Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 852 times

Advertisements

Theres been a lot of drama between other tennants and I, personal problems, from a family member going ro jail and my neighbor thinking I'm having connections with her bf. (Somehow visiting him while she wasn't home means we were doing something dirty.) And the downstairs tennants saying I have their property in my home due to a family member sending me a notarized letter from jail saying I could hold his stuff.
What I'm asking is, because of this drama, can my roomate, who's the leaseholder remove me off the lease without my consent? Can the LL evict me for "drama"?

My neighbor is telling me my roomate said I'm out tonight and hes removing me from the lease, and the LL is going to evict me. I dont know if they can evict me for drama. Starting drama. Etc. I pay my rent on time and I dont do drugs, etc. So I'm really not breaking any rules here.. I just have bad luck with people. Can she evict me for that reason? Can my roomate remove me from the lease without my consent? What are my rights pertaining to my situation in New Hampshire?

Last edited by SunsetGirl; 11-07-2018 at 12:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 01:29 AM

23,257 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetGirl View Post
Theres been a lot of drama between other tennants and I, personal problems, from a family member going ro jail and my neighbor thinking I'm having connections with her bf. (Somehow visiting him while she wasn't home means we were doing something dirty.) And the downstairs tennants saying I have their property in my home due to a family member sending me a notarized letter from jail saying I could hold his stuff.
What I'm asking is, because of this drama, can my roomate, who's the leaseholder remove me off the lease without my consent? Can the LL evict me for "drama"?

My neighbor is telling me my roomate said I'm out tonight and hes removing me from the lease, and the LL is going to evict me. I dont know if they can evict me for drama. Starting drama. Etc. I pay my rent on time and I dont do drugs, etc. So I'm really not breaking any rules here.. I just have bad luck with people. Can she evict me for that reason? Can my roomate remove me from the lease without my consent? What are my rights pertaining to my situation in New Hampshire?
Are you a signatory on the lease or not? If you are not, your roommate has to evict you. If you are on the lease the LL has to evict you. They can try to evict you and you can fight it, but its going to cost you. I doubt all this "drama" will be worth court. There's a reason you "have bad luck with people". Better figure out what it is.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:51 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Whether you are on the lease or not, the LL can evict you, and if you're not on the lease, your roommate can evict you. But why would you want to stick around waiting to be named in court on an eviction action? Once that happens, you'll have trouble ever renting again.

Receiving stolen property is a valid reason for eviction. Associating with a criminal element that you bring to the premises is another valid reason for eviction. But even if you have an answer for everything, the cold hard fact is that you will never have peaceful enjoyment of this living situation going forward, for whatever reason. So it is time to move out!

It's time to move, and fast! And a word to the wise, when you do. Working a lot of hours, like 60 hrs/wk, is a good way to stay out of trouble, because you don't have much leisure time to get into trouble. Plus, if you bank the money you earn, you will build up a reserve fund that can be used to find more secure housing, possibly your own studio apartment, that could be a more stable housing situation for you, with less chance of conflict.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:17 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Hire an attorney!
Don't listen to people around.
Fight the eviction in Court.
If you receive any paper from the landlord, try to negotiate with them. If you receive papers from the Court hire an attorney ASAP they know how to fight this in Court. You can pay the attorney in parts, some accept credit cards.

Note: if you receive summons from the Court, you only have 5 days to file an answer.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:03 PM

People who rent a room usually don't have the resources to pay an attorney. People who wind up being named in an eviction lawsuit, even if the suit is dropped, wind up having a great deal of trouble ever renting again. Any LL who bothers to check, will see that they were named in an eviction, and refuse to rent to them.

Speak to the roommate directly. If you can clear the air and stay, and you want to stay, then stay. If she wants you to leave, and you aren't on the lease with the LL, then plan to leave. Why in the world would you want to stay where you're not wanted?

Old 11-14-2018, 08:50 AM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Are you a signatory on the lease or not? If you are not, your roommate has to evict you. If you are on the lease the LL has to evict you. They can try to evict you and you can fight it, but its going to cost you. I doubt all this "drama" will be worth court. There's a reason you "have bad luck with people". Better figure out what it is.

A LL can evict any and all people on the apartment. Lease signers or not.

If a guest of yours caused problems, it is the same as you causing the issue. Out you go.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:06 PM

but if she's on the lease, her roommate cannot evict her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting