Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 12:50 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,702,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmama View Post
I am doing a paper on renting apartments to people who has a criminal record. I am doing a poll on do you think its right to discriminate those who has done their time. Their working hard everyday on a job but can't get an apartment beccause they have a felony record. Please give me your opinion on this topic.
I have rented to convicted felons. The last one was a great tenant, I'd re-rent/recommend him without hesitation.

If the felon in question is holding down a job, making their rent/car payments/etc on-time, is staying out of trouble with the "fuzz", then I'd say it's obvious that a change for the better has occurred, and would weigh that to off-set the problems of the past.

It's not easy for people to do well when the world is treating them as a reject. To climb out of a bad lifestyle with so much working against them says a lot itself.

I'd add something else to this. If a landlord is going to rent to someone with a questionable background, they have no business renting to them if they're gonna drag things out of the past to beat them over the head with. Creating an abusive situation for a tenant for a power-trip/sadistic thrill makes you as bad as any felon, in my opinion.

Last edited by tommy64; 09-21-2015 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Aren't there any landlords in your church?

No and I am running out of time.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:26 AM

35 posts, read 56,282 times
I would never allow an ex felon to rent an apartment. Maybe a house. But never an apartment because other people are at risk. Right now in our complex we have someone who is inviting ex felons to come over and spend the night, smoke dope, trash the grounds, etc. She has been evicted and given numerous ten day notices, which don't seem to come to fruition. We are all confused why she has been here for two months after her first eviction. And why she is allowing dangerous people onto the property. Our property management company is pathetic.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,987 times
My name is Ashley dale I am living in Rock hill staying with some one I would like to know if you had some thing for rent I have a 3 month little girl so I would need a 2 bed room..... If u could call me at 704 977 8116 thanks

Old 09-29-2015, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,987 times
Do u have any thing for rent in rock hill sc if u could call me at 7049778116 thanks

Old 12-03-2015, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Well, allow me to throw in a curve ball. I am a landlady and I don't do background checks. I don't mind renting to first-time renters, retirees, those with poor credit (how would I know?), widows and widowers and someone down on his luck or fresh out of prison.

BUT, I rent my houses out on a month-to-month basis with very well-defined and written stipulations and take dated pictures of the property. One went sour. It happens to people who do background and credit checks too.
Hello, I wanted to thank you for having such an open heart, there is so much stigma regarding ex-cons and it really is something that communities should be less judging. It could be anything from bad neighborhood, wrong place wrong time or false accusations. The general public is so brainwashed into believing that a conviction must mean guilt, they are unaware that over 95% of criminal charges result in a plea bargain not because of guilt but because of prosecutors amd judges having power to intensify the punishment if you take a charge to court to prove your innocence. That, mixed with the incredibly understaffed and underfunded public defenders office, who spends an average of 5 minutes on each case, makes it so easy to have any sort of charges. Then, factor in the harsh probation laws with any type of sex offender requirements and forget about it. You'll be homeless in a matter of days. But, people like you give me a small glimmer of hope...

The people who snub their noses up at ex-cons, do yourself a favor and watch an episode of Last Week with John Oliver or read up before you give an opinion of how you "feel" about it. That's all it is, feeling, no data no evidence, just that. America is a nation of "feelers" who have no open minds to data or statistics. You could learn alot from this landlord and her big heart. I doubt you will make any changes though, until you yourself end up facing the harsh reality of the American "justice" system.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,775 times
To all those individuals who have the sad mentality that ex-cons did it to themselves or they truly are awful people and you wouldnt rent to them, this mentality is sickening. Obviously you have done no reading on the subject or gotten yourself informed. You're just basing it off of "feelings". Do yourself a favor, before you state anything else on the subject, watch Last Week with John Oliver's episodes on the prison system and visit websites such as " The Innocence Project" or Dean Tong's website "Abuse-Excuse" . Conviction does not equal guilt. People who have no interaction or knowledge of the "justice" system or people like DA's and judges who profit and have power off the judiciary system love it when the general public spout nonsense such as yourself and don't read up about the issues.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmama View Post
I am doing a paper on renting apartments to people who has a criminal record. I am doing a poll on do you think its right to discriminate those who has done their time. Their working hard everyday on a job but can't get an apartment beccause they have a felony record. Please give me your opinion on this topic.
Yes i do think it is discriminating to those who has done their time for whatever they might have done. Not all people want to make the same mistakes again. There are people in this world that made a bad choice in there decision making and are now suffering for it. Some people do really want to change their lives around and just want someone to give them that chance for them to show them that they made a complete 360 in turning their life around.
I am one of these people and i am having a hard time finding a place for me and my children to live because of the one bad choice that i have made.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:54 PM

42 posts, read 11,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Only once, it would depend on the drug, on what the charge was (simple possession of weed for instance...not anywhere near as bad in my eyes as possession to sell, or selling crack or meth etc). Also would depend on how long they'd been out of jail and if their probation was successfully completed etc.
I am almost 30 years old and have, until very recently, lived in the land of the "pure and innocent" people who have no criminal record. Well, that ended because I chose to end it. I called the police on myself. I had purchased meth for the 1st time and couldn't bear to imagine myself becoming a meth addict.

So, I told the police where to find me, waited for them, and let them find the small amount of meth I possessed. They took me to a holding cell, and after waiting about 15 minutes, they wanted to RELEASE ME. I refused to be released. Had I known then what I know now, I would have walked out of that place in a heartbeat.

As a result of my honesty, I now have a "criminal record". Specifically, I have a meth misdemeanor, which, based on what I've discovered, is practically as bad as a felony.

I have an outstanding professional record and am a bit of a prodigy (was interviewed on ABC GMA, have written for the Houston Chronicle and U.S. News and World Report - all before the age of 25), yet now that I'm labeled a drug addict due to my misdemeanor conviction, I find that most landlords won't rent to me.

For my part, I can assure all the people reveling in the fact that they've managed to keep a clean record out there that I am a pretty good judge of character myself, and in my future success, I'll be sure to weed out all those who would elevate themselves on the backs of others' misfortune. Especially those who are among the many victims of the Drug War. People who have not sold, or profited from drugs, but who simply got caught at the wrong place and wrong time - possessing a 'no no' substance.

Some countries like Portugal have legalized all drugs.

Drunk driving, violence, theft, fraud, etc., are all crimes that violate another person's safety or rights. Personal drug use doesn't directly do so.

And please understand that I regret what I did, why wouldn't I? It's MY life that's been ruined.

Bottom line for me is that I accepted a plea deal to ensure that I wouldn't have a felony, but most LL's seem to out-right reject drug misdemeanors anyway. I hope you might consider mentioning that in your paper.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:28 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,805,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intotalshock View Post
I am almost 30 years old and have, until very recently, lived in the land of the "pure and innocent" people who have no criminal record. Well, that ended because I chose to end it. I called the police on myself. I had purchased meth for the 1st time and couldn't bear to imagine myself becoming a meth addict.

So, I told the police where to find me, waited for them, and let them find the small amount of meth I possessed. They took me to a holding cell, and after waiting about 15 minutes, they wanted to RELEASE ME. I refused to be released. Had I known then what I know now, I would have walked out of that place in a heartbeat.

As a result of my honesty, I now have a "criminal record". Specifically, I have a meth misdemeanor, which, based on what I've discovered, is practically as bad as a felony.

I have an outstanding professional record and am a bit of a prodigy (was interviewed on ABC GMA, have written for the Houston Chronicle and U.S. News and World Report - all before the age of 25), yet now that I'm labeled a drug addict due to my misdemeanor conviction, I find that most landlords won't rent to me.

For my part, I can assure all the people reveling in the fact that they've managed to keep a clean record out there that I am a pretty good judge of character myself, and in my future success, I'll be sure to weed out all those who would elevate themselves on the backs of others' misfortune. Especially those who are among the many victims of the Drug War. People who have not sold, or profited from drugs, but who simply got caught at the wrong place and wrong time - possessing a 'no no' substance.

Some countries like Portugal have legalized all drugs.

Drunk driving, violence, theft, fraud, etc., are all crimes that violate another person's safety or rights. Personal drug use doesn't directly do so.

And please understand that I regret what I did, why wouldn't I? It's MY life that's been ruined.

Bottom line for me is that I accepted a plea deal to ensure that I wouldn't have a felony, but most LL's seem to out-right reject drug misdemeanors anyway. I hope you might consider mentioning that in your paper.

I have to ask....why didn't you just flush the meth down the toilet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting