U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 03:53 AM

9,261 posts, read 16,551,645 times

Advertisements

Felons are felons for a reason. I wouldnt take the chance but if its something they did many yrs ago (unless its a violent crime like murder or rape) & has been clean & gainfully employed then i may reconsider.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 AM

23,266 posts, read 34,383,298 times
We received a call from a guy who stated he was at the wrong time and place (burglary) and was convicted many years ago and wanted to rent thorugh us. Since it was so long ago we told him if nothing else would show up he could rent through us....but the next question.."how much money do you make and your girlfriend, a month"...."we both have unemployment"....that says it all.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 AM

43,858 posts, read 41,685,429 times
I don't have a record, but I've worked with people through the years who have previous jail/prison records and they were perfectly nice responsible folks who made a mistake in their younger years. I would be more prone to rent to someone who committed armed robbery 10 years ago than someone who had a minor drug charge yesterday.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 8,218 times
We rented to a Black Woman with Three Kids in Asheville, NC, October 2010. She cried so we let her move in with less of a security. The day she took our key she was getting evicted for not paying rent at another home. By the time she was in, we found out she lied on the application. We have a forfeiture clause on our application as well as many on the contract but the attorney could never talk in court. She dominated the court room. We live in CA. We went to Asheville and I met her. She cried again. A man was living there. We won the case in February but she didn't have to pay back rent as she claimed she got food stamps. I called food stamps and she did not. She got free legal from Pisgah Legal. In May I found out she was using a gals social security in Louseville, Kentucky. The water was turned off on May 20th, 2011. I faxed to Pisgah legal, food stamps, attorney general, district attorney since my husband is disabled this is now a federal and state offense. The attorney didn't care that she was a criminal. I even faxed to Asheville Police, Tony Johnson all the information and proof. The day after the Sheriff locked her out, Christina Devlin from criminal investigations called to tell us she was a fraud, stealing purses, checkbooks and using different social security numbers. So, now i have a judgement against another social security number. North Carolina is the worst state to have a rental.
Daniel and Veronica Bruce 5305774308

Old 07-05-2011, 07:54 PM

Maybe someone wants to rent to Casey Anthony...another conviction...If she would apply with us it would be a HUGE "NO"!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,861 times
To the person that posted this blog, I am in a stedy relationship with a man that got a felony 10 1/2 years ago he was 19 when he got his felony due to him having a felony it has become extremly hard for him to find a place to live, He paid for what he did people should be more understanding to others situations.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenitta04 View Post
To the person that posted this blog, I am in a stedy relationship with a man that got a felony 10 1/2 years ago he was 19 when he got his felony due to him having a felony it has become extremly hard for him to find a place to live, He paid for what he did people should be more understanding to others situations.
First of all...that is the consequences of his behavior back then...don't accuse anybody else for his wrong doing.

Second, we take in consideration the time frame and what the felony was for. Certain things will not allow a person to rent from us.

If you buy a home you have no worries and don't have to deal with that and a $ 35 K home can be cheaper than a rental...so don't blame a Landlord for not willing to risk his property!

Nobody is entitled to somebody elses home after a conviction. Fair Housing Law doesn't apply for that!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 AM

204 posts, read 1,198,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommystrongwill View Post
We rented to a Black Woman with Three Kids in Asheville, NC, October 2010. She cried so we let her move in with less of a security. The day she took our key she was getting evicted for not paying rent at another home. By the time she was in, we found out she lied on the application. We have a forfeiture clause on our application as well as many on the contract but the attorney could never talk in court. She dominated the court room. We live in CA. We went to Asheville and I met her. She cried again. A man was living there. We won the case in February but she didn't have to pay back rent as she claimed she got food stamps. I called food stamps and she did not. She got free legal from Pisgah Legal. In May I found out she was using a gals social security in Louseville, Kentucky. The water was turned off on May 20th, 2011. I faxed to Pisgah legal, food stamps, attorney general, district attorney since my husband is disabled this is now a federal and state offense. The attorney didn't care that she was a criminal. I even faxed to Asheville Police, Tony Johnson all the information and proof. The day after the Sheriff locked her out, Christina Devlin from criminal investigations called to tell us she was a fraud, stealing purses, checkbooks and using different social security numbers. So, now i have a judgement against another social security number. North Carolina is the worst state to have a rental.
Daniel and Veronica Bruce 5305774308
While I doubt you were trying to make this post a racial issue, the fact she is "black" is irrelevant: White / Black / Hispanic / Jewish / Catholic / Elderly...I could go on, but be advised dishonesty knows no color, race, or creed. You Landlords fell for a sob story and got scammed. That was your fault, not the scammer. Forgive my lecture, but next time credit check, background check and reference check your prospective tenants. If you can't figure out how that's done type "thelpa" into Google and follow the link. And for heaven's sake - allow your tenant screening process to be the discriminator, not your personal experiences with past tenants.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 PM

18,283 posts, read 14,494,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenitta04 View Post
Life's tough, you picked him, deal with it.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 PM

719 posts, read 1,214,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Nobody is entitled to somebody elses home after a conviction. Fair Housing Law doesn't apply for that!
That's going to change in the next few years because it has become ridiculous.

In my county, bouncing a check for $501.00 is a felony. Using the tag off one of your cars on your other car until payday is a felony.

I am not a felon, but my son is. He became an addict, which was horrible in and of itself.
At 18 he got into an argument with another druggie. No punches occurred. No weapon was involved. But in the argument my son told him to empty his pockets and he took $31 from the guy.

Robbery. Not armed, but still robbery. People see that word on a background check and imagine he went into the mall with an A-K 47 robbing stores.
He was sentenced to six years but was allowed to do it all on probation, not parole.

He is now 25. Works a full-time job, has since his sentencing at 19 years old.... he is married, he stays in at night and leads a quiet life.

He cannot find a decent place to live because he is a felon.
It's darn near impossible for him to find a job, but he manages to stay employed. His current employer of almost two years hired him because he liked his personality.
When his background check came back (he didn't lie, the application never asked but the boss ran one anyway) his boss told him had he KNOWN my son was a felon he would never have been hired.

My son is a hard worker. He works overtime, he comes in early and stays late. Has always had a strong work ethic. His boss LOVES him.

So now, at 25 and married, he realizes that his felony, from when he was 18, is going to harm him until he takes his last breath. More than once I have had to talk him out of making his last breath be now.

The simple fact is, had I been able to afford an attorney for him at 18, he would not be a felon. It would have been reduced to a misdemeanor theft. This I know factually from speaking with the District Attorney who has become a friend of mine.

The simple fact is when my son was into drugs he was NOT someone I recognized nor would I ever want anyone to rent to him. he was out of control and didn't deserve the perks of polite society.

The simple fact is that because of one argument, at the age of 18, where he committed a crime.... for the next 70 years he has to convince himself every single day, that he is not worthless, he WILL make it in life, he WILL be able to support future children and he WILL be able to succeed.

It makes me sick that so many people think it's no big deal to dismiss the life long ramifications of this situation in America.

You don't want to accept that many return to prison because they end up in the street.
TEN and TWENTY years after committing ONE non-violent felony they still cannot find a decent home for their children, they cannot find work except cooking in a kitchen and they cannot get ahead.

My son's conviction is for a violent crime, but not everybody who is a felon was convicted of something violent. Like I said, a $501.00 bounced check here is a felony.

I am a journalist, specifically a crime reporter. So I sit in court all day most days. You would be shocked at how many people in America are being labeled felons for life, when the crime was not violent.

A very well respected attorney in our county asked the judge in open court one day, "Your honor, what are you going to do when you have made every person in this county a felon?"

I understand how you landlords feel. Before my son was in the system and before I sat in court for my job each day, I thought exactly like you do.

But something has to change. And it will. It won't be long before attitudes such as yours FORCE laws to change so that ex offenders are labeled a protected class.

I don't agree with it, but it is what's coming because nobody, not landlords, not employers, and not banks will allow a felon to EVER EVER get his life back.

I tell my son to walk into city hall and get a business license. NOBODY can stop him from doing that. I tell him to get mad, get angry, open a business and become so hugely successful financially that he can buy and sell petty landlords who refuse to rent to him after seven years of no problems.

Buy a house, pay cash and let the naysayers live in their misery.

My son has an excellent support system in me, and he WILL survive, and he WILL succeed in spite of societal attitudes.

But what about those who have no one? You wonder why they go back? Because without the ability to get a job, without the ability to rent a home, they are automatically violated on their parole. Out of FEAR of that happening, many give up and sell drugs, etc to at least be able to pay probation fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting