Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 12:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem888 View Post
You guys bring up a good point about HOA's, which I didn't consider before while looking for a new place to buy. I know that townships govern how many pets you can have, however, I totally did not consider that HOA's do as well. As we are downsizing from a 3 bedroom home with 1-acre land to potentially buying a smaller home, like a condo/townhome that has an HOA, thank you for this!
Yeah just because mine is lax doesn't mean that others are. Here no one would know you had 4 cats and no one would care unless they were causing a problem, but that wouldn't be true everywhere. Well, one of my neighbors would care and would call it in. She doesn't like that mine go outside. She'd have a case if she didn't let her dogs off leash. She specifically wants mine inside or onleash so that hers can be off. Sorry, lady, doesn't work that way.

If you're considering an HOA, you'll be learning about a lot of fun dynamics with that!

Old 08-24-2018, 02:37 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I didn't disclose a cat and got away with it. Oh my! Straight to hell with me. I am over my pet limit now too. I guess evil never changes. <She says while petting the oversized dog that is also not permitted, muahahahahaha>

If being of good character means I dump a dog I inherited in the pound not to break a stupid condo complex rule, oh well. I am not dumping this dog or the inherited cat to be 'moral' in your eyes. I think dumping either of them would be immoral.
No...it means being upfront with landlords about your pets, and offering additional pet deposits, and good references from prior landlords ..
Not dumping your pet.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
No...it means being upfront with landlords about your pets, and offering additional pet deposits, and good references from prior landlords ..
Not dumping your pet.
I don't have a LL. The pets were inherited when my mother died. Reading comprehension is really bad in the midst of all the blind rage from LLs about pets.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:45 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Wow, some really heartless responses on here. We do what we have to do for our furbabies and no rental or HOA on the planet will take in 4 cats (although, I have occassionally seen a 3-pet limit). I can't believe people would even attempt to make a judgement call about character. You are just trying to home your pets. No one talks about "character" of the owners when we have to pay pet "rents". I find that very sleazy - they don't want to count them as "family", yet still want to charge a monthly fee for them (in addition to the non-refundable deposits).
I had a rental with 4 cats that i allowed. Also one with 5 dogs. Both tenants were upfront about number of pets, and had good references. Homes were left in good shape.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:48 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
As mentioned elsewhere, just because they aren't enforced doesn't make them null and void. But besides that, you yourself recognize them as the rules. Otherwise, you would not have stated that you were over the pet limit and had an oversized dog.
Lack of enforcement invalidates rules based on the statute of limitations on contracts in your state. Here that is 6 years, if an HOA ignores landscaping requirements for 6 years they cannot enforce the requirements on any home. In order for them to begin enforcement again they have to notify everyone as well as grandfather any current violaters into the "no rules" rule.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:00 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
I don't have a LL. The pets were inherited when my mother died. Reading comprehension is really bad in the midst of all the blind rage from LLs about pets.
I don’t see what your point is. Your personal situation does not reflect real world. The reason you have the IDGAF attitude is simply because nobody can tell you how many pets you can have. You own your own home so you’re not subject to the rules of the LL. Your HOA does not enforce their own rules so that has you off the hook as far as the amount of pets you have. In the past you ran across managers or LLs who either didn’t care or didn’t know how to run their properties. How you obtained the pets is inconsequential.

But none of that matters because none of it applies when you are a renter/tenant in most real world situations. When you rent , you signed a agreement that spells out what you can and can’t do and you just don’t get to do what you want when renting.
When you violate that agreement and you have a LL or manager who isn’t a pushover you’ll be in a different situation.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:10 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Also, check the laws in that city. Our cat had kittens and the next door neighbor called the police because we had too many animals (Two adult cats and five kittens) and the law said no more than three animals per household. And, we owned the place (a condo).

Yes, the police came and gave us a stern lecture and we were told that we had to find homes for the excess animals.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:38 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Also, check the laws in that city. Our cat had kittens and the next door neighbor called the police because we had too many animals (Two adult cats and five kittens) and the law said no more than three animals per household. And, we owned the place (a condo).

Yes, the police came and gave us a stern lecture and we were told that we had to find homes for the excess animals.
I LOVE it!

Old 08-25-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don’t see what your point is. Your personal situation does not reflect real world. The reason you have the IDGAF attitude is simply because nobody can tell you how many pets you can have. You own your own home so you’re not subject to the rules of the LL. Your HOA does not enforce their own rules so that has you off the hook as far as the amount of pets you have. In the past you ran across managers or LLs who either didn’t care or didn’t know how to run their properties. How you obtained the pets is inconsequential.

But none of that matters because none of it applies when you are a renter/tenant in most real world situations. When you rent , you signed a agreement that spells out what you can and can’t do and you just don’t get to do what you want when renting.
I know, and everyone skipped over the fact that for the entire time of my life, including in college after that one roommate didn't have her pet deposit up front, I disclosed my cat at each place, paid the deposit, etc. Everyone just went ape over what was a funny story that happened in college that I didn't design or plot.

I was called a nightmare and all this ridiculous stuff. Just to blow all the haters' skirts up, I threw in the current situation. Clarifying that I own my home didn't stop the predicted rage that followed. Including saying I should end up HOMELESS.

Go back and look at people saying 'I know that you are borrowing my 250K property and lying to me'. What in the f? I'm not renting, much less from them.

I've even defended the dog rules here. I saw well, people move here thinking that small dogs is all that will be here, and it's unfair then to foist large dogs on the common property. As they are walking with their 7 pound darling, these big dogs come and scare them to death.

But that ship sailed a long time ago. Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Quote:
When you violate that agreement and you have a LL or manager who isn’t a pushover you’ll be in a different situation
Why and how will that be happening? Unless something terrible happens to me, I am not going to be selling my home and looking for a rental. If I did have to, I'd be searching high and low for a place that would accept my pets up front. As I always did my entire life.

I truly am sorry for nightmare stories LLs have, but I am not 'part of the problem' and there is no reason to make me a target of that anger. I never caused anyone to replace their carpet or any of that.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:49 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
I know, and everyone skipped over the fact that for the entire time of my life, including in college after that one roommate didn't have her pet deposit up front, I disclosed my cat at each place, paid the deposit, etc. Everyone just went ape over what was a funny story that happened in college that I didn't design or plot.

I was called a nightmare and all this ridiculous stuff. Just to blow all the haters' skirts up, I threw in the current situation. Clarifying that I own my home didn't stop the predicted rage that followed. Including saying I should end up HOMELESS.

Go back and look at people saying 'I know that you are borrowing my 250K property and lying to me'. What in the f? I'm not renting, much less from them.

I've even defended the dog rules here. I saw well, people move here thinking that small dogs is all that will be here, and it's unfair then to foist large dogs on the common property. As they are walking with their 7 pound darling, these big dogs come and scare them to death.

But that ship sailed a long time ago. Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Why and how will that be happening? Unless something terrible happens to me, I am not going to be selling my home and looking for a rental. If I did have to, I'd be searching high and low for a place that would accept my pets up front. As I always did my entire life.

I truly am sorry for nightmare stories LLs have, but I am not 'part of the problem' and there is no reason to make me a target of that anger. I never caused anyone to replace their carpet or any of that.
You continue to assume everyone is talking directly to you and not using the term “you” as the reader. Pretty sure that’s why you’ve blatantly misread just about everything on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting