Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:14 AM

32,512 posts, read 47,530,478 times

Advertisements

Because it is severely disillusioning to have to deal with some of the people they have to deal with.

People who are good tenants have no idea how many scummy people there are out there, trying to trick and deceive their way through life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 10:34 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,708,463 times
Some LL's aren't grown up enough to handle the authority they have as a LL. They think they can act any way they want because they're in charge. They're all about the power trip but they're out of touch with the sense of responsibility that goes with it. They mishandle people/situations then blame their tenants when things go wrong. They love conflict and use their position as LL as an edge to win every petty issue.

As much as some of them like to b*tc^ and complain about everything, you'd think they'd be eager to sell, but they hang on in a perpetual state of misery. Stupid. It makes the good LL's look bad - I wish the bad ones would sell their properties - TO ME.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:44 PM

453 posts, read 405,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
After seeing what my partner has gone through, vetting prospective renters, only to have them trash perfectly fine properties I would never be a landlord. Even when he tried to work with tenants who would be months behind on their rent, they would avoid his calls and destroy the properties. And, this happened on multiple homes in different states. So many renters have no sense of personal responsibility. They think they should be able to live rent free or, go months being behind on the rent without consequences. We have gone into homes once they were evicted to find bullets in the walls, holes kicked in walls, an abandoned dog left in a fenced yard, filth beyond comprehension. These people do not deserve to live within 4 walls. They are unsocialozed animals. Why anyone would choose to be a landlord is beyond my comprehension.
If this is happening a lot, with bullet holes and other awful things, how well is this person actually vetting tenants? With nice properties and proper vetting it should be pretty easy on attract good applicants. If these people were the best of the applicants, I just wonder what the actual issue is.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:43 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,192,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
If this is happening a lot, with bullet holes and other awful things, how well is this person actually vetting tenants? With nice properties and proper vetting it should be pretty easy on attract good applicants. If these people were the best of the applicants, I just wonder what the actual issue is.
With 27 rentals I usually have 3 problems a year worthy of an eviction with 1 major multi-thousand dollar issue every other year or so. That is a problem with about 11% of my tenants and less than 2% for major issues which doesn't seem high and certainly isn't an issue with my vetting. I see one semi-recent late payment and you can't give me a stellar explaination then I will deny. I'm probably one of the most strict landlords in the area because my houses are as nice as they are and I keep rents under market rates so I get a ton of interest.

My latest major issue I kept a $1500 deposit and won an additional $6500 judgment, I will most likely have to garnish wages to collect but I'm prepared for that already. Nothing on their credit report that was unpaid, solid job history, landlord references all checked out just fine. No amount of vetting would have avoided these people, they were mid 20s which has been one of the most common problem groups for me but age discrimination is illegal.

The home itself was a personal residence that I converted into a rental and in that conversion I replaced the flooring, paint, and kitchen countertops (bathrooms were already granite). Anyone who tries to say I'm a lazy or **** landlord is a moron. My homes are better maintained than most people's primary residence, there is more money to be made that way.

These people left trash and dog poop throughout the home, no dogs allowed it was one of the reasons for the eviction, dead plants in the front and back, they shut off the irrigation system. They painted words on the walls in every room and left food, mostly pasta sauce, all over the kitchen appliances and countertops. Even with an ongoing case against them, it took nearly a year to get through the court system, they have managed to rent two separate homes (I've had to track them down for service of legal documents). My case was so strong I won on summary judgment, seeing my self-prepared 14 page motion with another 50 pages of supporting evidence and 96 time-stamped photos and the idiots still didn't want to settle.

Yes I'm all about getting a monthly check, that is the contractual obligations after all, but I'm also about being notified of repairs, also a contractual obligation, and getting properties back in a clean, livable state. That almost never happens, your dirt is not wear and tear; that other post from the Philly area tenant is a great example.

They admit they burned the countertops, the carpet needed a good cleaning, and their floor mat left marks on the vinyl but they still wants to fight the charges? That's your normal tenant who has no issues on their background checks. What vetting would have stopped that situation from happening?

Old 11-18-2018, 04:02 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,665,357 times
From dealing with tenants!

Old 11-18-2018, 04:21 PM

5,419 posts, read 3,975,354 times
I've been a LL and I've been a tenant. The Landlord is the last to get paid when bills exceed income, because the tenants KNOW it will take a while to evict them. The electric can be shut off quickly, however. I have had a tenant tell me he couldn't pay on time, while smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer. Yeah, that will make you bitter.

And that wasn't even the worst - I've heard of tenants who move in with no intention of EVER paying rent. In some states it will take 6 months to get them out, that's 6 months of free living for them. Total scam.

Meanwhile the LL has to keep paying HIS mortgage and other bills.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:35 PM

453 posts, read 405,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
With 27 rentals I usually have 3 problems a year worthy of an eviction with 1 major multi-thousand dollar issue every other year or so. That is a problem with about 11% of my tenants and less than 2% for major issues which doesn't seem high and certainly isn't an issue with my vetting. I see one semi-recent late payment and you can't give me a stellar explaination then I will deny. I'm probably one of the most strict landlords in the area because my houses are as nice as they are and I keep rents under market rates so I get a ton of interest.

My latest major issue I kept a $1500 deposit and won an additional $6500 judgment, I will most likely have to garnish wages to collect but I'm prepared for that already. Nothing on their credit report that was unpaid, solid job history, landlord references all checked out just fine. No amount of vetting would have avoided these people, they were mid 20s which has been one of the most common problem groups for me but age discrimination is illegal.

The home itself was a personal residence that I converted into a rental and in that conversion I replaced the flooring, paint, and kitchen countertops (bathrooms were already granite). Anyone who tries to say I'm a lazy or **** landlord is a moron. My homes are better maintained than most people's primary residence, there is more money to be made that way.

These people left trash and dog poop throughout the home, no dogs allowed it was one of the reasons for the eviction, dead plants in the front and back, they shut off the irrigation system. They painted words on the walls in every room and left food, mostly pasta sauce, all over the kitchen appliances and countertops. Even with an ongoing case against them, it took nearly a year to get through the court system, they have managed to rent two separate homes (I've had to track them down for service of legal documents). My case was so strong I won on summary judgment, seeing my self-prepared 14 page motion with another 50 pages of supporting evidence and 96 time-stamped photos and the idiots still didn't want to settle.

Yes I'm all about getting a monthly check, that is the contractual obligations after all, but I'm also about being notified of repairs, also a contractual obligation, and getting properties back in a clean, livable state. That almost never happens, your dirt is not wear and tear; that other post from the Philly area tenant is a great example.

They admit they burned the countertops, the carpet needed a good cleaning, and their floor mat left marks on the vinyl but they still wants to fight the charges? That's your normal tenant who has no issues on their background checks. What vetting would have stopped that situation from happening?
I’m not arguing issues happen even with the best vetting and research. The way that post was phrased made it sound like a pretty common occurrence for that individual. Even then, I’d argue your damage is different than what was described earlier in the thread (yours seems more slob like behavior than outright destruction)

Maybe I’m giving to much credit to tenants, thinking they are similar to myself and fiancé. We treat our condo like it’s our own home. Any issue we see or have, we alert our landlord, if nothing else for record keeping purposes.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:23 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,143,957 times
Before I purchased my little house in San Francisco in 1994, my ex and I rented a beautiful, 1800 sq. ft. 2 BR flat (which I could never afford now!). My landlord owned many properties in the city which his father had built, including my building.

After we lived there about 5 years, I commented to him one day, "Ed, I appreciate you never raising the rent, but you know, even with rent control,we should be paying more than we are."

He said NO! He didn't ever want us to move because the few times he had come to repair or replace something, he saw what good care we were taking with the place. He said he owned buildings in the Haight where 8 people would be living in a 2 BR, people would paint all the walls black making it hard for him to repaint for the next tenant, wood floors would be damaged, etc. He managed a lot of property and had the right kind of temperament for it, but it would drive me crazy dealing with tenants like that.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:48 PM

22,579 posts, read 24,400,027 times
Probably because they have to deal with the Tenants......really, Tenants can be and
many times are a nightmare

Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 AM

37,269 posts, read 61,014,574 times
We have a friend who decided to rent their home to a group of college students. Before they moved out of their home, they shifted all of their furniture into the garage, and they padlocked the garage. After the students moved into the house, they tore open the garage, and they decided to break apart all the furniture and use it for fuel in a backyard bonfire. When the LLs learned that all their furniture had been burned, they were a bit miffed.

We had one set of tenants whose parents convinced them that they wanted to break the lease, and the easiest way to do that was to get me arrested. So the parents told them to take a beer can and a hammer and sit down in the space between my car and their car, and to start pounding on the can with the hammer. The wife was standing on a neighbor's yard with a camera, waiting for me to walk out to see what the noise was. They had it all scripted, for them to start an argument with me and call the police. They wanted me to think that he was beating on my car and that I was going to fight him. What they missed was that their window was open the night when the parents came over and instructed the tenants of how to do this. I was sitting outside and I overheard the entire plan.

Some tenants will rip open the walls to steal copper pipes, and remove wiring. Others overflow the bathtub, to rot away the bathroom flooring. [I have had to replace bathroom floor-joists, OSB and floor coverings]. Some tenants will flush clothing in the toilet to clog the pipes, others will beat on the porcelain and fracture the toilet. Window screens get destroyed. Smoking darkens the color of ceiling and walls, and it adds a stench.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting