U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 05:21 PM

18,897 posts, read 49,774,944 times

Advertisements

NO-fly lists have the same problem. I applaud your efforts to clear this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 01:46 PM

221 posts, read 549,290 times
Thanks. I am curious though especially these landlords that are really harsh. If you ran a check on me and found something tha looked out of place and I provided you a mountain of documentation that proved I lived and had a job in a state over 2000 miles away at the time along with my clean FBI check would you care or just take the word of a shoddy data broker and sentence me for the crimes of another. Otherwise, I have had some credit issues but PERFECT rental history and good solid job history going all the way back to the late 90s. My apt manager had the sense to see this didnt look right and ask me about it. Would most of you just take the screening company word or even listen to my explanation. Its hard to prove you are not someone but I actually can. Its even harder to get a data broker to add data to a technically correct entry (he does have the same first/last and DOB) so its not an error. Its not identity theft. My name is not quite John Smith common but almost. I am starting to feel for felons after reading this but I am not a felon. Are more landlords like my current apt manager (in a complex) or do they take the word of Joe Blow background check without allowing for common sense and explanation. Its painfully obvious to anyone who takes the time to know I am not the felon but computers have no common sense. I am trying to clear it up but it may not be possible to get all the hundreds of private data brokers to update their files. I likely will tell any future landlords up front that they will find this guy possibly and offer any documentation they might need (including my clean fingerprint based FBI check).

Old 07-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Fortunately my evil twin is not on a no fly list. Just showed up on a cheap name based (no SSN) criminal check.
What I really think we need is to have a central repository for criminal records and laws in place to guarantee their accuracy and a unique identifier. Name and DOB is not adequate. SSN maybe. Fingerprints best. If landlords are really paranoid they should run fingerprint based checks on everyone. I would pay for that if given the chance. This for profit data brokering business is ruining peoples lives. I am not alone and have been fortunate. Some have lost jobs over it and even been arrested for the crimes of another. No fly lists are the same way. What happened to innocent until proven guilty or even the chance to prove innocence.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:24 PM

23,896 posts, read 51,403,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
I am curious though especially these landlords that are really harsh.
So... nearly 300 posts later has anything been resolved by this thread?
Perhaps a universally applicable method to determine the good risks from the bad risks?

Some process that these "harsh landlords" can consistently apply without risk of discrimination
charges or lawsuits from other tenants for the actions of the bad that got through the checks?

Old 07-14-2012, 04:27 PM

Lets go for post 301. Still no answer to whether common sense supersedes process or use the data whether its correct or not. I almost think that disqualifying someone a place to live due to a misreported or misused criminal record might well be discrimination. Being a white male I am sure I could not prove it and quite honestly as much as people dont want to say it is probably why I havent had real trouble at least partly. I bet if a black woman with an identity twin were to get denied despite being able to prove it was not her, a lawsuit would be in order. Point being, profiling is alive and well (regardless of what people say) and if you are not in a protected class you are screwed if someone wants to deny you anything. I still wonder about the common sense factor and what these strict landlords would do in my case being I am NOT a felon. They commented a lot earlier, where are they now?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:55 PM

1,454 posts, read 3,396,018 times
Quote:
Lets go for post 301. Still no answer to whether common sense supersedes process or use the data whether its correct or not. I almost think that disqualifying someone a place to live due to a misreported or misused criminal record might well be discrimination. Being a white male I am sure I could not prove it and quite honestly as much as people dont want to say it is probably why I havent had real trouble at least partly. I bet if a black woman with an identity twin were to get denied despite being able to prove it was not her, a lawsuit would be in order. Point being, profiling is alive and well (regardless of what people say) and if you are not in a protected class you are screwed if someone wants to deny you anything. I still wonder about the common sense factor and what these strict landlords would do in my case being I am NOT a felon. They commented a lot earlier, where are they now?
Am I one of the "strict" landlords? I'll comment.

My position is that as long as I have another renter who isn't a felon I wouldn't rent to a felon. Simply put, I'm renting to the least risky candidate out there. Period. So, would I rent to you? Not if I had someone else who didn't need to present a mountain of documentation to convince me they weren't a criminal, and was equal to you in all other aspects. If everyone else sucked and I was convinced by your mountain, maybe. But my guess is that if someone had a long song and dance like yours I would probably keep looking.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,022,145 times
Quote:
I'm not a landlord, but I did work in Federal law enforcement for 25+ years. I would definitely tell people upfront about the "evil twin" with an offer to provide whatever documentation you have if necessary. That might reduce the chances of being summarily disqualified. Just a statement such as, "I've had past experiences where a background check mistakes me for a felon with my same name and DOB. I have documentation I can provide to prove that individual is not me." Can't hurt. Might help.

Good luck.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 PM

So you want the path of least resistance. How about in complexes when there are many openings? I am not sure of the legality of denying someone based on someone elses criminal record and for absolutely no fault of their own. If that is the prevailing attitude then there really needs to be something done about the background checking industry and those companies need to be sued for slander

Old 07-14-2012, 10:27 PM

Timm you must be in a place where there is great competition for rentals as it sounds more like hiring a job candidate and who you rent to is who wins the contest not who is qualified. Most complexes I have seen have many openings and are desperate for people. I am not sure where to start but I really would like to do whatever I can to change the industry (not landlording but background checking). Its the wild west out there and no incentive for them to even care of what they report is correct. The horror stories abound. I have never been denied anything but the fact this could even happen is absurd. A name and date of birth is not a unique identifier. Court records and reporting need to be standardized. Something like credit reporting. Though woefully full of errors at least there is a mechanism to fix them

Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 PM

When policy supersedes common sense we are all screwed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting