Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 10:41 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
My last landlord who thankfully sold our complex! We have a new landlord who is more personable and caring. Some or even many landlords on here are only about getting a monthly check from tenants. My brother has one now where he broke the lease because the landlord was a slumlord. Why are most landlords angry and lazy? At least now I have a new landlord that isn’t angry , weird or grouchy. Many of the landlords on this forum seem Angry, want to put all faults on tenants, and complain about work they have to di
Many are bitter because they tried to treat tenants fairly like they would want to be treated, but got burned by tenants that felt entitled and list a lot of money. Your generalization about most landlords being bitter and money hungry can be countered that most renters are conniving scam artists that always try to get things for free and pull the same things on other businesses. Sound like a fair summation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 09:43 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Tenants that brought in a 4 ft lizard and let it live loose in a rm where it ate the carpet and baseboards, and pooped and peed everwhere, never flushed or cleaned a toilet, so they had to be replaced, painted without permission and did a lousy job with a strange color, ruined recently installed sod, put in grass without permission but no sprinkler sys, so i had to go over there weekly and water and cut grass...in the desert (instead of the easy care desert landscaping it had when they rented it, smoked inside of a no smoking property, lied on rental reference check/application then moved in and bounced sec deposit and 2 rent checks before i could evict them, didnt notify me of a roof leak, so it caused a lot of damage, stole my refrig when moving out.
Tenants can do a lot of damage.
And i have 11 rentals, that i maintain very well. Just put new roofs on 2, installed wood tile flooring in 3 last yr, all have central air, newer appliances, 2 car garages with auto openers, are immaculate when they get rented out (baseboards, windows, window sills, ceiling fans, appliances, etc are immaculate. Yards are weed free, no dog poop.
I pick up rent in person each month, so if there is a problem, they can show me, or text me and get a response within an hr. The renters i have now seem good, but they dont leave it like they got it...

Old 11-26-2018, 10:19 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Tenants that brought in a 4 ft lizard and let it live loose in a rm where it ate the carpet and baseboards, and pooped and peed everwhere, never flushed or cleaned a toilet, so they had to be replaced, painted without permission and did a lousy job with a strange color, ruined recently installed sod, put in grass without permission but no sprinkler sys, so i had to go over there weekly and water and cut grass...in the desert (instead of the easy care desert landscaping it had when they rented it, smoked inside of a no smoking property, lied on rental reference check/application then moved in and bounced sec deposit and 2 rent checks before i could evict them, didnt notify me of a roof leak, so it caused a lot of damage, stole my refrig when moving out.
Tenants can do a lot of damage.
And i have 11 rentals, that i maintain very well. Just put new roofs on 2, installed wood tile flooring in 3 last yr, all have central air, newer appliances, 2 car garages with auto openers, are immaculate when they get rented out (baseboards, windows, window sills, ceiling fans, appliances, etc are immaculate. Yards are weed free, no dog poop.
I pick up rent in person each month, so if there is a problem, they can show me, or text me and get a response within an hr. The renters i have now seem good, but they dont leave it like they got it...
Well I am sure the lizard didn't eat the carpet or baseboards but pooped and peed I can see.
My friend had a tenant steal a brand new refrigerator after being evicted as well as intensionally shoving rags down the plumbing to clog everything up. They left the place a mess and we're quite good at lying and gaming the system. It didn't help that my friend was trying to be nice to the tenant about all the late payments. In the end she lost three months of rents, the refrigerator, and all the damage and clean up.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:39 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
They sold the house to get him out. I'd put money on it.

No way to prove it, though. No one's tenant screening is 100% perfect.
Yeah, I think you're probably right. Oh, and guess what, he changed the locks on us, too, to deny us access to the unit! Fortunately, the guy has now moved out, and my husband says the place looks okay. Upstairs tenants say that he changed the lock cores back to the ones we had keys to (this was not the first time that he had changed the locks on his own!) on the day he moved out. Now he's harrassing me for his deposit back. The idiot doesn't know that he has to give me a forwarding address. So I put the unit back on the market immediately. Once it's rented, we'll figure out late charges, cost for changing the locks (since he refuses to give us back the keys), any cost for time it will have sat unrented, legal fees and court fees for having had to file the summons and complaint, and send him an accounting for the deposit - to the last address we had for him, which of course is our unit. We have 30 days by law in my state. Fortunately, our outer door locks to the building are electronic code, so hubby changed those today, too, so he has no way of accessing the building. The other tenants in the building are longtime excellent tenants, won't let him in.

What an idiot. He brought this all on himself by behaving the way he did. And he thinks he was entitled to be late on his rent, deny us access and then call in the health department (little does he know that the town health inspector LOVES my husband, because my husband takes such good care of our properties and always is deemed in the right in the rare case when an A-howle tenant tries to use them against us). That's only happened once before, and the inspector said, "I've never been called in to a unit that was in such good condition!" That tenant wound up evicted. And later on, she was arrested for assault - glad it wasn't on us!

Old 11-27-2018, 12:58 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Product of environment and experience that comes with time.

I know several older owners that live in one unit of a duplex or triplex and keep the other units vacant... simply too many bad experiences in the SF Bay Area... just to show how it can shake you to your core.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:21 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
It's been a long time since I have been a landlord, and I don't miss it. I was always right on top of any repairs. One lady stayed for eight years and she was always on time with the rent and took great care of the place. So much so that the rent was never raised.

Other tenants didn't pay on time, decided to paint or at least smear it around. One old couple would call if a light bulb burned out. I'd run over and change the bulb, but because they paid on time and didn't destroy things I figured they were worth a few light bulbs. All of my friends that still own rentals are now using property management companies....and the aren't always happy with them. A person still needs to drive by to make sure the landscaping is being kept up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting