Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,613,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
I just want to move to a nice small town. Have a low stress life. Maybe raise a family. Get into teaching at the high school or comm college level and be a good law abiding citizen. Maybe buy a house someday or not.

I am sorry you are going thru this and, as a LL, I would review your information and would definitely consider all your facts. Of course you do understand that I invest my hard earned money and my efforts into being a landlord because it is a business for me and I still, in the end, need to make decisions that minimize my risk. That said, I and so many of my counterparts, make sincere efforts to be ethical and empathetic in tenant selection. Your situation is very challenging and I am sure hoping it comes to a suitable conclusion soon. I don't know how one combats false identity issues, and hope I never have first hand knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM

303 posts, read 817,943 times
Squirl as long as there are landlords like you out there, there is hope cause its easy to prove its not me. My credit report makes it obvious along with other documentation that the felon is not me and is far far away in another state. My current apartment made it seem as though they were breaking the rules by giving me the chance to prove it was not me. An hour later the company said I was clear. I do understand it is a big investment. I too hope you never experience this. if what you say is true I am likely to be able to find a place to live and a landlord that will take facts into consideration, Maybe I wont give up

Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,667,182 times
I had an applicant with both bad credit and a criminal record apply for a vacancy I had.
He was very upfront about his history and had spent the last two years saving every penny he could and offered pay a double deposit, last two months and first two months at move-in. He also agreed to pay two months at a time rather than one. He also agreed that if there were any problems with the police or unwanted guests or problems with other tenants he would leave with 30 days notice. He has been here 6 years and if he ever moves he will get the best letter of recommendation I can write.

He took full responsibility for his history and removed all risk on my side of the deal. The day we signed a lease I had six months worth of rent in my account. After three years and also 5 years with the same employer, I refunded his last two months and half of the double deposits so he was on the same terms as other tenants. He didn't ask for this but one day at a social function I met his boss and he went on and on how he was one of the best employees he ever had.

I am sure not all stories turn out this good, but if you have credit/criminal problems it is up to you to convince an employer or landlord to take a chance with you.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:01 PM

See that is it. I guess landlords do indeed work with people instead of just rejecting outright based on a database. The reason it bugs me so much is I am not a criminal. I just was worried people wouldnt give me the chance to prove I am not. My rental history is as solid as it comes. Credit has had some bumps but is not horrible and been pretty good the last 3 years. So is it best to tell prospective landlords that they are likely to find this guy and offer the proof ahead of time or wait until they find it and hope they return my calls? It really just takes a willingness to dig a little deeper to clear me. What I would hope is that landlords would rent to me even though they wouldnt rent to a criminal. As I am not a criminal

Old 07-18-2012, 03:14 PM

One thing I hear is nobody is going to believe I am not a criminal no matter how much proof I have if the check says I am and everything else confirms I am not. I would hope that it would not take someone who is willing to rent to an actual criminal to be willing to work with me and allow me to prove I am not. I do get the feeling telling people up front about this other guy is a good idea vs waiting.

That is why the industry needs changing. I might be able to survive as the exception but being blacklisted by the actions of another is not right. I dont want to live around criminals anymore than most of you want to rent to them,

Is mistaken identity when you can prove its mistaken really a criminal problem? It should not be.

If one were to believe the criminal record of my twin it would prove my entire credit, rental, and employment history to be a lie as I would have been in prison in Indiana during that time. The question I guess is which check would one believe.

I am trying as hard as I can to deal with these issues before they become problems. I guess its not hopeless but I do fear I doomed to living on the fringes and having to always be the exception to policy and having seriously limited options (working for small companies and renting from people who would rent to criminals.) Its not the end of the world but it looks pretty dark. Unless I can get into an industry that has mandated REAL background checks. The only kind that are real are the kind that have fingerprints. FYI - I would be willing to pay for a landlord to run one of them on me any day. No criminal would do that as they would fail because they are criminals.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM

Ironically working for the FBI or getting a job that requires a security clearance might end up being where i have to go. I am not against background checks. Just shoddy ones that use names and dates of birth and no unique identifiers. Fingerprint me any day. As draconian as national ID is I almost think its a good idea now.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:19 PM

Thanks to all who are treating me with respect though. You have convinced me not to give up

Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM

I really would hope not to have to pay double deposit when I dont have a criminal history and can prove it.
Though its good to know that there are landlords who do have common sense and think for themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I had an applicant with both bad credit and a criminal record apply for a vacancy I had.
He was very upfront about his history and had spent the last two years saving every penny he could and offered pay a double deposit, last two months and first two months at move-in. He also agreed to pay two months at a time rather than one. He also agreed that if there were any problems with the police or unwanted guests or problems with other tenants he would leave with 30 days notice. He has been here 6 years and if he ever moves he will get the best letter of recommendation I can write.

He took full responsibility for his history and removed all risk on my side of the deal. The day we signed a lease I had six months worth of rent in my account. After three years and also 5 years with the same employer, I refunded his last two months and half of the double deposits so he was on the same terms as other tenants. He didn't ask for this but one day at a social function I met his boss and he went on and on how he was one of the best employees he ever had.

I am sure not all stories turn out this good, but if you have credit/criminal problems it is up to you to convince an employer or landlord to take a chance with you.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 PM

Some people seem to think I am over reacting and that everything will be OK. Anyone here agree? I sure hope they are right

Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM

Eddyline, if I could pay 6 months extra rent I could probably buy a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting