Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,342 times

Advertisements

I live in Texas, my lease ends in 10 months and today I got a realtor telling me she was showing my place for pre-lease. I was no way you cant get inside without me being home and I still have months to go on my lease. She said call the property manager and I did. Same deal they said they will be showing my place till they have the next interested in renting it. Been renting all my life and this never happened to me. the realtor was wafting for this guy in the front door while this guy was filming all my whole place, he was in my bedroom by himself! I am leaving town for almost a month and I don't want this to happen again... any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 01:26 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Change locks

Old 12-18-2018, 02:16 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Change locks
That would get you into some major trouble here in AZ. The landlord is being stupid and seemingly unreasonable but there's no reason to respond in kind.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:28 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Change locks
Worst possible advice. That would breach the lease in TX.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:30 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresBto View Post
I live in Texas, my lease ends in 10 months and today I got a realtor telling me she was showing my place for pre-lease. I was no way you cant get inside without me being home and I still have months to go on my lease. She said call the property manager and I did. Same deal they said they will be showing my place till they have the next interested in renting it. Been renting all my life and this never happened to me. the realtor was wafting for this guy in the front door while this guy was filming all my whole place, he was in my bedroom by himself! I am leaving town for almost a month and I don't want this to happen again... any advice?
You need to read your lease, but they should have to give you 24 hours notice.

If possible, you can place a door wedge in the front door and leave through the garage?

Old 12-18-2018, 06:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Why did you let them in?

I knew I was done renting when I came home one day and found the lady LL snooping around and the door wide open, to make matters worse a rat got into the house and it took me a few days to catch it and kil it in a trap.

Now I have my own house and could not be any happier.

If you can't afford to buy ask to be let out of your lease and find a better LL, and write a letter and mail it certified to the LL about this incident.

Also get a spycam and keep it recording at all times.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
As long as they are giving you legal notice of entry you can’t stop them. Work with them if you want them to work with you

Old 12-18-2018, 08:38 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
I am leaving town for almost a month and I don't want this to happen again... any advice?
The Texas landlord tenant statute, unfortunately, doesn't address this issue.

What does your lease say about the landlord's right of entry?

If it doesn't say anything or it's unreasonable you can go to court and seek an injunction against the unreasonable entry.

You can otherwise be guaranteed that this will keep happening.

If you are going to be away for a month make sure your rent is paid on time or early. If you ride the due date and lose control of it you may find an eviction notice on your door when you get back.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:42 PM

29 posts, read 60,059 times
Very confusing as to why they want to show your unit with 10 months remaining on the lease. I would call the property mgs back and make sure they have the right unit and if so why are they showing it with 10 months still to go. Does sound fishy to me. Do Not change the locks. Big no no. Send certified letter (make a copy for yourself) with what is going on in questioning the reason. Always have it in writing

Old 12-18-2018, 04:04 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If you are leaving for a month, lock up your valuables and medication.

You can't keep the landlord or his assigned agents out. They give you 24 hour notice and in they come.

( something is whispering in the back of my brain that 24 hour notice is not required in Texas, but I am not going to look it up. Check on that, OP. The best you are going to get is 24 hour notice, but maybe not even that. Find out so you know your rights about entry, paltry as they are. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting