Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:37 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times

Advertisements

The thing I wonder about having noisy dogs in small apartments is that they must wake up the owners when they bark too.

So ... why would you want to own a dog when you're planning to live in a place that's like 550 square feet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 07:59 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You stated that you LL asked you to start calling the police and reporting the noise. I believe they are asking you to do this because it likely is their policy that if there are police complaints, then they can take action.
I don't know if this is common, but many landlords in my daughter's college town had a written policy in their lease that if the police were called three times on an apartment, due to noise complaints, they would be immediately evicted. Does your complex have a similar rule?

Old 07-10-2018, 11:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You stated that you LL asked you to start calling the police and reporting the noise. I believe they are asking you to do this because it likely is their policy that if there are police complaints, then they can take action.
Exactly what I was going to say. I used to be an apartment manager, and if I didn't want my good tenants to move out, I would want to know about things they should be complaining to me about. I didn't want them to not tell me about a problem I could fix - and just move out instead.

But, what I would need was documentation, so there wouldn't be any question of why I was either going to kick them out or not renew their lease, for instance. I just had month to month agreements, but I still didn't want to deal with any potential legal claims about discrimination or whatever. So, I'd need documentation, and then I'd give them warnings, etc. If I didn't know the barking continued, for example, I couldn't follow up.

I had a couple that had screaming fights and finally, the tenants started to tell me about it. I suggested they call the cops, or at least call me as soon as it started, so i could hear it myself (I lived in the building) and I'd call the cops myself.

It's a lot easier to kick someone out if you give them a warning, then there are police reports that you can then use to tell them they will be kicked out if there is one more complaint, etc.

So, I'd assume your landlord also wants them gone. So, give them what they need and stay polite, so they want you to stay. Assuming, of course, the landlord is actually trying to do something about it and not just a lazy landlord. At least give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Also, one of the purposes for calling the cops in the middle of the night, is so that it also inconveniences the noisy tenant and makes them do something about the problem. They can't just pretend it's not bothering anyone, or that nobody is complaining.

And, get a large fan for white noise. It really helps. I'm a tenant now, and I use my fan for white noise every night so I can sleep peacefully. The kind I get, also work great to recirculate cool air from the floor, to keep your apartment cooler without using a/c. This is what I have. They last for many years, and don't rattle and have a low hum sound, that's not annoying.

https://www.amazon.com/Patton-PUF181...004WT6ZEK?th=1

Old 07-11-2018, 05:20 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I don't know if this is common, but many landlords in my daughter's college town had a written policy in their lease that if the police were called three times on an apartment, due to noise complaints, they would be immediately evicted. Does your complex have a similar rule?
I know I lived in one apartment where the issue was that the dog would bark and all the other dogs in the complex would start barking too. Apparently people would walk by (including the complex manager) and hear it. I know I ended up getting released from the lease early because the noise issues (this tenant also played his music insanely loudly at all hours, opening his window to accompanying himself running throughout the complex, etc), and others ended up not renewing because of the combination of the noise/constant dog barking. He’d leave the dog crated overnight to go stay with his girlfriend and the dog would bark the entire night. I felt absolutely horrible for the dog.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:25 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
What gets me is the dog owners who, when you complain that their dogs are barking, say, "That's what dogs do." Give me a break.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:52 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Get an ultrasonic anti bark device like bark silencer max. It stops it. Emits a sound you cant hear but dogs hate when it barks. Under 100.00

Old 07-11-2018, 01:06 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,918 times
I'm sorry to hear that. I have two dogs and I would be angry and fed up too! There is just NO excuse for not training your dog to keep quiet and not bark when you live in multi-family housing. One of my neighbors recently got told they had to get rid of their dog. Not only was it a pit bull, which is restricted (they brought home the puppy after moving in), it barked, whined, and howled non-stop every minute of the day and night that it was left alone. This went on for hours every day, for weeks and weeks. You could hear it on the floor above and below, all the way down the hall, and out in the courtyard! I am so glad that damn mutant thing is gone - many of us, and several that are dog owners ourselves complained several times. It was unbearable. I have two dogs and you would never know, sharing walls with me, that I have dogs. With one exception across the hall, all the dog owners on my floor have taught their dogs to be quiet in the apartment. These people with constantly barking dogs are just inconsiderate, crappy dog owners. I would read the tenant law and see if you can get out of the lease based on the "quiet enjoyment/peaceful enjoyment" clause. If you can't, I would find a way to disrupt her peace just as much, maybe put a speaker up flush with the wall and blast some horrid techno music or something. It's jacka$$es like that who make it hard for the rest of us responsible owners to find pet friendly rental housing.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I'm blessed with a dog that is not a yapper. She'll bark if someone knocks on the door, but otherwise, she is quiet, even when left alone.

I knew someone who got a puppy that would bark when she was gone, and she got one of the citronella collars to train the puppy not to bark and it worked wonders.

Of course, that doesn't mean the OP's neighbor cares to actually do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting