Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 PM

183 posts, read 750,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I think that the age of the children are what would matter most.
Okay, here are the ages. What would you think?

Girl 6
Boy 8
Boy 9
Girl 12
Boy 13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 06:35 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,996,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtncat View Post
Okay, here are the ages. What would you think?

Girl 6
Boy 8
Boy 9
Girl 12
Boy 13
The ages don't matter. The law is the law. I doubt you'll have any trouble at all if you deal with reputable property managers. In other words, in my opinion, you're worrying needlessly.

Steve

Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,360,169 times
Actually, anyone who rents a 4+ bedroom house should expect either many roommates or children. Otherwise, why would anyone need such a big place. I'd say if you found a 4+ bedroom house for rent, the landlord would expect a large family.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,882,794 times
I am not a landlord, but speaking as someone with pets and also lives in the south, tile floors are a good idea. I've noticed most landlords that have all tile are a lot more willing to allow pets. I also have a husband that tends to spill things like coffee, tea and coca cola, so it only makes sense that with kids spills happen if only accidentally.

On our last rental, we had a choice between two units. One had beautiful, fairly new light beige carpeting, oNE had a recently cleaned (and I think dyed) brown carpeting. My husband couldn't understand why I chose the brown

Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,659,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Only if you can prove that this was the case.

I think that the age of the children are what would matter most. Five toddlers, Five teenagers or Five kids that range in age from adolescent to teenager are going to paint three different ideas into the landlords head.

Also, just because it is a four-bedroom home does not mean that the landlord has intentions or expects it to be rented to a large family. My mom is currently renting a home that has three bedrooms, a sun-room, a large family room, a large living room and a decent dining room. She lives by her self but likes all the extra rooms and space for her stuff.
That would be discrimination based on familial status and a violation of Federal Fair Housing laws, as others have stated.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:11 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,453,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtncat View Post
My family and I are in the process of making a move to Charleston, SC (Yeah!) We plan on renting there. Here is my situation.

I have a large family. Five kids. They truly are wll behaved and not destructive. My husband and I have worked very hard to teach them respect not only for other people but for their belongings and the home we live in. We are not frequent movers. We have been in our current home for 6 years. Prior to that we lived in the same house for 10 years. When I start my search for another home, I will have references in hand not only from our current landlord (only been late(5 days) with the rent once in six years) but also from our neighbors, as to our character.

Here is my question. Will a landlord flinch when he hears that we have five kids? If so, how can I overcome the objections right from the get go? Obvoiusly we will be looking for a big house, 4+ bedrooms. I'm just afraid that a landlord will have preconceived notions on the destructiveness of kids due to past experiences.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Not usually. I don't see landlords flinching at the thought of 5 kids if it's a big house. It is more wear and tear on the rental though. More bodies = more wear and tear. Adults can do just as much if not more damage anyway. Landlords can't discriminate against you because you have kids but they can set occupancy standards that have to be applied to all applicants. 7 people might tip you over their occupancy standards but... if you are looking at big homes that shouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I am not a landlord, but speaking as someone with pets and also lives in the south, tile floors are a good idea. I've noticed most landlords that have all tile are a lot more willing to allow pets. I also have a husband that tends to spill things like coffee, tea and coca cola, so it only makes sense that with kids spills happen if only accidentally.

On our last rental, we had a choice between two units. One had beautiful, fairly new light beige carpeting, oNE had a recently cleaned (and I think dyed) brown carpeting. My husband couldn't understand why I chose the brown
We've removed all the carpet and put tile and hardwood floors to it make it kid friendly and pet friendly. Tenants still manage to damage to floors... but at a lesser degree than carpet. Good advice floridadreamer.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:38 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,659,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
We've removed all the carpet and put tile and hardwood floors to it make it kid friendly and pet friendly. Tenants still manage to damage to floors... but at a lesser degree than carpet. Good advice floridadreamer.
Hardwoods seem so vulnerable to things like pet bodily fluids and droppings. I'd much rather put in inexpensive carpet, which can just be pulled up and replaced when the tenants move out.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Hardwoods seem so vulnerable to things like pet bodily fluids and droppings. I'd much rather put in inexpensive carpet, which can just be pulled up and replaced when the tenants move out.
Okay, your right. Let me rephase my post... faux hardwood... high end pergo. It's better than inexpensive carpet (which is initially inexpensive but not inexpensive when it has be replaced every 5 years... plus the padding). If I had carpet - even the cheap stuff - I would not allow pets and then there's always the issue of what's normal wear and tear on carpet. Real hardwood - like you said - is vulnerable to stains and is easily damaged and a pain to fix. I've had good luck with the pergo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting