Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 06:22 PM

497 posts, read 422,112 times

Advertisements

We are feeling a bit frustrated with the frequency of unit inspections with the new LL. We love our Superintendent and trust him to come to our home. He's expressed his anger of his new employer. They expect him to do more with small budget and I think some other tenants is making his job more difficult.

For example, it was very recently that I found out from our neighbour that they complain a lot of other neighbours with their private life activities, something we would never do as we realize that is part of the game in rentals. If your neighbours are not having real bad behaviour, we let them be as they also have their life to live in their home.
I also noticed that some tenants are spitting huge gobs of yuck in the hallways. LL got new washing machines in the laundry room (the very first day) tenants with dogs decided to wash pet clothing, blankets that the machine was clogged with fur and you can't wash your clothes in it. Now, all those machines don't wash properly, plus these new washing machines take on smaller loads compared to the older one and the cost for a wash went up.

There was an inspections for bugs, which is not a bad thing, but after they've addressed cockroaches on some units, we now have the cockroach problem as they decided to move into our home. Frustrating! This problem was addressed but we see an odd one once in awhile. Other tenants do not throw their garbage down the shoot, they just leave it on the floor for someone else to do it for them. This attracts bugs.

Another inspection was done and we found out from a neighbour that tenants complained and LL is checking for washing machines, dishwasher and AC in the unit. If you have an AC you are charged extra for each month. I think for the other machines, the pipes can't handle large water going down and they are not allowed.

We had a few more inspections, due to neighbour complaining of water leakage. Every time we say we don't have a problem but there was a few visits for that and found out later that the problem was from the unit below. That tenant are loud, lots of fights with sex accusations and foul language.

Now, another inspection day. LL want to inspect for conducting a series of inspections for real estate appraisals purposes. Can anyone tell me what the LL require to do this for? To sell the property? Insurance?
This notice said that it is 24 hour notice and it is more of 10 hour notice, but anyway, we won't complain. We did notice that 24 hours ago, our Superintendent water the grass for 12 hours so that the grass would be green.

In the past, at other rental units, we've had bad luck with LL. They bully a lot, walk-in without notice, no knocking, just use their key, walk in, and you don't have your clothes on. They would also have several water shut downs within a month for every month all year long among other things they would do.

We were so happy to find this place and we love our Superintendent. We are not close friends, but we like him. I sure hope he likes us. We don't bother him.
Also, we are hardly at home and when we are at home, you wouldn't have known it.

Maybe our past experiences with LL has been so bad. We always had bad luck that every time we moved to a new place, there is new LL and then bullying would start so they can get new tenants to jack up the rental fee. I am afraid this LL is going to do the same.
Are we right to feel concerned?

Do you have any advice?

As we type this, we had another thought.....what if the LL want to fire our Superintendent? To us, this would be very devastating because we like him and he doesn't bully us. Since some tenants can be very bad, spitting in hallways, breaking new washing machines to create a problem for our Superintendent, what can we do to help him? I don't understand why tenants complain, because it is a lot worse with other LL. We would know as we've experienced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 04:11 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
OP - if your neighbors did what they are supposed to do (follow the rules), your LL wouldn’t have to conduct so many inspections. You don’t have a LL problem, you have a neighbor problem.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 AM

486 posts, read 415,501 times
I don't think there is much you can do. If there are trashy tenants (not you), and new management wants to handle things a certain way, your only real options are to get over it or find a new place to live.

They shouldn't be entering units without notice and without even knocking. That's definitely a problem that should be addressed. We knock hard, unlock, yell our company name so they know who we are, go in, then yell again if we have to go up stairs or anything like that. We never just walk in on someone.

Hopefully, these inspections are the efforts of new management to try to fix all the problems that were there all along (trashy tenants). Once tenants either get in line, or leave, things will calm down and be better.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 PM

892 posts, read 483,698 times
it's a bit disconcerting to realize that office hours and out-of-office hours don't guarantee relevant situations--the above examples look familiar. "this is my building, i can do what i want, whenever". and the screens for monitoring the premises somehow seem to go beyond 'just the premises'--pics that resemble snapshots of inside tenant's units, not just the lobby, etc.
that *may* be because they want basic pics of the interiors for maintenance purposes...who knows?

Old 07-05-2018, 09:46 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times
OP are you in NYC by chance?

Old 07-06-2018, 11:59 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Your super, whom you like so much, has apparently allowed the tenants to get completely out of control. Landlord is trying to fix the building.

You've got awful neighbors. But all I am seeing your landlord doing is trying to fix the plumbing so it works. It's certainly not the fault of the landlord that he provided brand new laundry machines and your tenant neighbors immediately broke them.

Don't be surprised to see some of the trashy neighbors receiving notices to vacate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting