Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times

Advertisements

seriously.. u people are insane... quick to judge without knowing anything. Maybe there felony was somethin when they were young and niaeve(spelling) but how do u honestly know if they have changed. And to punish there familys.. Lookk at the big picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissapur View Post
seriously.. u people are insane... quick to judge without knowing anything. Maybe there felony was somethin when they were young and niaeve(spelling) but how do u honestly know if they have changed. And to punish there familys.. Lookk at the big picture.
Regarding the bolded portion: the problem facing landlords is.... they don't know.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
I do generally find that when one ask for "higher rent" in a nicer / desirable area, the more likely to get a more job oriented career family and the more job oriented family, the less likely the "serious" criminal record (since they check via jobs) & more timely payments due to their jobs & less likely for problems.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,731 times
Being the girlfriend of a felon, I deffinetly feel as if it's unfair. Combined, both our incomes, we're able to live In a house. Yet we live in a month to month old motel with bad water and infested with roaches. I have a clean background and we both don't do anything illegal at all. Now I'm stuck looking for nice places by myself hoping that with my income alone the place will accept me and I can have him move in once I'm approved. We're normal people, yeah he did some stupid things as a kid (19) but now he's almost 30 and he's a normal person just trying to live a normal life. So no, it's not fair.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I think a "kid" is ages 12-15 maybe. At 19, he was NOT a kid.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
I haven't read any of the comments following the initial post. Based on what you wrote, I would say everything is situational ... What they were arrested for, how much time they did, how old they were at the time, if they're still on parole ... I'm a strong believer in everyone deserves a 2nd chance, and people can change if they want to change. However, it's not easy ...

Three things that would leave me at, "NEVER": 1) child sex offender, 2) sexual assaults, 3) Animal and/or Domestic Abuse ... NEXT !!! All three of those speak volumes about the type of person they were ... and still may be ... Additionally, as much as I wouldn't want to have my own personal judgement involved, I'm passionate about all three of those: FRY THEM !

Everything else, I would need to know more background- Drugs, it would depend on how long ago, and what type of therapy and treatment they received. Also, how long they have been at their current job - a job hopper is a sign of trouble.

Just like on a job application, they want to know more- if you have something in your past and you've changed, you'd be proud and want to make sure potential employers/landlords were aware.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:35 AM

113 posts, read 895,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmama View Post
I am doing a paper on renting apartments to people who has a criminal record. I am doing a poll on do you think its right to discriminate those who has done their time. Their working hard everyday on a job but can't get an apartment beccause they have a felony record. Please give me your opinion on this topic.
I'm not sure what kind of paper you're writing, but be sure to be honest about where you got the data - make sure you include that it's a convenience sample, and therefore does not reflect the views of the general population. Many news articles include people's opinions, because they don't present them as facts.

Anyways, I would object to having any person with a criminal background living in my apartments. These people already proved that they have behavioral issues, and it's a high risk letting them rent and just crossing our fingers and hoping for the best. I know that just because someone has a clean record doesn't mean they won't commit a crime, but it's a much lower risk.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinoRepublic View Post
I'm not sure what kind of paper you're writing, but be sure to be honest about where you got the data - make sure you include that it's a convenience sample, and therefore does not reflect the views of the general population. Many news articles include people's opinions, because they don't present them as facts.
I hope sweetmama already turned in her paper. The OP is four years old today.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
As one who has had to live around these 'experimental' ex-felon, ex-criminal tenant types...I see it totally different...

For when these mentally duranged induvisuals flip out at 2 am in the morning do to flash backs or alcoholism or drug use...the landlord doesn't have to face the repracusions...the landlord is safe at home in bed...

Where as in a shared living space type rental home, I'm right there when the 'nut' is knocking on your door at 2 am in the morning having some kind of episode...maybe yeilding a knife...

Or when the criminal gets out of prison...and others on the streets still have a score to settle with them, and bring all that trouble your way....

It's totally not fair to make regular, behaved, non criminal types live around explosive, unpredictable ex cons....

Have all or none...but don't mix....

When I was in school, I lived around such types, while renting...

They regularly decieve the landlords...and if you knew the things they did, while landlord was away...you'd maybe change your mind about renting to such types...

I saw it first hand...but you're forced to ignore it, or act like it doesn't bother you, cause if you squeel...they'll tear you to shreds...

Old 04-06-2012, 08:09 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
It's easy to have 'sympothy' and or be 'objective' to criminals or ex-cons...that is until your actually living right next door to them...or worse yet, right down the hall....

Ex Cons have very poor, resolution skills...

'Hey, could you please turn your stereo down?'...

Ex Felon 'Get lost before I pound your head in boy'...

Yes...that has happened to me before...and was forced to move after unstable ex con made a threat to me...after landlord decided to kick him out...

Now like some mentioned earlier...there are different types of crimes...

A computor hacker for instance, I doubt would pose the same threat as a former ax killer...

Your typical white collar criminal isn't going to pose the same physical threat as an assault and battery type of offender...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting