Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If you ask me? Been doing this LL thing for 25 years. My leases get proof read by three people. Me my wife and a lawyer. And I go over the lease with the tenant present. I never miswrote a term and condition of payment.

If I were in this situation and tenant refused to amend to the initial agreed upon rate because of a mistake such as this I wouldn’t waste the time to go to court. It would cost me as much time and money to try and get the $200 as it would to actually get the $200. They want to stick to the contract? Ok it is what it is. But after this I know the exact type of person I’m dealing with. They want to be unforgiv8ng? Twocan play that game. Sure you got one over on me. Congratulations. I would eat the $200 a month but the lease simply would not be renewed when it came up for renewal. I dint have to renew it. And since you aren’t past the 12 consecutive months all I’m required to give is a 30 day notice. And things that I would normally give a pass on and not charge as far as damage at final walk if I could rightfully charge it I would. Not to mention any misstep by tenant during the course of the lease will be enforced. They don’t “need to rip you off” they can simply charge for any damage other than normal wear/tear you caused throughout your residency. They can use the highest quotes they get to do the repairs. And they can also give you a bad reference.

The problem is, the landlord started out threatening a lawsuit. Not, oh hey, this was a scrivener's error...

If you start out with me immediately threatening a lawsuit, I know I don't want to stay beyond a year anyway. So, yep, you start out threatening to sue me and I say - nope, I don't have to sign your amended lease and you just go ahead and sue.

You failed to apparently read my full post, where I said the OP should decide if it's worth the money they would save, etc.

I think some landlords on this forum are ready to retire. When everything is some kind of "war" and they start acting like Simon LeGree, I think it's time to take a vacation at least, and maybe it's really time to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 08:36 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The issue is a simple case of scriveners error.
I was under the impression that a scriveners error would be something like transposed numbers or a misplaced decimal point. I didn't think it was, "Oh, we meant to raise the rent from the last lease but we forgot."

Of course, I'm not an expert, so maybe others could weigh in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting