Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kene View Post
I have been in my apartment for about a month. On the 6th day in the apartment i complained to the leasing office that i have an issue with the apartment cos it felt claustrophobic. But the apartment complex said they can move me into another apartment but i will have to pay more and i can't afford that. So now i barely even stay in the apartment. Also another issue i have is that sunlight doesn't come to the apartment because of the way the apartment is positioned. What can i do so that i can break my lease or move out because staying in the apartment is very depressing and it's suppose to feel like home
What you’re asking and saying is I DONT LIKE MY APARTMENT AND I NEED A LEGAL REASON TO BREAK MY LESSE SO HOW DO I DO IT WITH NO PENALTY OUT OF MY POCKET.

You can break a lease. It’s just a matter of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 12:57 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Ok, I get that; but as an adult "spatially challenged" person, don't you recognize your short-comings and MEASURE?
Some of us aren't that organized enough to bring a tape measure when we go apartment hunting.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:16 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Some of us are just spatially challenged. An empty apartment looks a lot bigger until you start filling it up with your belongings. I never understood why people sold their furniture rather than take it with them when they moved, but having just relocated myself I do so now. I had to part with my bedroom furniture because I realized that there was no way my triple dresser was going to fit into my new bedroom.

I sense that there's something else going on with the OP--like the apartment wasn't his/her first choice but s/he was under a time crunch and this was the only unit available at the time.
You’re probably right. But none of that is the LLs fault. It would be no different than leasing a car you end up not liking. You can turn it back in. You just need to pay a penalty. I don’t like it it’s too small so I get panic attacks is not a excuse for penalty free return. It’s not like taking back a vase to Target.
As far as spatially challenged.....they have these tools called tape measures.

Quote:
Some of us aren't that organized enough to bring a tape measure when we go apartment hunting.
Again .....how is that the LLs or anyone else’s fault?

Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
you signed a contract . you can pay to break the contract .

Old 11-30-2018, 12:12 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kene View Post
.......... they can move me into another apartment but i will have to pay more and i can't afford that. .........
You got the small apartment because you can't afford the larger apartment. Now you think the small apartment is too small but you still can't afford the larger apartment. Am I understanding your situation correctly?

You aren't getting out of the lease for free. The lease probably tells you what it will cost to get out of the lease. But I think I should point out, that if you do get out of the lease, you very likely still won't be able to afford a bigger apartment.

You have received some good advice about how to make the small place more comfortable. I will add the suggestion to replace all of the light bulbs with LED bulbs, which are brighter. Especially if the existing bulbs are those curly bulbs that are always dim and grim.

If you have a Costco membership, their LED bulbs are nice and bright and the price is good.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:24 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You’re probably right. But none of that is the LLs fault. It would be no different than leasing a car you end up not liking. You can turn it back in. You just need to pay a penalty. I don’t like it it’s too small so I get panic attacks is not a excuse for penalty free return. It’s not like taking back a vase to Target.
As far as spatially challenged.....they have these tools called tape measures.

Again .....how is that the LLs or anyone else’s fault?
No one says it was the LL's fault. The onus is totally on the OP. S/he has options--albeit limited--to rectify the situation. Either pay a hefty penalty to break the lease, find someone to sublet (if that's permitted) or find a work around for the the apartment's shortcomings.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
My last apartment had a large window but the sun rarely reached it. It was depressing BUT, it was the only apartment available in the building I wanted to live in so I took it.

Use bright colors, pillows, pictures, etc to brighten up the spot. Recognize that you have to make do for the duration of the lease. There really is nothing you can do until then or, as everyone has pointed out, breaking the lease will be very costly.

If this is an area and building you want to live in, put your name in for a better apartment should one become available.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:14 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Lesson learned eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting