Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind the OP lives in Canada, so the laws could be different up there than we are used to in the US.

That being said, in my opinion, the Super bent over backward to comply with your requests. At YOUR insistence, they got someone out on a weekend, next day, holiday week, which is practically impossible and probably cost them double, and you are complaining that they went earlier than you expected, and that they didn't SIGN the form??!?

Sorry, but you are a problem tenant, and if it were me, I would not renew your lease. If you wanted to break the lease, I'd say yes in a heartbeat, but don't expect a good recommendation in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 07:45 PM

453 posts, read 409,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Keep in mind the OP lives in Canada, so the laws could be different up there than we are used to in the US.

That being said, in my opinion, the Super bent over backward to comply with your requests. At YOUR insistence, they got someone out on a weekend, next day, holiday week, which is practically impossible and probably cost them double, and you are complaining that they went earlier than you expected, and that they didn't SIGN the form??!?

Sorry, but you are a problem tenant, and if it were me, I would not renew your lease. If you wanted to break the lease, I'd say yes in a heartbeat, but don't expect a good recommendation in the future.
The LL doesn’t get praise for responding to a bug infestation. It is literally their responsibility. I don’t know why so many people here want to give a pat on the back to the manager for responding in a timely manner.

The LL will probably be happy to see the tenant go. Maybe they can get someone who won’t care if the issues are fixed or not.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:50 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

OP is a problem tenant because he doesn't expect to live in a place infested with bugs?

We must have a different definition of this term.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:23 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
The LL doesn’t get praise for responding to a bug infestation. It is literally their responsibility. I don’t know why so many people here want to give a pat on the back to the manager for responding in a timely manner.

The LL will probably be happy to see the tenant go. Maybe they can get someone who won’t care if the issues are fixed or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
OP is a problem tenant because he doesn't expect to live in a place infested with bugs?

We must have a different definition of this term.
I don't know where either of you got these responses from. It clearly wasn't in response to what I posted.

The tenant isn't a problem tenant because they don't want to live with the bugs. They are a problem tenant because they are being whiny about the process, acting like they expect the landlord to just wave a magic wand and make the problem go away. Bugs happen from time to time and have to be dealt with. That's life. I've got top end rentals that have occasionally had to be treated for bugs of one type or another. It happens.

The super was willing to fix the problem, and scheduled an appointment in a reasonable amount of time. Tenant whined about it, so super moved up the schedule and got it done even faster than reasonable (next day, weekend, holiday week is not a reasonable expectation for anything except extreme emergency like fire or flood). Tenant whined about that too. Then tenant tries to use "they didn't sign the form giving me notice that they were entering at an earlier time (which I demanded)" as an excuse. So yes, I stand by problem tenant.

And honestly OP, if you knew they were coming EARLY morning Saturday, and you weren't going to be there in case they were early (as 3rd party contractors, they are rarely exactly on time, usually either early or late), you should have had the important things out on Friday night. At worst, you should have been at the house at 6:30 AM moving everything out, as they wouldn't have time to wait for you to move it once they arrived. And you would have to have somewhere to put it for half a day, so the excuse that you were going to just move it while they sprayed doesn't work, because you have to stay out for a few hours.

Things happen. Your landlord is at fault if they ignore the problem. They didn't. Spraying on Monday would have been totally reasonable, but the super went the extra mile to comply with tenant's wishes and tenant is still unhappy.

What I want to know is what time on Saturday did tenant call the super, when he was told the spraying was already done? If it was at 6:00 AM when tenant were getting ready to head there to remove stuff, then ok, they were really early. If it was between 6 and 7 am, they were a little early, but tenant should already have been at the house anyway. But if it was any time after that, then that isn't anyone else's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting