Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:02 PM

5 posts, read 14,441 times

Advertisements

Hi ,
I am looking for a tenant screening service that lets landlord enter the prospective tenant information including tenant's ssn number & gives the landlord tenant's credit report along with other screening information like Criminal record, Evictions, Bankruptcies etc.
In the past i have used e-renter but it shows their own calculated credit grade not credit report (eg https://www.e-renter.com/samples/pre...d_credit_check ). On the other hand services like cozy, mysmartmove give detailed credit report but they send an email link to the tenant for entering ssn number. (I would need ssn to report to collection agency in case of non-paying tenant.)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 08:08 PM

8,098 posts, read 8,241,105 times
I’ve been very satisfied using Trans Union’s Smartmove but I also have the applicant provide the SSN on my application they must submit to me before I “invite” them to move forward with the Smartmove process.

https://www.mysmartmove.com

Old 12-29-2018, 10:22 PM

5 posts, read 14,441 times
Thanks for your reply WorldKlas. The problem is many times prospective tenants are reluctant about giving personal information to individual landlords & if they come to know it is not required then it would become difficult to get such info.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:45 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,564,260 times
Then you don’t rent to them. This isn’t rocket science.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:03 PM

8,098 posts, read 8,241,105 times
I’ve never, ever had a prospective tenant refuse to submit an application or provide all the info including SSN EXCEPT one person who was an attorney and I was super glad because I have so far dodged the bullet and sucessfully avoided leasing to people who work in law firms.

Every tenant for the past 30 years has been pretty carefully pre-screened before they ever get an application; I don’t give applications to everyone — only those who confirm they meet my requirements — so they are quite aware of our process and understand they will complete an application and I will verify their employment history before they are invited to do the final Trans Union credit/criminal background. And I need their SSN and written consent (on the application) in order to do the employment verification so they readily provide all the needed info.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:48 AM

24 posts, read 11,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Then you don’t rent to them. This isn’t rocket science.
What do you know about rocket science. Seems you know a lot how to be a condescending users and not a helpful one

Old 12-30-2018, 09:02 PM

784 posts, read 719,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcguy View Post
Thanks for your reply WorldKlas. The problem is many times prospective tenants are reluctant about giving personal information to individual landlords & if they come to know it is not required then it would become difficult to get such info.
I have never had an issue with getting all the information I need on an application. Most of the time they even want to email the application to me, which is not real secure.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:39 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,564,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
I have never had an issue with getting all the information I need on an application. Most of the time they even want to email the application to me, which is not real secure.
I use Docusign for this purpose. It’s relatively cheap, does provide a decent level of security and allows me to move a signed lease and application right into the cloud.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:19 AM

4,513 posts, read 2,493,765 times
I use mysmartmove, and once they pass credit and rental reference checks, they fill out hard copy of lease app for me to have on file, which includes ss number.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:17 PM

486 posts, read 409,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hawking View Post
What do you know about rocket science. Seems you know a lot how to be a condescending users and not a helpful one
?

He's right. If someone doesn't want to provide the required information for a landlord to run a normal credit and background check, then they don't have to apply or we can't process their incomplete application. It's that simple.

Now, if someone doesn't want to write their SSN and instead wants to provide it over the phone, that's fine. But I can't process an application without all the required information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting