Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 AM

768 posts, read 938,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Just because they served their time, does not mean they miraculously become good and redeemed people. It is rare that they actually due rehabilitate unfortunately. I believe I read that 75% are repeat offenders. I mean if you commit a crime and do time, and then expect to be treated as if you are no longer a criminal, that is a stretch. A criminal mind is hard to change, as many of them have personality disorders which are almost impossible to help.
What's a "criminal mind?"

A criminal record is more a function of class than an adherence to law. What's more, adherence to the law has little to do with morality for the vast majority of educated and morally decent people in my view.

"...Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism"

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 02:15 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,127,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRobinson View Post
Sex offenders are in a different category but I am here to tell you the reason the recurrence of crime and violence is so high is due to the fact that so many are denied work and housing. My son was car jacked, he beat the crap out of the guy who car jacked him and was arrested for felony assault. He was sentenced to 8 years in prison. He had never been in trouble and has not been in trouble since he has been home (5 years now) and he still gets denied a decent place to live. And since those of you who do feel the way you do continue to perpetuate discrimination, you should consider this. Felons walk with you, ride the bus with you, serve you food in resteraunts and are living right under your noses and don't bother anyone. They are rehabbed those who need it and when they get out they just want to move forward. If society does not allow them to make a living and rent a place to live, who do you think they will get it from.. You can blame yourself for repeat crime
Quote:
Most definitely. And I think there should be stricter guidelines as to how long people should be able to poke into your business. My son was convicted in 1997. He still has difficulty. He has a good job through a family connection, his apartment is rented in his girlfriends name because he still gets denied (Unless he applies in a bad neighborhood). The whole point is to get out of those areas and better yourself and stay out of trouble. As for the insurance racket...If it is mandatory to have insurance they should not be allowed to run credit. You are required by law to have it so your credit should not matter.
Why is this so tough for people to get?
One more time:
I will only rent to your son if he is the best applicant I have. And it is rare that he would be. When all other things are equal - or really, even close to equal - I'm gonna choose the applicant who has not screwed up so bad that they had to be imprisoned. Maybe if I took the time to get to know your son I'd realize what a shining light he really is and how badly he got jobbed by the system, but I have limited time. I use what information I can. Income, rental history, credit history, criminal history -- all these things are important. And if one person has a criminal record and the others don't, he better make a REAAAAAALLY good impression and make a ton of money at a job he's been working at for fifteen years that just relocated him - and a glowing rec from his previous landlord wouldn't hurt either. Even then, if one of the other guys made enough to pay the rent, I'd probably pick him. Why? Because he hasn't screwed up so bad that he's been convicted of a felony. Simple. Easy peasy. Nothing personal. Sorry your son has such a tough time and that you seem to think we're all out to get him. I'm not. I'm simply out to find the best renter I can. And criminals seem pretty risky to me.

Oh, and as far as blaming myself for repeat crime? Forget about it. I blame the criminals. You know, the ones who commit the crimes.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post

A criminal record is more a function of class than an adherence to law. What's more, adherence to the law has little to do with morality for the vast majority of educated and morally decent people in my view.

Thomas Jefferson
Oh, puh-leeeze.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:07 PM

768 posts, read 938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Oh, puh-leeeze.
Good argument.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:19 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,819,843 times
Quote:

Thomas Jefferson
Not if you have been a crime victim.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,562,029 times
Quote:
Why is this so tough for people to get?
One more time:
I will only rent to your son if he is the best applicant I have. And it is rare that he would be. When all other things are equal - or really, even close to equal - I'm gonna choose the applicant who has not screwed up so bad that they had to be imprisoned. Maybe if I took the time to get to know your son I'd realize what a shining light he really is and how badly he got jobbed by the system, but I have limited time. I use what information I can. Income, rental history, credit history, criminal history -- all these things are important. And if one person has a criminal record and the others don't, he better make a REAAAAAALLY good impression and make a ton of money at a job he's been working at for fifteen years that just relocated him - and a glowing rec from his previous landlord wouldn't hurt either. Even then, if one of the other guys made enough to pay the rent, I'd probably pick him. Why? Because he hasn't screwed up so bad that he's been convicted of a felony. Simple. Easy peasy. Nothing personal. Sorry your son has such a tough time and that you seem to think we're all out to get him. I'm not. I'm simply out to find the best renter I can. And criminals seem pretty risky to me.

Oh, and as far as blaming myself for repeat crime? Forget about it. I blame the criminals. You know, the ones who commit the crimes.
I'm with you...If I would be desperate I would rent to criminals, people who had DUI, etc...but I'm not in that position so I'm rewarding the people who did the right thing in their life

Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Good argument.
Oh, puh-leeeze.

How 'bout this one:

I don't think even you believe that bunk you posted. What are you suggesting, that most criminals are freedom fighters in the vein of M.L.K.? Righting wrongs, fighting the good fight against all these "unjust laws"? Horsepoop. And if you think as a landlord I'm going head up an investigation to see if an applicant's crime was "justified", you're living in a dreamland. I'll leave that to the court system. For all your whining about it, it's the system we have, so it's the one I go by. You wanna change it? Change it. Until then, if a judge/jury says someone committed a crime, I'm'a take their word for it.

And the "dissent" quote by T.J. is also hilariously misapplied here.

So yeah, I'm back to "puh-leeeeze. "

Old 02-14-2010, 01:31 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,562,029 times
Quote:
Oh, puh-leeeze.

How 'bout this one:

I don't think even you believe that bunk you posted. What are you suggesting, that most criminals are freedom fighters in the vein of M.L.K.? Righting wrongs, fighting the good fight against all these "unjust laws"? Horsepoop. And if you think as a landlord I'm going head up an investigation to see if an applicant's crime was "justified", you're living in a dreamland. I'll leave that to the court system. For all your whining about it, it's the system we have, so it's the one I go by. You wanna change it? Change it. Until then, if a judge/jury says someone committed a crime, I'm'a take their word for it.

And the "dissent" quote by T.J. is also hilariously misapplied here.

So yeah, I'm back to "puh-leeeeze. "
Again I agree with you... We don't have to sit on a judge his chair and the verdict has taken place...if the criminal doesn't like the verdict he has the right to appeal it...not with me but with the court system....and let us rent to the rest of the non criminals...if the criminals complain, than buy property and start renting it to other criminals and see how honest they are...

Old 02-20-2010, 09:27 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,751,683 times
Quote:
Sex offenders are in a different category but I am here to tell you the reason the recurrence of crime and violence is so high is due to the fact that so many are denied work and housing. My son was car jacked, he beat the crap out of the guy who car jacked him and was arrested for felony assault. He was sentenced to 8 years in prison. He had never been in trouble and has not been in trouble since he has been home (5 years now) and he still gets denied a decent place to live. And since those of you who do feel the way you do continue to perpetuate discrimination, you should consider this. Felons walk with you, ride the bus with you, serve you food in resteraunts and are living right under your noses and don't bother anyone. They are rehabbed those who need it and when they get out they just want to move forward. If society does not allow them to make a living and rent a place to live, who do you think they will get it from.. You can blame yourself for repeat crime
Isn't that self defense?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,819,843 times
Quote:

Thomas Jefferson
A sociopathic or psychopathic personality without concerns for the feelings of others or concerns for rules of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting