U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,783 times

Advertisements

I disagree with this person, a criminal is a criminal? How Ignorant of this person to say its they tend to be criminals. First of all it should depend on the crime. I know a person who is labeled a felon for calling in her own RX..she worked for this doctor but he was on vacation out of the country. When they called to confirm and was told the doctor was out of the country she told them the truth that it was her. Well, this is a CRIME unknown to her. One night in jail because of paper work and one year probation and now a felon charge. Is this a CRIMINAL? I think not. I think it should depend on the crime. Besides, there are many so called Felons who have it expunged or sealed..so..that means they are still felons who did a crime, but now its hidden. So, its now OK for them to live in your neighborhood right? No, not common sense...Ignorance. Its people who write this negative comments that make me loose faith in people. If the person did their time and years have passed with no other issues...come on ...serious. Sorry had to put my thoughts here. I am just amazed at people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 12:02 PM

221 posts, read 540,994 times
Or in some cases people who are not even criminals. I get the feeling that some would tell me to go away without even giving me opportunity to fix the mistaken identity like TImm said he would. Because of the lack of common sense I am terrified I will either have to stay where I am forever or be homeless because despite not being a criminal, landlords just dont wanna deal with the hassle of allowing me to prove I am not. Now if this industry standard is really staying the same thats fine but if every day people are becomming more nitpicky and unwilling to THINK, I eventually wont be able to get a place to live. The innocent are hurt here. If even one non criminal suffers for the crimes of another, that is injustice. In my case with my current apartment it was quick and easy but this attitude that prevails scares me. I am losing all motivation due to it. If I am never going to be able to move because of someone elses criminal past, whats the point of even trying to better my life. Unlike many, I dont have tens of thousands of dollars laying around or any aspiration of buying a house nor would I do so just because of this. I am getting the feeling from this forum that many landlords are just a holes who only care what looks right on paper and not really about getting good tenants. I am the model tenant. to me paying rent on the first is late. I typically pay it the last week of the month before its due. I never complain even when I should. Though I have yet to see a competitive rental environment where it is more like getting a job than renting a motel room, I really would not want to rent from a landlord that was not willing to take the extra few hours to let me prove myself clear and would rather rely on "what the computer says". As some have said there are felons who pass checks. If someone were to turn me down when I am not a felon just cause I have a common, I hope they get a felon who is from a state that does not report their crimes and I hope that felon turns their home into a meth lab. I see two things. 1) People no longer trust their own ability to judge character and 2) People have too much faith in so called professionals. I think its partly that they want to blame someone other than themselves.

The background check industry needs to be fixed. It is ruining peoples lives. I am not talking about actual criminals. I am talking about people like me who have errors or common names. If I ever become a landlord I will use common sense. I wouldnt even bother criminal checking anyone with this shoddy system. I would do a fingerprint based check or none.

We live in a country of innocent until proven guilty. That idea extends to it is better to let a felon or two slip through than to punish non felons for the acts of felons.

Whatever happened to looking at the whole picture?

If I was rich I would take on the background checking industry as a personal crusade and not stop until

1) It is centralized
2) It has a unique identifier
3) It has due process for getting errors corrected
4) Some will hate this but it has an end time.

As messed up as the credit bureaus are, I think even that model would be a step in the right direction.

The innocent must be protected even if it means a few guilty go unpunished. Thats how our justice system works. Guilty people get acquitted all the time because there is reasonable doubt. However in the private world, its if there is any possibility they could be guilty then off with their head.

Now as far as if I were a landlord would I rent to felons, It would depend. I would look at the whole picture. I might deny for non felonies. I likely would not rent to anyone with any history of domestic violence. The rent references would weigh heavily. I might look at credit but I would not care so much about it. I would rely on COMMON SENSE.

I also think we have gone too far. We are creating a subculture of felons and that leads to recividism.

Personally as a non felon I think I should have the right to not have live in felony flats just because landlords want to be a holes.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 PM

1,454 posts, read 3,369,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
Or in some cases people who are not even criminals. I get the feeling that some would tell me to go away without even giving me opportunity to fix the mistaken identity like TImm said he would. Because of the lack of common sense I am terrified I will either have to stay where I am forever or be homeless because despite not being a criminal, landlords just dont wanna deal with the hassle of allowing me to prove I am not. Now if this industry standard is really staying the same thats fine but if every day people are becomming more nitpicky and unwilling to THINK, I eventually wont be able to get a place to live. The innocent are hurt here. If even one non criminal suffers for the crimes of another, that is injustice. In my case with my current apartment it was quick and easy but this attitude that prevails scares me. I am losing all motivation due to it. If I am never going to be able to move because of someone elses criminal past, whats the point of even trying to better my life. Unlike many, I dont have tens of thousands of dollars laying around or any aspiration of buying a house nor would I do so just because of this. I am getting the feeling from this forum that many landlords are just a holes who only care what looks right on paper and not really about getting good tenants. I am the model tenant. to me paying rent on the first is late. I typically pay it the last week of the month before its due. I never complain even when I should. Though I have yet to see a competitive rental environment where it is more like getting a job than renting a motel room, I really would not want to rent from a landlord that was not willing to take the extra few hours to let me prove myself clear and would rather rely on "what the computer says". As some have said there are felons who pass checks. If someone were to turn me down when I am not a felon just cause I have a common, I hope they get a felon who is from a state that does not report their crimes and I hope that felon turns their home into a meth lab. I see two things. 1) People no longer trust their own ability to judge character and 2) People have too much faith in so called professionals. I think its partly that they want to blame someone other than themselves.

The background check industry needs to be fixed. It is ruining peoples lives. I am not talking about actual criminals. I am talking about people like me who have errors or common names. If I ever become a landlord I will use common sense. I wouldnt even bother criminal checking anyone with this shoddy system. I would do a fingerprint based check or none.

We live in a country of innocent until proven guilty. That idea extends to it is better to let a felon or two slip through than to punish non felons for the acts of felons.

Whatever happened to looking at the whole picture?

If I was rich I would take on the background checking industry as a personal crusade and not stop until

1) It is centralized
2) It has a unique identifier
3) It has due process for getting errors corrected
4) Some will hate this but it has an end time.

As messed up as the credit bureaus are, I think even that model would be a step in the right direction.

The innocent must be protected even if it means a few guilty go unpunished. Thats how our justice system works. Guilty people get acquitted all the time because there is reasonable doubt. However in the private world, its if there is any possibility they could be guilty then off with their head.

Now as far as if I were a landlord would I rent to felons, It would depend. I would look at the whole picture. I might deny for non felonies. I likely would not rent to anyone with any history of domestic violence. The rent references would weigh heavily. I might look at credit but I would not care so much about it. I would rely on COMMON SENSE.

I also think we have gone too far. We are creating a subculture of felons and that leads to recividism.

Personally as a non felon I think I should have the right to not have live in felony flats just because landlords want to be a holes.
Wow.

All I'm saying is that if two renters are equal in every way, but one of them has to present the song and dance and mountain of documentation to prove that they're not a criminal I'm going with the one who passes the background check. If that doesn't sound like common sense -- excuse me, COMMON SENSE -- to you, then we simply have different ideas of what constitutes common sense.

If you think the background check industry needs to be fixed, super. Fix it. But right now they're the best tools available to see if someone has a criminal history. If landlords rely on them it doesn't mean they want to be [insert juvenile profanity abbreviation here]. If you want to become a landlord and rely on your spidey-sense instead of background checks, have at it. I'll go ahead and continue to think that in the vast majority of cases when a criminal record shows up in a background check it's because the person is indeed a criminal. Does that suck for you? Sure. But it sounds like you're doing okay handling it - at least when you're not taking it personally and getting all butthurt. So you have to go to a little extra work to convince landlords that you're not a criminal -- put on your big boy pants and deal with it. There are worse lots in life.

But for every one of you that is getting crapped on by the current system, there are countless actual criminals with a similar-sounding song and dance about how it wasn't really them and their brother-in-law stole their identity and no no I'm an angel and look here I have papers that couldn't possibly be forged and blah blah blah I'll be perrrrrfect. That's the big picture I'm looking at. I'm not gonna be the guy who sorts it out.

Good luck though. I wish you success in getting background info to be more accurate.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 PM

Thats precisely why I am trying to sort it out. I am just angry that there is no clear cut process for sorting such things out. Timm, you sound sympathetic and unwavering at the same time. I see your point to some extent. though I am not sure how forgable an FBI background check is and thats what I plan to carry around with and show to prospective landlords and employers.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:03 PM

I do think if the credit report and employment history says one thing and the criminal says another one should be given opportunity to clear it up. I refuse to live my life as if I were a criminal based on someone elses record. If all are that unwilling to use what I call common sense and only do what the computer says then my life is ruined and its no fault of my own. Being stuck where I am forever might well be a fate worse than death

Old 07-17-2012, 01:05 PM

And any actual criminals are totally screwed and should just give up

Old 07-18-2012, 10:31 AM

though secure at the moment I am really starting have major anxiety of this. I feel like I am guilty until proven innocent and that most might not even let me prove my innocence. I dont want to be homeless or have to live around real dangerous criminals just cause I have a common name. Or worse what if I cant get a job. I am trying to clear this up but expect to lose because I have lost all faith in the system as well as all faith in anyone being willing to even let me clear myself. Its the computer says and you are screwed. I was considering getting a degree and pursuing my dreams but because of this mistaken identity issue whats the point. I might as well be a criminal. My currnet situation is alright and they did let me (but my apartment manager was a somewhat of a rebel). If I have to live on the fringes as a criminal even though I am not there is no point in bettering myself. There is no point in trying. This is it and if I lose my job for any reason or want to move out of this God awful city, I may well never be able to get another job or place to live again. Just because people inisist on using shoddy info. Its guilty until proven innocent and then even guilty. this hasnt happened yet but my life is starting to suffer. I cannot sleep because of the anxiety. I think my wife should leave me for her own good. If this is what following the rules and doig the right thing gets you then we are all screwed. I guess my best days are behind me., It was nice while it lasted. If I was a criminal it would be one thing but I am not. Based on Timms response and the silence of others I am too assume that no matter what I do I will never get a place to live anywhere ever again unless I luck out and find another rebel manager who give me a chance to prove this is not me. My plan was to change careers, get a degree and become a teacher. whats the point now. Unless teaching jobs do fingerprint based background checks and can clear me, I might as well be Ted freaking Bundy

Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM

People say I am overreacting but what if I am not. Thank God I dont have kids because with a future like this they are better off not having been born

Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 AM

I just want to move to a nice small town. Have a low stress life. Maybe raise a family. Get into teaching at the high school or comm college level and be a good law abiding citizen. Maybe buy a house someday or not.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Since foreign countries use the FBI database and fingerprint checks maybe if I can find another country to go to that might be the only way to survive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting