Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 11:57 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,189,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plovedupont View Post
Ok what about the women that is in an abusive relationship and cant get out and while she is in it is forced , beat to commit a crime.

She is charged but yet free from her abuser but now labeled a felon. She goes many years without committing another crime

Should she not be able to rent a place to live?

I mean really some crimes yeah I can understand but what they should become homeless
Are you saying where she beats up her husband/boy friend to get get out of the relationship?

It that's what you are saying then it would depend on how she went about it.

If she beat him with a baseball bat while he was a sleep, then she probably should go to jail.

If she beat him with the same bat while he was hitting her, then no she should not go to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,127,273 times
^ I think she's talking about a woman who is forced by an abusive man to commit crimes with him or for him. As in, "go rob that store or I shall further abuse you. grr.".

I say, bah. Do whatever it takes to get out of the relationship before being "forced" to commit a felony.

As far as if she deserves to be able to rent a place -- sure. But if there is someone else who wants to rent the same place and that other person hasn't committed a crime, who do you think people would rather rent to?

There's no trick here. When everything else is equal, a person who committed a crime is a less attractive applicant than someone who hasn't. Period. Full stop. The end.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,117 times
Here is my personal story:

I was convicted in 1992, 1993, and 1994 of vehicular burglary (breaking into cars) -- thay rae felonies.

I was 18, 19, and 20 years old at the time. I am now 34 years old, married with three children, and recently graduated Medical school and ready to begin my Medical residency this years in Internal Medicine.

I would like to know how people who have made comments here can discriminate someone such as myself with others with a record -- ON PAPER!

When I was younger I was in such a different state of mind. I was misguided and had no direction or purpose, and I associated with a negative/bad crowd.

In spite of this history though I have pursued -- through God's Grace -- all the things I set out to do in life and I do not commit crimes of any sort as I base my life on spiritual matters.

I do not drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, etc.

I would like to know how I would be denied renting a property as if I would pose some threat of harm to other residents.

Any comments????

Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,557,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegod74200274 View Post

I was convicted in 1992, 1993, and 1994 of vehicular burglary (breaking into cars) -- thay rae felonies.

I was 18, 19, and 20 years old at the time. I am now 34 years old, married with three children, and recently graduated Medical school and ready to begin my Medical residency this years in Internal Medicine.

I would like to know how people who have made comments here can discriminate someone such as myself with others with a record -- ON PAPER!

When I was younger I was in such a different state of mind. I was misguided and had no direction or purpose, and I associated with a negative/bad crowd.

In spite of this history though I have pursued -- through God's Grace -- all the things I set out to do in life and I do not commit crimes of any sort as I base my life on spiritual matters.

I would like to know how I would be denied renting a property as if I would pose some threat of harm to other residents.

Any comments????
Yes I have. Good for you if what you are writing is true. I wonder how you have time to be on this forum and read the blogs while doing what you described and having a family....but after all we are all sitting behind our computers and we can write the truth or we can make up stories, nobody really knows....(I know that I'm writing the truth about myself.)

Still I wonder what will happen if you come across a dificult time in your profession or family life and with your background it might be easier to fall back, I hope not but still if you have the past as you describe and not having done it once, twice but 3 x and showing you have a history of repeating bad things...to me I would chose another to rent my place to above you...sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear...but keep up the good work and if 2 felons show up for the same rental...you might up getting it easier than the one with a worse track record.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Any comments????
*sigh*

Okay, one more time:

You sound fine. And you just may be. But if you are applying, and someone else is applying who has no criminal record and makes enough money and has decent credit and all that other good crap -- I'm taking him over you. As always, if all other things are equal (or even close really) I'd prefer someone who doesn't have a criminal record. You'd be amazed at how many people manage to go their entire lives without stealing a single car. I don't care how long ago it was and that you now crap rainbows and fart glitter.

Final answer: with the exception of the apparent chip on your shoulder, you do sound like someone who would be a good risk. But if there is someone else who would be a good risk - and is crime free - they'll be chosen first.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
..but keep up the good work and if 2 felons show up for the same rental...you might up getting it easier than the one with a worse track record.
This.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,742,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightinup View Post
I take responsibility for my choice in writting a forged check to a bank. I lost my job, got evicted from my apartment. I lived with a friend and her kids. At that time I had three small children. I made a bad choice at the time when I needed to make my car payment, rent and buy food. I regret that I made this choice. I did not do any jail time, but was put on probabtion for three years and pay the money back. This happened in the year 1996. I got off probabtion in 2001.
If I were the landlord, I would take your story into consideration. If it was one single bad check on your record, I would probably rent to you anyway. However, I might not accept checks from you ...I might stipulate that you provide the rent in cash or a bank money order, or electronic billpay.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,189,204 times
Quote:

Any comments????
Did you repay those that you stole from?

This is an old worn out excuse.
"When I was younger I was in such a different state of mind."

I don't rent to felons no matter what.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Did you repay those that you stole from?

This is an old worn out excuse.
"When I was younger I was in such a different state of mind."
Right, and I'm sure you were born with the maturity and clarity of thought of a 40-year-old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I don't rent to felons no matter what.
In that case, I hope you're not scratching your head wondering why our recidivism rate is so high. Those who believe convicts don't deserve a chance to re-enter mainstream society no matter what should expect nothing less.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,557,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Right, and I'm sure you were born with the maturity and clarity of thought of a 40-year-old.

In that case, I hope you're not scratching your head wondering why our recidivism rate is so high. Those who believe convicts don't deserve a chance to re-enter mainstream society no matter what should expect nothing less.

Recidism has nothing to do with this and we don't have to feel sorry all the time....unless we can't get other renters...still more people stay out of the criminal system and the go first in line...not the other way around...maybe previous criminals who have changed their life can become LL and rent to criminals...wouldn't we all be happy that way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting