Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 01:51 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I suggested she find another place to live and I'll even help her.
She did sign a lease but, thankfully, I made it month to month.
How do others handle stuff like this??
Hold the line.
Do more than just 'suggesting' she leave. Be firm. In writing.

Define a specific date.
Offer a hundred dollar bonus to be out sooner.
= = =

If you're inclined to try this again... go younger.
Late 20's, grad school and a VERY busy life.
And quit smoking if you want a quality person. Cats too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 02:08 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,673,702 times
I just have to shake my head at people who go through something on Craigslist and then complain about issues - that is the last place (IMO) that I would go through for much of anything! I do enjoy reading it but..... it's not moderated, etc. - you get what you pay for.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:28 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,878,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If no one that is applying seems right it's a higher power or the universe telling you to wait or to not rent to the wrong person.

Yup, that's why I rejected the other eight applicants.

First thing I would do is tell them they have to use the Smart Move online system to do a full background check on them. It will cost them $40, but I would tel them after their 6th month rent I would return their $40. Then they process the info online so they don't have to give you their social security number and then you get a report if they have ever been arrested or evicted, etc.

I paid for the background check myself on this one but will take your advice on the next one!

and if you or the other person is home all day that can be a problem too.

I'm unemployed at the moment so am home all day. She doesn't work so is home all day but she has only left the house twice all month. Gettin' on my last nerve! I really really hate having to leave my own house just to get away but I've been doing just that!

Look for someone else but be patient and at the first sign that they were a P,i,t,A you should have let them know.

That's what I did this time but every single day there's more and more 'stuff' piling up. I would be letting her know every waking minute just about. In truth, I am about the most laid back and easy going person I know. So for me to get upset about all this stuff means it's really aggravating to me and I can usually accept quite a bit when it comes to 'quirky' or 'eccentric'. Not this time.

When they start imagining smells of hairspray when you are not wearing any it's time to give them a warning to leave.

Done! I asked her this morning if I was now supposed to quit using my body wash and shampoo because she might smell it. Mind you my bathroom door is always closed so smells don't 'escape' except through the vents. She's nuts.

There is no way someone is going to tell me how to live in my own house. I use nightlights too and no one is touching them, You don't turn off my TV and I will tell you that I make breakfast in the morning so get earplugs if you don't like it.

I believe in being considerate of other people but I've bent over backwards for this woman and all she does is find more to complain about.

Sounds like this lady has mental problems, hope she leaves soon.

What's weird about that is whenever I hear her on the phone talking to other people she sounds perfectly normal and intelligent. Later I wonder....

Had you asked for references I doubt anyone would have been able to vouch for her.

I think you might be right.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
Quote:
She doesn't work. She has widows benefits from social security. The rent in just a tad over 25% of her income. She also has disabilities.
Give her a 30 day notice and don’t rent the room again

Old 11-27-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Give her a 30 day notice and don’t rent the room again

Done. But I need to rent the rooms out. I really need the money. Just next time I'll be even pickier than this time!!

Old 11-27-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Hold the line.
Do more than just 'suggesting' she leave. Be firm. In writing.

Define a specific date.
Offer a hundred dollar bonus to be out sooner.
= = =

If you're inclined to try this again... go younger.
Late 20's, grad school and a VERY busy life.
And quit smoking if you want a quality person. Cats too.

Already done. She's not a happy camper and tough cookies. But I'm not paying her anything to leave.

I think you're right about "go younger". It's just that I'm 76 myself and I don't want to mess with really young.

Trying to quit smoking and I have no cats. Or dogs.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I just have to shake my head at people who go through something on Craigslist and then complain about issues - that is the last place (IMO) that I would go through for much of anything! I do enjoy reading it but..... it's not moderated, etc. - you get what you pay for.

I've had other people live with me and NOT ONE of them ever complained about anything, much less the stuff she does. And they never disrespected me or my home like she does. Well, one did and got rid of her too. This woman needs to go live in a pitch black and silent mausoleum! (sp?) That's what she wants my house to be!

I live in a smallish area and the majority of Craiglist offerings are legit. I've seen a few scams but they are easy to spot. I know mine was legit and I think the responders were too, for the most part. This one just fooled me really good! Background check and all!

Old 11-27-2018, 03:51 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Done. But I need to rent the rooms out. I really need the money. Just next time I'll be even pickier than this time!!
Can you sell your house and move into a smaller, more affordable place?

You don't need to mess with this stuff at this stage in your life. It's not worth it, and you'll never find the perfect person to share your space without stress.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:31 PM

19,651 posts, read 9,192,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Can you sell your house and move into a smaller, more affordable place?

You don't need to mess with this stuff at this stage in your life. It's not worth it, and you'll never find the perfect person to share your space without stress.
I agree with the above, IF possible. (I know sometimes it's not.)

That is why after I left home at 18, I would always, when necessary, choose to live in a "lesser" apartment rather than be forced to have a roommate. I lived with my second and current husband before I agreed to marry because I am too much of an introvert and I value my freedom to live the way I want too much to have compromised with anyone who doesn't want to live the exact same way I do; and I also hate personal drama or conflict of any sort.

OP, I know the above doesn't help you at all, and I am very sympathetic to your plight, but I will just say again that if it is at all possible, I hope that you will try to find some way to continue to live on your own.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:33 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,695,396 times
Quote:
I think you might be right.
You can't be considerate or patient with people like her, they see it as a weakness to take advantage of.

Good luck getting rid of her, if she had no evictions in the past maybe the threat of one will make her leave.

Also never rent out a place without getting $550 for the first month and $550 for a security deposit. If they can't come up with the money it means most likely you are dealing with a deadbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting