Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,294 times

Advertisements

Ive been in my rental house for 2 months. I put in a work order for the leaking toilet about 2 weeks ago. My landlord has been argumentative with me about this entire situation, first claiming that we were not at the property whenever they came to fix it and we didnt answer our phones (we had no phone calls or texts from them), and then saying i was accusing her of lying, and then when asking us if they could enter the property with their key and we said no, they got short with us and said they have to because ite a structural issue that needs to be fixed ASAP because it has rotted the floor out. We said thats fine. The maintenance man did come out to assess the situation, but that was it and we havent heard anything since. This is not the only problem the house has had since we moved in. There are mice (we had to call an exterminator ourselves after they said they put in a work order, we later discovered they didnt) theres holes that need to be sealed up to prevent mice from coming in (also what needed to be fixed whenever the toilet is being fixed) and the backdoor doesnt have a handle on it and is being locked by a piece of steel, not to mention my heat was out for a week and I finally was able to get some communication from them and the HVAC guys by going into the office, which also caused them to resent me because they have “over 300 properties and cant give me special treatment” just cause I wanted to know what was going on with my house.

So after speaking to an attorney, I wrote a letter to my landlord last friday and sent it certified mail aswell as handing it to her in person stating the house is inhabitable due to the mice droppings in my dishes and clothes, the potential for black mold in the bathroom and the floor caving in, and that i will be moving out on February 1st and paying januarys rent. I havent received anything back from them yet if they are going to sue us or what, and i dont know if theyre waiting until we leave to do anything or exactly whats going on. Worse comes to worse we’ll just buy out the lease, but we dont want to have to give someone money that cant even fix their leaky toilet and their doors.

We had a house inspector come out who did send them a letter, or said he was going to at least, to fix the toilet and to remove any mold thats potentially there. I still havent heard anything though.

My question is, should I send another letter stating the toilet still needs to be fixed as a back up to the inhabitability law? Or is the letter I sent enough? Im just not sure what to do at this point, but i know for a fact im not living there anymore (im currently staying with my mom till i find another place) solely because its gross. As soon as you walk into the house you can smell the leaking from the bathroom, and its not just water, its sewage. There is a hole inbetween the wall and the floor that i assume is to the crawl space, im not sure, but the exterminator put out sticky traps for the mice and what i thought were mouse droppings were actually fruit flies coming out of the hole and landing into the sticky trap..

P.S im in Missouri.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:59 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Send follow up letters, separately, on each item affecting habitability.

Missouri is going to be a little tough, you want teams of documents.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Your lawyer works for you and would know best the particulars... sounds like the process will be resolved soon...

Old 12-30-2018, 04:16 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Turn Off the water line under the tank. Use a trash can or bucket to flush till they can come in & fix it.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:20 AM

24 posts, read 11,509 times
Get the toilet fixed and hold back the cost of the repair from the rent

Old 12-30-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hawking View Post
Get the toilet fixed and hold back the cost of the repair from the rent
You cannot do this without following very specific guidelines. This is absolutely terrible advice.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
You cannot do this without following very specific guidelines. This is absolutely terrible advice.
So the person keeps asking for it to be fixed. Nothing is getting done. It is making the place "non habitable".

So getting it fixed, taking it off the rent and moving forward with your live is horrible advice?

No court would fault the tenant. Please I would love to hear your fix since you seem to know so much

Old 12-30-2018, 09:52 AM

Since roamingtx just wants to roam the fourm, pretend to be knowledgeable and not be helpful.

Read this https://www.lsmo.org/node/649/repair-and-deduct

Old 12-30-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hawking View Post
Since roamingtx just wants to roam the fourm, pretend to be knowledgeable and not be helpful.

Read this https://www.lsmo.org/node/649/repair-and-deduct
Read the very first qualifying factor in your link.

Which tenants can use repair and deduct?

1. You must have lived in your home for 6 months or more,

Again. You have provided now ridiculously horrible advice, because you apparently can’t even read.

The advice I gave in my first response stands. Paper trail on every issue separately.

Last edited by RoamingTX; 12-30-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 12-30-2018, 10:00 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Meanwhile, get the problem fixed for your own sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting