Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 03:59 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times

Advertisements

Hi so we moved into our new apartment 8 weeks ago

Everything is good in the apartment. However, we are on the bottom floor and our closet is near the rain gutter on the outside wall.

There was a small amount of water and some days after it rained the carpet would be moist

I contacted the management office by filing 2 maintenance request the first week and forgot about it as I became absorbed in class work.

Now the carpet is saturated and mold is starting to form. Emailed the management office twice they said someone be by today but no one showed.

I go to the Office in person but rarely home when they are open.

Thinking of emailing them again with pictures of the mold.

Any other advice can give?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 04:56 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I contacted the management office by filing 2 maintenance request
Emailed the management office twice they said ...
I go to the Office in person but rarely home when they are open.
Call when they are open and get the NAME of who you talk to.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:25 PM

268 posts, read 272,224 times
Not all mold is black mold. Not all mold is toxic.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:39 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,700 times
The dangerous form of black mold is actually green....and only grow in dark damp places. The op should not assume that it is dangerous black mold until he has it professionally tested.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:59 AM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
The dangerous form of black mold is actually green....and only grow in dark damp places. The op should not assume that it is dangerous black mold until he has it professionally tested.
This. They should respond to your request of course, but don't assume the growth is dangerous. Simple mildew is black.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This. They should respond to your request of course, but don't assume the growth is dangerous. Simple mildew is black.
Think it is mildew, LOL. Was thinking of using the BM word in hopes of making them get over here quicker.

We are actually off today the wife and I before our 3 day weekend trip so going to swing by the office. Actually it is really bad. Starting to leak under the carpet area outside of the closet in the bedroom. Going under the wall into the main hallway of the apartment. We think it leaked into the linen closet but it is hard to tell due to the bottom part of the closet having a raised shelf on the bottom instead of carpet.

Almost thinking of throwing sand on the pressure crack till they can fix it.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:10 PM

Update on the leak issue.

So they came out Wednesday looked around and left. They said nothing. Emailed them 2 days later since our main hallway, dining area, bedroom, and closet are soaked in water.

They tell us okay we fixed the leak and will replace the carpet.

I sniffed bs on them fixing the leak since it still was leaking. So wife goes out around 3. Around 330 they say oh we are going to rip out the carpet right now are you home no warning.

So wife had to go back home move everything in the dining room and hallway. Thankfully the closet area is clear. Also had to take care of the pets.

So they come out to rip the carpet up and the carpet people say it is still leaking.

So we get back on the horn with the property manager say its still leaking. They tell us well we fixed it put a bucket will deal with it.

So now we can't have any carpet in the apartment till the leak is fixed. On top of that they said they are going to crack open the walls giving us no opition where we are going to stay in the mean time.

Seeking some advice and feedback how to deal with this situation.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:39 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
Take a look at this site. Page down about a third to the section on a unit being Unsafe and Violating Ct. Health or Safety Code. (if you're zip is still the same). See if you can use anything there.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...nnecticut.html

And then take a look at this:

https://www.jud.ct.gov/Publications/hm031.pdf

Old 11-04-2018, 06:45 AM

So after they came in Friday leak, leaks, got progressively worse. Huge air pocket and water bubble in dining room area. Carpet saturated. Wall outlets and wall switches are set. Carpet soaked. Water bubbles on the hall and wall. Leaking from 3 places in the ceiling. We had to make another request they came yesterday CIT into the wall and ceiling.

In the ceiling looks like multiple leake. Wood floor above is soaked and the wall area between the walls is soaked. Apartment freaks of moisture.

So my wife wants them to move us to a new apartment complex here...I am not sure how that will fly.

They want to basically rebuild the apartment and keep us here. Mention their construction contractor is coming in going to fix the ceiling, replace the sheet rock, replace thewalls, repaint the walls, replace the carpet, and clean out the mildew & mold.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:48 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
So my wife wants them to move us to a new apartment complex here...
I'm with her.
Quote:
I am not sure how that will fly.
It'll fly a LOT better when you have a lawyer doing the telling involved.
(that means that you're beyond the "ask" level)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting