Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,093 times

Advertisements

What are the risks involved in keeping a outdoor rabbit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 10:34 AM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
What does you City laws say? Mine says No Rabbits allowed.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:42 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,587,895 times
Assuming it is a pet (not commercial rabbitry) in a secure hutch and the town allows keeping them outside, the big risks are to the rabbit, not the landlord. Weather might be too harsh, or loose dogs and cats from neighbors might “visit”.

Rabbits are silent (except if attacked), nonaggressive, and clean. However, if the owner does not have a safe hutch or does not clean it, someone else might complain.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:46 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdsouza1 View Post
What are the risks involved in keeping a outdoor rabbit?
Outdoor cats and hawks.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:42 AM

32,477 posts, read 47,405,393 times
The risk to the landlord is that the tenant might be telling a fib and the rabbit is a house pet. Rabies chew electric cords, chew cabinets, wall board, and vinyl flooring. In spite of house trained rabbit assurance, they poop and pee on the carpet.

Rabbit housing sinks if it isn't cleaned daily.

If the rabbit really is kept outside full time, if it is against city ordinance, there might be a citation for the property owner. There might be piles of rabbit poop under the cage, and if the cage is against a wall, the paint might be damaged by droppings or possible chewing.

( I have country properties where I allow caged rabbit with written permission, but only rabbits raised for meat or 4-H, not pet rabbits)

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 10-06-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 12:59 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,762,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The risk to the landlord is that the tenant is telling a fib and the rabbit is a house pet. Rabies chew electric cords, chew cabinets, wall board, and vinyl flooring. In spite of house trained rabbit assurance, they poop and pee on the carpet.

Rabbit housing sinks if it isn't cleaned daily.

If the rabbit really is kept outside full time, if it is against city ordinance, there might be a citation for the property owner. There might be piles of rabbit poop under the cage, and if the cage is against a wall, the paint might be damaged by droppings or possible chewing.

( I have country properties where I allow caged rabbit with written permission, but only rabbits raised for meat or 4-H, not pet rabbits)
Agree.

That the tenant is asking permission implies that, perhaps, there is a no pets clause in the lease. If that's the case, just say no (in writing) and be done with it. Give a tenant an inch and you could end up loosing a foot.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:15 PM

4,513 posts, read 2,488,510 times
If you live where it gets cold, id be concerned that it is abusive to rabbit.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:04 PM

438 posts, read 371,410 times
Pet rabbits in general are not outside pets. Yes, they have fur to keep them warm and a good hutch can protect them, but no experienced or truly caring rabbit owner would find housing only to let them be outside. Another thing, rabbits are social animals and most rabbit owners I know keep at least two so they have companionship. A red flag to me is they say they only have one and insist they'll keep it inside.

There is no way someone who cares about the rabbit would settle for a situation where they're only outside pets, eventual the rabbit will find itself inside for some reason and that's where problems occur as they can be pretty destructive inside with little things to nibble on and small spaces to hide in. If you don't want the rabbit inside or have a no pets rule simply tell them no. I would say no regardless because it's just not fair to the rabbit and the potential for issues are too high.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:43 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
The people I've ever known, including friends, who keep rabbits, always end up letting them run around inside. Rabbits pee and poop at will, while hopping around. So, if someone has a rabbit, that sleeps outside, it will most likely also spend time inside peeing and pooping on the flooring/carpeting.

So, if that's not okay with you, and the rabbit can't reasonably be claimed as a service animal - I'd say no.

I had a tenant once, in the apartment building I managed, who snuck a rabbit into her apartment. The owner saw her dump garbage that smelled like an animal, and he opened up the garbage bags to verify that sure enough, it was rabbit/sawdust droppings. He didn't want to confront her based on looking into her garbage lol. But, when she complained about a neighbor's noisy air conditioner and we told her we weren't going to make the neighbor get a new air conditioner - and she ranted on about what a great tenant she was, so we should give her what she wanted -- we smiled while we nicely invited her to start looking for a new apartment, if she didn't like the one she had.

Sometimes you're happy to see the screen door slam behind a tenant, as they leave.

Bottom line - tell them no, and then keep an eye on any evidence they got a rabbit anyway, and if they do, be ready to kick them out.

Odds are, though, that they will get one anyway - with or without permission. So, be ready to deal with that.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:39 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,038,809 times
An outside rabbit? Why? would be my curiosity question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting