Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:27 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,460,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The dryer vent with the long run is longer than code would approve in my jurisdiction... you will probably need to keep an eye on it because it's sure to be a recurring problem

The house was BUILT that way... weird! The LL ended up paying us to move it tho... now the run is about 15 ft... and the dryer works! ( I bought a new one when we moved in, thinking it was MY dryer's fault the clothes weren't getting dry... $500 later, we knew it was the vent. We bought a really nice dryer from the "dinged" section and so couldn't return it... not that I'd want to)
The owner is fortunate to have someone able to work through problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 53,037 times
Default plugged drains

What u must keep in mind is plumbing does get plugged regularly. Clearing these plugs is tHe Landlords responsibility unless they can prove it was due to unusual circumstances.

I do not have to prove i didnt do it.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:07 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,460,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauras2u View Post
What u must keep in mind is plumbing does get plugged regularly. Clearing these plugs is tHe Landlords responsibility unless they can prove it was due to unusual circumstances.

This is the way we operate... any plumbing issue is promptly addressed and responsibility is based on the findings...

Old 10-03-2010, 09:07 PM

18 posts, read 72,466 times
Default Who cleans clogged drains

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankandgracie View Post
Who repairs a clogged kitchen sink in a rental property?
Landlord or tenant?
Well, as a landlord, I do. Because, I want to make sure that its done right. I dont want anyone using Draino or similar products either and state that in the lease. I also dont want a tenant calling for and paying a Professional Plumber to come over (usually at 7pm on a Saturday) and then try deduct the huge cost from the rent, causing us both a huge headache.

If it becomes a recurrent problem (and it sometimes does) I will clean the drain iesnake the pipes) and charge a small fee. (also stated in the lease) The fee is not actually for my time it is meant to discourage tenants from repeatedly putting anything other than soap and water down the kitchen drains and 'appropriate' solids in the bathroom.

Clearing clogged drains is really one of the many very important issues a tenant should get clear with a landlord prior to rental. IMO

Old 10-03-2010, 09:20 PM

Default Items in drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Well, when you pull the food spooge and chicken bones out of the drain, or the plumber holds up the banana peel, or the scrubbing rag - if you are able to look at that and say "yep, that's definately the owner's - he snuck in one night and put it there", then the owner would pay.

But if it's your residue or debris clogging the drain, then the bill also belongs to you.

Steve

OMG! I hear you! I just love it when a tenant calls me at 9pm to tell me their drains are clogged and that water is now flowing over onto the floor!
If I can, I'll actually go over that late at night, but if not I ask them to please refrain from using the sink until 8am. When i get there and clean the drain and find strings from the dishrag, food particles, and a wad of GREASE at the end of my snake, they always stand there and say "that cant be mine because I dont cook with grease".
OK, I guess the hamburger helper box in the garbage was a Vegan version huh? Or the grease fairy came in and cooked a meal for them. What the???

I have found the strangest items in each and every drain of my property and every time the tenant claims they didnt put it there. I end up paying with my time and effort but that means nothing to a tenant because its my property and my business.
But, when its foreign contents the tenant pays.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Default Grease will clog a drain quickly if it follows another solid

[quote=lauras2u;8623289]Iron drain pipes do not become 85%BLOCKED in just a few months, clearly u had neglected them too long.

Yes they can. Any pipe can clog up in a matter of hours if its grease. Grease from chicken and hamburger solidifies as soon as it cools. If there is any hair, or a bit of sponge, or a bit of cat food or any other solid for it to attach to, then all of the grease that comes after the solid will add to the glob of goop and clog the drain. Once the water is off, it solidifies. If you believe it cant happen, put a piece small piece of anything down your drain and then dump a half cup of hamburger grease after it. Wait until tomorrow morning and see how the water flows. Well, only if you are the Property Owner. Dont worry, you know it cant happen.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Default Yes, just because previous tenant had no problem....

Being a LL I can tell you that just because one tenant never complained about something doesnt make it so. For example, new tenant cant figure out why certain burner works intermittently. LL cant assume its the new tenants fault because the previous tenant cooked everything in the micro.

New tenant cant wash laundry because drain is clogged. LL cant blame new tenant just because the old tenant didnt complain. Because thinking back..... When she hooked up a hose and ran water outside she said she used the 'gray water' for the plants. ( it seemed reasonable, she wasnt hurting anything) she also said it saved on the sewer bill which is costlier that water itself.

So, as you see, previous tenants non reported items are not a good way to guage current issues.

BUT please remember......tenants not reporting problems is neglect. A LL cant fix something they dont know about. Some things only get found by living in the property and belive it or not, everyone expects different things from a property, which is a good reason to report something as soon as you encounter it and always in writing.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:48 AM

3,532 posts, read 2,994,343 times
Call the inspector and they will check everything and send her a letter to repair stuff within X days

Old 02-06-2017, 09:49 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,011,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauras2u View Post

Really? I've lived in the same place for 9 years and never had to call a plumber for clogged or "plugged" plumbing. Nothing goes down my drains but water and.. er.. the normal toilet things.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:56 AM

32,527 posts, read 47,575,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
......... Nothing goes down my drains but water and.. er.. the normal toilet things.
As I tell my tenants: nothing goes down that toilet unless you have chewed it and swallowed it first.

Drains do not get clogged except for two reasons: 1) tree roots have filled the drain line. They don't do that with PVC plumbing, only with old clay tiles, and when that is the problem, every drain in the entire building is stopped. That one is the landlord's problem, but it is very rare.

2) the tenant has put something down the drain that should not be placed in the drain. That will clog up one or two drains (whatever is on the same line) and cleaning that is the tenant's expense.

Drains simply do not clog up all on their own. If the drains were clear when you moved in, they will stay clear unless you try to put something down the drain that doesn't belong there.

Just because the package says that it can be flushed does not mean that it really can be flushed. Tampon applicators, condoms, and baby wipes are frequently the cause of drain clogs. Grease down the kitchen sink is most likely the number one cause of drain clogs, and unless the landlord comes around every week to pour his own bacan grease down your kitchen sink, that clog is cleared at the tenant's expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting