U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 PM

455 posts, read 498,182 times

Advertisements

Americans no longer differentiate between illegal activity and "real crime",

strangely enough as the felony designation is applied more broadly, the

consequences reach further due to technology, so its a double-whammy of

sorts. Way back when I suppose a felony conviction was only used by the

courts, not readily available to the public, it's certaintly more punitive than its

ever been as the disabilities associated with continue to mount ie.

employment,housing,licensing,etc. Felony should mean serious/heinous like it

is supposed too, not drug possession, prostitution, DUI, consensual sex, etc,

etc. We have a crime obsession due to the media and people see to love it,

I think it depends on the crime, if the crime shows a genuine malice towards

society, I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt, but what do I know,

I'm a felon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,739 times
hi i was woundering where your apartment building was? i have a felony on my record and it is very hard to find places to rent. my name is ashley and if you would like to contact me my email address is [EMAIL="montez419@yahoo.com"]montez419@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]. i check my email everyday. thank you for your time.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:05 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,170,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
ANY Felony is a crime! They are all bad period. I have never committed one and I know there are a million people who live their lives and never commit a crime. If you commit a crime you have some kind of deficit in your character. That is why they have jails and prisons.

So you would deny someone for loosing their job, got behind in child support due to that, and was convicted of a felony for non-payment?

Wow, that's....

Old 09-04-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why are you so worried about the criminals? If they paid their time and paid the monetary penalties in full they can try to build up their credibility and have to proof over time if they learned their lesson.

I worry about MY family; that's why. I worry about the effect it has on my husband, who after decades, is still being punished. After he has served this country, took a bullet and received a Purple Heart; was granted all his civil rights restored, his ability to carry firearms, has 1 semester to go to obtain his BA in English Lit,not to mention, has had she same job since he was Honorably Discharged, and is still treated like crap for something he did at age 17!

How much more does he have to pay? Tell me that, please. That's all I want to know, how much more does he, and we as a family have to pay?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaahumanu View Post
The military won't take you if you are a convicted felon.
Not true.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,610 times
well, well , well, i have read several pages of these posts concerning felons and i am aaamazed at the attitude of those that support life long penalty for felons. I am quite sure that those that feel this way are mostly white Americans, surburbanites or people that have assimilated to the moral system of the dominate group. Any intelligent person can ask questions of a felon and figure out if it is worth giving this person a chance which is really their right as far as our constitution. And the consequence for a crime is not to be forever and whoever does so is injustice and wrong which is why NYC has laws preventing such discrimination and violators end up paying fines (and settlements to the discriminated like me 15k thanks and 40k in fines).

But let me say this! i am not going to go through all that pleading and begging to those i consider wicked and immoral. If you want to keep me disenfranchised i will become a smarter and more educated criminal (never hurting anyone just going around the rules) like the politicians. I will not accept being reduced to small time jobs i need to make 80k and more, I need room service when i travel so i will not leave that up to you moral extremist. So if i have to use another name and social to get employed it is because you were extreme so now i must be, so that things are balanced.

Most people living in reality and not T.V. land know that blacks are targeted for arrest and that they rarely get a jury of their peers and also that the political correction for the effects of slavery have never been set up and executed to correct the nations wrong. In addition, if i had no record i still would have less chance getting employed just because i'm black (hopefully you guys know that it is not 100% equal chances). So these things have to intelligently be factored in when discussing continued discrimination. I continue to attend grad school for an MBA and know that the higher you go the less the felony matters because the higher up you find more crooks. It is just the managers and workers below that have this moral programming. America is a crooked criminal nation building its wealth on colonizing everyone. So to sit and say you did the crime so pay forever is very revealing as to what kind of humanoid you are and what programming and lack of in depth thinking ability you possess. However we must deal with the cards were dealt. So i married up financially and can live anywhere since my wife has good credit and no record, thank god that the women love a bad boy so to speak and not a boring do gooder with no swag! Nuff said. Enjoy your life because i'm headed to Paris and will certainly enjoy mine. Peace

Old 11-04-2011, 10:45 AM

1,454 posts, read 3,368,846 times
^Well, well, well, that sure changed my mind.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,576 times
This was very informing. I don't have any felonies. I have 2 misdemeanors. One in 1999 and one in 2004. I didn't spend any time in jail except for the time it arresting me and going to court. Then released with 3yrs informal probation. I never even saw a probation officer. They just told me to obey all laws good bye. The 2nd offense never got arrested. Just given a citation to appear in court and i did and I was given a misdemeanor, put on 3 yrs informal probation. Again no probation officer to meet. Just told to obey all laws along with 15 days work project. Now I couldnt have commited a serious crime if these are my sentences. But when ever I apply for jobs I'm denied employment because they say I have a violent background. I get turned down for property rentals for the same reason. I'm nothing like the person they say i am. I have 2 daughters that mean the world to me.and the last thing I want to do is leave them. So going to jail is not on my agenda. But I do need to provide a stable place for them as well as myself. It's just depressing that people who just made a couple stupid mistakes and haven't committed another criminal act can't find places to live. Which leads me to believe its probably a major factor in the rate of homeless individuals living on the street. So what are people like me supposed to do to survive? I have gone to school and become a pharmacy technician registered in Calif. I work in a pharmacy filling rx's all day. I have been there 5yrs. I have the income but I'm forced to stay at my sisters with my oldest daughter. And continue to pay storage fees cause i have nowhere to live

Old 11-09-2011, 03:13 AM

1,454 posts, read 3,368,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Sexy View Post
This was very informing. I don't have any felonies. I have 2 misdemeanors. One in 1999 and one in 2004. I didn't spend any time in jail except for the time it arresting me and going to court. Then released with 3yrs informal probation. I never even saw a probation officer. They just told me to obey all laws good bye. The 2nd offense never got arrested. Just given a citation to appear in court and i did and I was given a misdemeanor, put on 3 yrs informal probation. Again no probation officer to meet. Just told to obey all laws along with 15 days work project. Now I couldnt have commited a serious crime if these are my sentences. But when ever I apply for jobs I'm denied employment because they say I have a violent background. I get turned down for property rentals for the same reason. I'm nothing like the person they say i am. I have 2 daughters that mean the world to me.and the last thing I want to do is leave them. So going to jail is not on my agenda. But I do need to provide a stable place for them as well as myself. It's just depressing that people who just made a couple stupid mistakes and haven't committed another criminal act can't find places to live. Which leads me to believe its probably a major factor in the rate of homeless individuals living on the street. So what are people like me supposed to do to survive? I have gone to school and become a pharmacy technician registered in Calif. I work in a pharmacy filling rx's all day. I have been there 5yrs. I have the income but I'm forced to stay at my sisters with my oldest daughter. And continue to pay storage fees cause i have nowhere to live
I'd say you are doing pretty much exactly what people like you are supposed to do to survive, assuming you're putting money in the bank. If you can show a landlord that you've been at the same job for five years and have a significant amount of money in savings I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find someone to rent to you. Maybe offer to pay the first three months in advance, and that you'll stay three months ahead with your rent. And then do it. Basically, convince them that you're not a financial risk and you may have a better chance that they'll overlook a couple misdemeanors from years back-- depending on what those misdemeanors were for of course. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,491 times
Upon reading these posts and realizing how much this poor, young lady was getting bashed was amazing. I understand the fears that one has for not trusting a felon especially a seriously convicted one. Did not God state in the Bible to forgive and help? Did he not state - for whoever did not help those in need, did not help him will not meet his maker? ( or somewhere along those lines). I have family who also works in the prison facility and I also know what goes on there. I have family who work in the law enforcement & lawyer departments areas and they too inform us as to what the aspects of felons are and laws are; but NEVER are they as rutheless and hearteless as you all are! There is still compassion and some semblence of "I will help" - yes depending on the case. Come on people - put yourself on their shoes! If they were / If you were really doing your utmost best to straighten your life up for the wrong that you have done, knowing you have done it and your crime was not that bad or you were wrongfully accused. Why not give that person a second chance as God would. God did it for you! He died on the cross for you!!! For all of us!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting