Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 03:17 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyng804 View Post
Just to clarify, the apartment is in Daly City which is part of San Mateo county. I am willing to leave everything behind, and pay whatever bill the apartment send me for trash(furniture) removal, and clean up of the apartment. The relationship has been so emotionally draining, and with the high month-to-month rent, I rather just call it a loss and start from new.

So since the lease is up, and I've given the leasing office my 30-day notice to vacate, I should technically be able to walk away, right? Can she then be treated as a squatter after I have left?

If this course of action doesn't work, then what can I do to get out and leave? I want to start over by myself in Portland, OR.
Plenty of companies will come collect the stuff for you, for free. Leaving furniture behind is never a smart idea because disposal of large items for a landlord who needs it gone right away and you are going to pay for it is always more expensive. If you are willing to throw $5k away on disposal why not just pay her $5k to get out.

You have put yourself in a bad position, don't make it worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 1,780 times
I have given a 30 day notice of my intent to vacate last week to the landlord. Now it seems like I just have to find a way to get her out.

My problem is to get her to leave. I'm currently out at sea and won't be back for another 2 weeks. I've been emailing her 3 times a week asking her nicely to move out. I've reached out to her mother, and her mother tells me that she's my problem now.

I've asked my friends on how I can get her out and they've given me a few unsavory ideas (being the boyfriend from hell, let her relapse, etc.), which I don't want to resort to.

She won't take the $5000 and leave. I've offered. Any other ideas?

It seems that I'm being held hostage to the apartment because she won't leave.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
I am not an expert, but I suppose that you have the two weeks after you return from sea to sell the appliances and have them removed. Sell or take out your bed, couch, TV and all of the other furniture. Remove everything from the apartment except for your ex-GF & her clothes & personal items.

Frankly, once the stove, refrigerator, TV, bed, couch, etc. are all gone and it is just an empty, bare apartment with her sleeping on the floor, she may be persuaded to move out at the end of the month, unless she passes the credit check and signs a new lease for $3,000 a month with the landlord .

But, if she is a jerk and refuses to leave, I believe, that you are still responsible for the $3,000 a month until the apartment to empty (of the GF). Even worse, she could trash the place after you leave and you would still be responsible for all of the damage that she does (since the lease is in your name).

Old 06-28-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am not an expert, but I suppose that you have the two weeks after you return from sea to sell the appliances and have them removed. Sell or take out your bed, couch, TV and all of the other furniture. Remove everything from the apartment except for your ex-GF & her clothes & personal items.

Frankly, once the stove, refrigerator, TV, bed, couch, etc. are all gone and it is just an empty, bare apartment with her sleeping on the floor, she may be persuaded to move out at the end of the month, unless she passes the credit check and signs a new lease for $3,000 a month with the landlord .

But, if she is a jerk and refuses to leave, I believe, that you are still responsible for the $3,000 a month until the apartment to empty (of the GF). Even worse, she could trash the place after you leave and you would still be responsible for all of the damage that she does (since the lease is in your name).
Bad idea, that is an illegal eviction. Legally the GF is your tenant, give her notice as required by CA law and eviction for holdover. Look at the recent case where the parents had to evict their son for what you need to do here. I told you this in post number 2, what more info do you need here?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:33 PM

What I would do is two things in one non-renewal notice. The most important is the non-renewal itself. Second is to include a ridiculously high rent if she decides to hold over. When you evict you can claim the unpaid rent and get a judgment against her for that amount. Then give it to a debt collector to worry about, they will take 40-50% of whatever they are able to collect.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:45 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyng804 View Post
She won't take the $5000 and leave. I've offered. Any other ideas?
This is NOT a real estate problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting