U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 10:12 PM

11 posts, read 18,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
^Yep. One step away. Of course, that step is committing, being arrested for, and getting convicted of a crime. Hmm... guess that's three steps.

Seriously though, as has been said a million times before ... that's all well and good, but none of it is really my problem. I'm not trying to fix society or our justice system or decide guilt or innocence or severity of crimes convicted of or how many crimes convicted of and all that. I'm just trying to find someone to rent my house to who is likely to pay rent on time every month and not wreck the house. Why on earth would I pick someone with a criminal record if there is a better candidate available? For the sake of justice and fairness? To redefine society? Are you kidding me? There may be some bigger problems out there, but I don't see it as a landlord's job to fix them.
I understand that are not trying to fix the problem but you should gave people a second chance and that even go for sex offenders my friend pay his rent a lot time 3 month ahead time and he a good guy and he been on the list for 17yrs and he got 8 yrs on list to go yet and we are trying to rent a place and it hard for us to find anything at all. Oh you get caught going to the bath outside you end up on the sex offenders list to so it real easy now to get on that list now days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Feel free to rent to them, I don't! I have done it and will never do it again. Having to go after your own money suchs! But feel free to be the good samartitan, and i will rent to the many others out there who have done the right thing and also need a place to rent.
I do agree that they shouldn't have to pay for they crime for the rest of they life unless they haven't learn from the first crime which the person that murder my friend didn't learn from his crime after 22yrs so he still siting in jail where he belong

Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontlineskeptic View Post
Convicted felons are not a protected class of citizen.

There are those who would argue discrimination against convicted felons. There are those who would argue that renters and property managers have the right to refuse housing to criminals. Who's right? It's all subjective. When it comes down to unadulterated, law abiding citizens, we are all criminals. Some of us have not got caught, those of us who have deal with the consequences. I am a convicted felon, grand theft in the third degree. I will not dispute that my actions that led to this conviction were at the time..... less than savvy. This was six years ago and now I can't lease a decent apartment because of this conviction. This leads to breaking further laws such as falsifying documents and illegal subleasing. If you are not completely naive you can easily see that categorizing citizens as felons is an easy way to strip their rights away. I was convicted, served my time and learned my lesson, but I guess you really never serve your time completly. The funny thing is that the same people who "invent" and enforce these laws are the same people that are part of the global socio-economic machine that enslaves and exploits people, promotes mass genocide, and protect a system that keeps the working poor in comparitve poverty. It's all good though, soon they'll come out with the Iphone 5 or some other gadget that we can all obsess over and happily trade hours of menial and repetative labor to purchase a hot commodity for $500 that was made in an over-seas sweat shop for less than a dollar. All of these beautiful and expensive toys were put here by Jesus Christ to help us forget how much of a slave we are to the corporate agenda. God bless the good ol' U.S. of A.
I agree you

Old 06-16-2012, 10:55 PM

Default renting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I will not lease to an individual with a record as a sex offender. I will consider leasing to someone with a felony record. One of my current tenants has a record and told me about it when he completed his application. He is employed and has a strong rental history with no evictions. So far, he has done nothing to make me regret leasing to him.
Why not rent to a sex offender they can be just as good as a ex con. In fact they may be better then a ex con some sex offender do change not all of do I will tell you this much person I know he has to server 25yrs and he been on the list for 17 yrs and he has not done another crime since so don't tell me they can't change I know him for 4 yrs and because of this he we get apartment because people like you won't gave them a chance at all and by the way don't get caught going to the bathroom outside or you will end up on the list that how easy it is now to get on that list now days ps the bad thing they could be sitting next to you and wouldn't know it

Old 06-16-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My opinion is that society gave them a chance to play by the rules but they decided otherwise.

Not going to be the second chump who trusted these dirtbags.
I agree as long as they follow the rules and do what they suppose and that go for everyone even sex offenders

Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 PM

11,252 posts, read 5,881,716 times
I rented to someone with a criminal history but I didn't know it at the time. He was married with a couple of kids and had his own business. It was still a huge mistake and he left a couple of months into his lease. In this case a leopard doesn't change his spots. I would never rent to someone with a criminal back ground ever again.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes91 View Post
Being the girlfriend of a felon, I deffinetly feel as if it's unfair. Combined, both our incomes, we're able to live In a house. Yet we live in a month to month old motel with bad water and infested with roaches. I have a clean background and we both don't do anything illegal at all. Now I'm stuck looking for nice places by myself hoping that with my income alone the place will accept me and I can have him move in once I'm approved. We're normal people, yeah he did some stupid things as a kid (19) but now he's almost 30 and he's a normal person just trying to live a normal life. So no, it's not fair.
I agree with you Me and friend are trying to find a place right now and he a sex offenders he made a big mistake 17yrs ago and he has 8 more yrs to go on the list so we are trying to find a apartment or a house which I'm trying to figure out if I can get one on my own and bring him in later because no one will accept him which sucks

Old 06-17-2012, 09:45 AM

9,540 posts, read 6,740,654 times
The truth of the matter is, we live in a world where actions have consequences and having a difficult life is a consequence of being a convicted felon.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:23 AM

221 posts, read 540,815 times
I know this is old but what about errors in criminal records. I have no criminal record but have a very common name and same name (first/last) and DOB as a felon. I can prove I lived over 2000 miles away and never lived in the state he was in. I found out about this in an apartment background check. Lucky for me the manager had a brain and figured out it wasnt me. A quick fax of my drivers license to the company cleared me that time. Its not error or identity theft its what is known as an "identity twin" Do most of you landlords allow for commone sense and allow people to clear themselves in cases of errors or just deny. I fear common sense may be dead in the future. I am going to start carrying my fingerprint based FBI check with me. I have never had as much as a speeding ticket but I am cursed with a common name. What do you landlords do out there if something comes up, may look funny (as in credit check says they lived in Oregon/WA but a felony charge from Indiana pops up from the same time) Applicant states that not me and can prove they did not live the the state where the charge is. I am trying to get all these data brokers to clear things up but its not a matter of deletion. I am actually trying to get them to add this felons middle name so its easy to tell it isnt me. I am sending my prints off to the FBI. I hope this helps. It hasnt really hurt me yet but I worry.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 AM

5,647 posts, read 9,177,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
I know this is old but what about errors in criminal records. I have no criminal record but have a very common name and same name (first/last) and DOB as a felon. I can prove I lived over 2000 miles away and never lived in the state he was in. I found out about this in an apartment background check. Lucky for me the manager had a brain and figured out it wasnt me. A quick fax of my drivers license to the company cleared me that time. Its not error or identity theft its what is known as an "identity twin" Do most of you landlords allow for commone sense and allow people to clear themselves in cases of errors or just deny. I fear common sense may be dead in the future. I am going to start carrying my fingerprint based FBI check with me. I have never had as much as a speeding ticket but I am cursed with a common name. What do you landlords do out there if something comes up, may look funny (as in credit check says they lived in Oregon/WA but a felony charge from Indiana pops up from the same time) Applicant states that not me and can prove they did not live the the state where the charge is. I am trying to get all these data brokers to clear things up but its not a matter of deletion. I am actually trying to get them to add this felons middle name so its easy to tell it isnt me. I am sending my prints off to the FBI. I hope this helps. It hasnt really hurt me yet but I worry.
I had a similar thing happen during a pre-employment screening, my name popped as a "possible" match with someone who is currently in prison. The data broker was Mis-using the state database. It took a couple of weeks to straighten out. Fwiw, most of the databases used don't have a social-security number attached, so similar-names will always pop as a "possible" match. If you are denied in the future because of this, I would ask very pointedly what the report said about you & ask for a copy if possible. Communicating false statements about a person (you) in writing, and being denied housing or a job because of those statements gives you a legal opportunity to sue for defamation (libel).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting