Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 09:36 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't do it because you may view the place in January and discovered you don't like the bathroom or kitchen. Usually a tenant views the place before the security because they were pleased with the overall apt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 07:36 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I wouldn't do it because you may view the place in January and discovered you don't like the bathroom or kitchen. Usually a tenant views the place before the security because they were pleased with the overall apt.
That's what I'm thinking ... $900 is too much to ask for an apartment that you haven't yet seen. I'll just have to take my chances and wait until the apartment is ready to be viewed then I can proceed if I'm satisfied.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:40 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That's what I'm thinking ... $900 is too much to ask for an apartment that you haven't yet seen. I'll just have to take my chances and wait until the apartment is ready to be viewed then I can proceed if I'm satisfied.
But won't you still lose 900 if you don't like it?

Old 12-24-2018, 03:04 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
I've heard too many stories about being shown a model or "sample" apt and then finding out the one they got was beat up, in poor condition, etc.
Although you may lose it, I think it's the right decision to wait and see what you'd actually be getting.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:38 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
apartment won't be available for showing until mid-January and was shown a similar unit.
The company wants a deposit to hold the unit

I liked the complex, price and location but the high deposit concerns me.
Thoughts?
Only you can decide if $900 is a fair amount.

The hiccup is the "what if's"... how can you be refunded if you change your mind (for any reason).
Will you be expected to sign a lease and pay rent immediately when the unit is ready even if you
aren't ready to move in. And so forth.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:12 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Most places I rented allowed new renters to view the occupied apartment in the month before the lease is up. I would not pay $900 to hold an apartment I had not seen. What if the current tenants had pets and the carpets were a mess or had fleas? What is the view like? The upstairs neighbors? I looked at a condo for rent a few years back and the people above me had wood floors and a large dog that ran back and forth. That was a big no thank you.

Now if you could get your $900 back if the apartment wasn't to your liking that would be fine but that's a lot of money to lose if you don't like that particular unit.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
How much of the $900 would they keep if you backed out? This should be clearly defined in the paperwork you sign. It is normal to take a non-refundable deposit to hold a place for longer than a few days (at least where I live). They would lose money big time if they just let people back out up until move in date with no penalty.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:07 PM

Thank you for the feedback everyone. To clarify, the complex would deduct from the 900 deposit if I backed out (since they held it off the market for me) ... That is just too much money to hold a unit I have not seen as it'll be several weeks before the tenant moves out (mid January) ... If the apartment isn't in the same condition as the unit I was shown, I'm screwed as I don't think they would refund the deposit. Too risky. I'll contact them after the first to see when the unit will be available for viewing and hold off on the deposit until I've actually SEEN the unit ... I need to protect myself.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Most places I rented allowed new renters to view the occupied apartment in the month before the lease is up. I would not pay $900 to hold an apartment I had not seen. What if the current tenants had pets and the carpets were a mess or had fleas? What is the view like? The upstairs neighbors? I looked at a condo for rent a few years back and the people above me had wood floors and a large dog that ran back and forth. That was a big no thank you.

Now if you could get your $900 back if the apartment wasn't to your liking that would be fine but that's a lot of money to lose if you don't like that particular unit.
Exactly ... Too risky to put down the deposit without seeing the actual unit ... I'll risk the unit being taken by someone else but I'm just going to wait until I can actually see the unit THEN put down a deposit if it's to my liking.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
It's not legal in CA to charge you to hold a unit that you backed out of, unless they can prove they actually lost the amount of money they are charging you for.

And, any agreement (contract) has to benefit both parties to be legal. So, what do you get out of this agreement? Do you get any kind of guarantee? Did they approve your application and promise you an apartment that you are sure you want? Doesn't look like it to me.

You aren't on the hook to pay someone money who promises you that they will give you an apartment that you've never seen and may not like, and that they aren't promising they will give you for sure, or on the exact date you want, etc.

That's like signing a contract that says "I promise I'll sell you my house if I feel like it someday or not, but you must give me $900 for this agreement, and if you later decide you don't like this agreement, I get to keep your $900."

Never fly in court, in my opinion.

But, even though this is somewhat standard in large apartment complexes, I would never agree to it, personally. I'd keep shopping. They do this because they get away with it - not because it's legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting