin-green said. How long has the carpet been there? How long have you been there? Carpets last about 5 years, so, at the very least, you're only responsible for 4/5 the cost of replacement (less the year you've lived in the apartment). If you've lived there longer, or the carpet wasn't brand new when you got there, then you should pay for proportionately only the "life remaining" on the carpets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 12:06 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,488,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post
Professionally cleaning the carpet does not remove dog urine, you can clean and clean, but it will still be there. A professional cleaner once told me that dog's urine is like glue, you will never remove it, the only recourse is to replace the carpet.
Nature's Miracle. Completey removed the stains, odor, etc from our carpet from our aging dog.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:11 PM

22 posts, read 81,647 times
the carpet is 4 years old. the problem isn't paying for it when we move out, the problem is having to do it NOW in the middle of school/work.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:21 PM

294 posts, read 1,083,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Nature's Miracle. Completey removed the stains, odor, etc from our carpet from our aging dog.
You'll find if you go over the stained are that you cleaned with an ultra violet light (can be obtained from an pet store) you will see its still there.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
You'll find if you go over the stained are that you cleaned with an ultra violet light (can be obtained from an pet store) you will see its still there.
No longer own the property, but if its not visible and the smell is entirely removed... to me, thats removed.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:58 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,391,831 times
Default I pull back the carpet to reveal stains...

Quote:
If you really want to see if a carpet is stained... just pull it back and look at the backing... it is incredible the amount of detail and odor...

I managed some higher end homes in the Oakland Hills that were brand new. The owner insisted on a NO PETS clause and somewhere along the line the Resident became the owner of a Labrador Puppy.

The move out didn't go to well. The major problem was the carpeted areas of the 3000 square foot home smelled like Dog Urine. She insisted that the puppy was confined to the Laundry Room when she was at work and that it was impossible that the carpet could have been damaged.

The owner, myself, the former resident and her Lawyer Nephew all met at the property to discuss why the entire deposit was being withheld... She had only been in the home about 18 months...

As things started to get out of hand between the owner and former tenant... I went to the Living Room and pulled up a corner of the carpet and at least 70% of the backing was stained with urine... I did the same thing in the other rooms.

The nephew lawyer told his Aunt to forget about her deposit... mind you the carpet looked beautiful... it was premium 50 ounce material...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-30-2008 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-30-2008, 05:03 PM

Yeah, the backing definitely shows it. But, its one thing to have the place smell of urine, and another for the backing to have traces of a stain.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:04 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,167,545 times
Ditto on natures miracle. It got cat out of my parents carpet. It took a few cleanings but nothing else worked like that. The problem is that it gets in the padding and the smell comes back. So you have to have a really good steam cleaner to go along with it.
I say nature's and then agree to replace it when you leave. Otherwise its a waste. But it is your legal obligation to keep your unit free of pet excessive pet damage and clean to be shown to other renters. Its probably why he is saying 3 months ahead of time.
You also want to steam clean your furni and use arm and hammer pet fresh. Get the dog bathed once a month too.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:57 AM

221 posts, read 598,679 times
Default Bizarre!

I just can't believe a pet owner would have a domestic animal, in this case a dog, and have to keep it imprisoned in an apartment in a crate or kennel. What were you thinking? WHY would you have a dog in an apartment and make it stay locked up. That is cruel, just plain cruel. Dogs need space to run and play. I hope you either move to a new place where the dog doesn't have to be locked up in a crate all the time and where the dog has room to run and play outdoors. Pet owners like you just floor me. What do you do? Just take it out to play with it once a day? Animal cruelty if you ask me. I feel so so so sorry for animals.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:01 AM

221 posts, read 598,679 times
Default Defeating the purpose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaia View Post
the carpet is 4 years old. the problem isn't paying for it when we move out, the problem is having to do it NOW in the middle of school/work.
This is ALSO stupid. Why would you replace the carpet when the animal is STILL in the house? It will just happen again. Replace the carpet after you move out....PLEASE....just replace the carpet, give the dog to someone who can provide it a home where it does not have to be locked up all the time and go about your business for gosh sakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting