Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 03:12 PM

15,138 posts, read 27,747,332 times

Advertisements

I thought the phone was history because you couldn't pay the bill???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 06:51 PM

2,464 posts, read 2,757,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I thought the phone was history because you couldn't pay the bill???
Phones will connect to the internet via WiFi even without cellular service.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:41 PM

267 posts, read 271,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Phones will connect to the internet via WiFi even without cellular service.
That's what I have. I just use the phone for FB, internet and games.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,452,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
I cant stay with my friend Chloe because she has a baby and her parents dont know me and i dont have a job. i can't just stay with them. They are keeping my dog which is really nice of them and he will be happy there since they have another dog his size he can play with. so she is helping me that way.
I don't understand this at all. I think there's something deeper with this story. If I am a parent and my daughter lives with me, I would want to help one of my daughter's friends in whatever way I could. Parents help their friends' kids. If it is between helping a daughter's friend and having that daughter's friend live on the streets, I think most parents would at least temporarily house a daughter's friend. This excuse seems flimsy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
i moved to this city not knowing anybody and starting a new job.

Lots of people do this. There are people that move to cities unemployed and not knowing anyone simply because their life would be a dead end in the previous town. You were fortunate to start a new job in a new city.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:25 PM

510 posts, read 716,067 times
She should trade sex for housing? That is really a disgusting suggestion. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are not female.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:36 PM

24,554 posts, read 18,214,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
While I was in college, if I ever did not feel like studying, I thought about spending the rest of my life working a lousy retail job. That got me to study.
I’ll bet you didn’t grow up with generational poverty. Single parent. Alcohol and drug problems. Small town where you’re on the wrong side of the tracks. I’m sure your mommy and daddy made sure you did your schoolwork and made sure you went to college. You had all the advantages. Belle Woods had none of those.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:32 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,876,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’ll bet you didn’t grow up with generational poverty. Single parent. Alcohol and drug problems. Small town where you’re on the wrong side of the tracks. I’m sure your mommy and daddy made sure you did your schoolwork and made sure you went to college. You had all the advantages. Belle Woods had none of those.
Ben Carson was raised on welfare and in housing projects; I was severely and systematically abused throughout childhood yet still got a Master's and no my parents did not pay for my education. One's upbringing is not an excuse to fail.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:44 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,876,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
She should trade sex for housing? That is really a disgusting suggestion. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are not female.
I am female and while I personally am too prudish (and old and hag-ish) to do it, I think trading sex for money is a valid way to make a living, barring pimp involvement/trafficking situations. In my opinion the female is the one in power in that situation; the male customer is the dumb sap paying for it and making a fool of himself by being so pathetic he has to pay someone to pretend to like him.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:48 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,452,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I did have more advantages than the OP, but I had my own difficulties to overcome. I also did not have the privilege of attending an Ivy League school for either my undergraduate or graduate degree. I am to blame for this, because I didn't do enough to become a credible candidate for an Ivy League education.

It's fair to say that OP was disadvantaged in her home life and her education. She could have lifted herself out of a difficult situation. Even if I am being critical of her, she deserves credit for not getting pregnant and not having a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
1. OP was already trading sex for housing with a lower tier sugar daddy paying for her weekly motel room accommodations.

2. In case you haven't been paying attention, there is a massive oversupply of single men relative to single women ages 20-39. Basic economics indicates that when something is scarce, its value increases. Due to this massive oversupply of single men, single women can drive a pretty hard bargain for regular access to sex these days in conventional relationships, at least until age ~40. It's pretty standard for young women to be able to get a male to cover a significant portion of her living expenses. If they move in together, often times the boyfriend's salary will cover the housing expense, which is the largest budgetary line item. Men have to do this because if they don't, someone else will. This is in essence trading sex for housing.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,240,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
Ben Carson was raised on welfare and in housing projects; I was severely and systematically abused throughout childhood yet still got a Master's and no my parents did not pay for my education. One's upbringing is not an excuse to fail.
Sadly, I was as well. And after a tough start, I finally had no choice but to get my shat together.

Again, what about housekeeping at any of the places she has stayed in exchange/discounted rent?

What about working 24/7 until you get your backside straight? Bum leg or not, you do what you have to do. "Generational poverty"? Please. Excuses. Starving is a great motivator.

Isn't this "Chloe" chick the same one she went clubbing with and the $$$ debacle? I'm sorry I would not be taking someone's dog while they are walking the streets. "Gimme the dog- now get out, Good luck!" WTF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting