Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:10 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Go to Home Depot and get two decent size lag bolts. Roll the door up and have you wife insert one into the closest hole in the track to where one of the wheels is.

Remove both cars from the garage.

Tender your notice to move at renewal.

Renting from irresponsible landlords is cheaper. But it does indeed suck.
Well we got the cars out w/help from neighbors and this morning I woke up to a message from my landlord saying he will get a garage repairperson out. So there’s progress. Lol

Old 12-28-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
You obviously have no freaking clue how leverage works. The average steel backed door weighs 200 pounds.

That’s why they have Springs.
Yea it’s definitely 200 or more lbs.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:14 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Holidays are often challenging when it comes to mobilizing resources...

Was just reading where the fire department came to the rescue of a Grandmother with a broken garage door on Christmas... they temporarily propped open the door so she could get her car out... first available appointment from the overhead door company was 3 days out.

Things often happen at inopportune times...

Old 12-28-2018, 10:28 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
I had two occasions where holidays interferred with emergencies.

Locked out of our rental house on July 4th - had to break a window to get in. Water heater in the attic sprung a leak on Easter Sunday - a neighbor was able to help.

But talk about poor luck!

Old 12-28-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Holidays are often challenging when it comes to mobilizing resources...

Was just reading where the fire department came to the rescue of a Grandmother with a broken garage door on Christmas... they temporarily propped open the door so she could get her car out... first available appointment from the overhead door company was 3 days out.

Things often happen at inopportune times...
Well it’s understandable. While I do get it that the landlord can’t make repairs happen at the snap of a finger, but that doesn’t excuse them from acknowledging that he’s working on it.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I had two occasions where holidays interferred with emergencies.

Locked out of our rental house on July 4th - had to break a window to get in. Water heater in the attic sprung a leak on Easter Sunday - a neighbor was able to help.

But talk about poor luck!
Yikes! Glad it still worked out for you.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:47 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Well it’s understandable. While I do get it that the landlord can’t make repairs happen at the snap of a finger, but that doesn’t excuse them from acknowledging that he’s working on it.
For 30 years I was one of those property managers that lived and slept with the phone... 2 am in the morning making repairs... holidays and Sundays leaving family to take care of business...

No more... I have business hours just like any other business.... if you have a real emergency call 911... if you lock yourself out call a locksmith...

If a habitability issue arises it will be taken care of well within the statutory time...

Of course you are right... often staff and services are trained to placate... thank you for making us aware... we are on it... work order in process or being assigned at priority level XYZ... but it doesn't get the work done any faster... still requires someone with the ability to physically show up and effect repair.

I was on call at the Hospital and salaried for many years... I could not be there enough... between property management and hospital engineering I lived in my service truck...

When Hospital ownership changed and I became hourly... after 25 years which meant call in pay... if I was called in I had to be payed and often overtime...

Guess what happened?

All of a sudden all those things that simply could not wait stopped happening... people started problem solving and found 98% of things can really wait until morning.

This is one of the reasons I have transitioned to commercial property... NNN leases are the best thing ever.

The tenant is contractually responsible for everything... even owners property taxes and insurance in many cases are pass throughs...

Old 12-28-2018, 06:14 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Christmas/New Years! On Vacation!! Sheesh

Old 12-28-2018, 06:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
It’s been 24 hours since I emailed my property manager and left a maintenance request in the online tenant portal. I even stated on the email and maintenance request that both my wife and my car are stuck in the garage. The problem is, the spring snapped, making it impossible to get the door up/stay up. I have managed to get the door up, but it won’t actually stay up and tends to slam back to the ground and so today I ended up taking three buses to work, which added, ohhh, about 2 hours, one way, to my commute. I now have another 2+ commute home. Also, my wife and daughter are stuck at hoe too. It’s a good thing my wife is a teacher and on winter break!

So my question is, how freakin long must I give my landlord to fix this issue? He goes through a home warranty company and they then dispatch a repair company. I figured this would be high priority considering that I have no way to get either vehicle out of the garage. I was going to give it till tomorrow and then email my property manager/landlord and tell him I’ll pay a company to fix the door and to just take it off of our rent. Or, should I just email him now and request this? My wife had plans today but unfortunately is stuck at home, and my commute went from 20-30 minutes to 2-2.5 hours each way. I’m planning on taking a personal day off tomorrow due to the ridiculous commute, but obviously I can’t continue to miss work next week.

P. S. Renting sucks.
First of all

In order to open a garage door on a motorized track that has broken springs you

From closed garage door position

Pull down on the trolley disconnect pull rope.
Press the wall button or garage remote. The trolley will now move until it stops at the predetermined stopping point in the “open position “as it would if the door was attached.
Pull the door up manually until the traveler catches the trolley.
At this point the door will stay open because it’s held by the latch.

To close
Pull the pull rope to disconnect trolley from open position.
Lower garage door to close manually
Push close button on wall or remove.
Trolley should travel to closed position where it will latch keeping the door closed stopping someone from opening it to walk in your garage

Old 12-29-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Christmas/New Years! On Vacation!! Sheesh
The landlord uses a home warranty company to dispatch repair people from various local companies. Since the property management company IS the landlord, multiple people can contact the home warranty company. I mainly deal with a property manager that works as a liaison to the PM company BUT, I submit repair requests to both the PM company online and via email to my property manager. So either way, if someone is on vacation, there’s still SOMEONE that can contact the home warranty company and issue repairs. There’s really no excuse for non communication from either the PM company nor my property manager. It’s actually their freakin job to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting