Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 01:39 AM

3 posts, read 2,166 times

Advertisements

Hello and happy Friday. I have been dealing with on going maintenance issues, code violations, and minor things (light bulbs never replaced , ect) since I signed my lease 6 months ago. Before you ponder, “well, didn’t you think of this BEFORE you rented and signed the lease???!”. To answer your question, yes. Yes I did. It wasn’t until I started the check list that I noticed all the details. It’s worth nothing that I moved here from Vegas so I did t have the freedom to drive the unit as much as I would ah e liked.
Long story short, from the date I moved in there were no electoral outlets working, the window screen was gone, the gas/heater wasn’t working (at which point I called SoCal gas and they found severe gas leak. No gas or heat was available after that day, for obvious reasons). This was annoying but it was fixed so I didn’t overthink it. As the days, weeks, went on, I found other issues like broken bulbs, base molding missing, I guess the oreviiis tenant had a dog (I have allergies which was why I rented this place. The landlord said it was a no pet place. He must have forgotten that the tenant had an emotional support dog for her stress. Yeah, I have that too. It’s called wine. with that said, I cleaned and repainted the entire unit include the closet, repainted the cabinets in the kitchen, sealed the wall cracks with caulk, bought and replaced all the bulbs, bought fasteners and locks for the hallway closets (they had fallen off after many years but the maintenance guy didn’t fix it. Also repainted all hallways and doors since they used semi gloss over unprimed doors. I was tired of watching paint peel and litter my floor. It felt like I was walking through the opening scene of Star Wars. I also had a screen made since they didn’t replace it. Not an issue. I was annoyed but it didn’t ruin my life. Present day: one of the 3 window in the living are (single hung, tilted) had a broken latch (these are the windows that remove so you can clean). The window was perfect otherwise. In fact, the only reason I rented here was the beautiful natural sunlight. This is my go to feature. I must have that when I rent. This place had it. The owners never fixed it, made excuses, came to measure (without informing me 24 hours in advance. They wouldn’t change the apt which threw off my schedule since I work from home two days a week. They also went through my personal belongs. Folded any laundry and cleaned the bathroom. Disturbing to say the least. Apparently they don’t think CA tenant law applies to them)
Now, the window have been replaced with TERRIBLE, cheap replacements. The visibility went from 26 inches to 19 inches. They didn’t measure or order custom made (they claim they did). The original frame is visible and all they did was take windows the contractor had on hand, install them and left a 3.5 inch opening between the rough opening (I think that’s the correct term!) and the new frame. They “sealed” it with plastic trim and caulking. I have seen this done before but NOT for that much room. The plastic frame has cracked, no insulation was added, and you can see the original frame/sash, plus the screw they added (it very visible and sticks out horizontally about two inches maybe less).
This place is now a darn prison . The sun is blocked about 50%, the ugly plastic makes this look oddly ominous, and they refuse to fix it replace it with the correct size. They said they could not order the windows. They said I just have to deal with it. Told them I rented here after I fell in love with the brightness and explained that the sun is beneficial to me (I was a victim of the Mandalay Bay shooting and still suffer health issues. I have ongoing medical procedures as a result so it’s imperative for me to feel peace when at home).
They refuse to change and say they “like how it look”.
I decided to pull up all records from this building. Found the name of the contractor, the cert of occupancy (none since 1960) and no permit was found for this work. Which explains why they didn’t open the wall to make the windows fit. No way they could have done that much structural work without a permit. I am at a loss here. I went to legal aid for assistance, went to building safety and called three other places. If I report violations the owners will be notified and they won’t help. It will make this worse. Is there a way someone can come out and inspect prior to me reporting this? I have spent so much money on this place I can’t afford to pay an inspector. And no, I am not leaving. I can’t mentally or financially afford that. Plus, I did nothing wrong. Suggestions?? Please and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 02:06 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Write shorter posts...

Old 04-20-2019, 02:12 AM

Default ...

This may be a joke to you. Don’t bother me with this. UFAH.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:45 AM

276 posts, read 221,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep79 View Post
I have spent so much money on this place I can’t afford to pay an inspector. And no, I am not leaving. I can’t mentally or financially afford that. Plus, I did nothing wrong. Suggestions?? Please and thank you!
You are renting, so you can always afford to leave. Either you will face an endless battle with this landlord, or get real and just go find a better place. LA is so big, you have infinite options.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
You are renting, so you can always afford to leave. Either you will face an endless battle with this landlord, or get real and just go find a better place. LA is so big, you have infinite options.
Just because I am renting doesn’t mean I can afford to leave. I can’t. I was almost killed in the Las Vegas shooting in 2017 so entire 401k has gone to pay the bills. There was no “Vegas strong” help. That was complete BS. I had to get help from family to provide money for this lease since I have been in the hospital and having surgeries for over the past 19 months. So no, I can’t affford to leave. Also, that is just running away. the owners are wrong and have violated every right I have. They have also done work without a permit. They changed the terms in the lease during the time I signed it without an amendment. I would rather fight for my rights than leave and feel like I have no say. I shouldn’t hve asked here. No one will help. Thanks though for trying.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:41 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
I agree, write shorter posts. Good job making unauthorized alterations. You may think they are improvements but you can be charged to bring the unit back to its original condition, especially having cabinets painted, don't do it.

Report them and move on with your life.

Quote:
I would like to change my old Aluminum frame single glass to a double glazed glass Retro-Fit. Do I have to obtain a building permit? As someone said, we don't need to have a permit if we have not changed the frame. With Retro-Fit windows, we keep the old windows frame. Is that truth?? Thank you for your answering.

In areas served by the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Works Building and Safety Division a building permit would be required for a window replacement as described. Please contact the Building and Safety District Office serving your area.

https://dpw.lacounty.gov/bsd/content/faq.aspx

Old 04-20-2019, 01:43 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I got as far as your complaint that no one is changing your light bulbs for you and I quit reading. So, I have no help to offer.

That wall of solid text must indicate that you are unhappy, so give proper written notice, pay your early termination fee, and move out. Find another place that suits you better.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:46 PM

276 posts, read 221,760 times
Quote:
Just because I am renting doesn’t mean I can afford to leave. I can’t. I was almost killed in the Las Vegas shooting in 2017 so entire 401k has gone to pay the bills. There was no “Vegas strong” help. That was complete BS. I had to get help from family to provide money for this lease since I have been in the hospital and having surgeries for over the past 19 months. So no, I can’t affford to leave. Also, that is just running away. the owners are wrong and have violated every right I have. They have also done work without a permit. They changed the terms in the lease during the time I signed it without an amendment. I would rather fight for my rights than leave and feel like I have no say. I shouldn’t hve asked here. No one will help. Thanks though for trying.
You have gotten some help here. Basically, just move to a better place, get on with your life, stop making excuses why you must stay in some sh*****e apartment, and fight some a*****e landlord to the death.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:58 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
My suggestion would be try and find some funds to move to another property.

I can see the writing on the wall, and if you so much as call one inspector, you can bet the farm, the landlord is going to find a way to get rid of you.
The landlord already has grounds to evict you.
You altered the unit without permission.
That is grounds for eviction.

Unfortunately there are many property owners who could care less how their buildings are maintained, all they care about is rent being paid.

Way too late now, but you should have inspected the unit fully, before moving in, plus you should have sat down with the landlord, or manager, and gone over the rental agreement sentence by sentence, before signing it.

I insist my new tenants do exactly that before signing the rental agreement.
That way, we are both on the same page, and their are no misunderstandings.

I feel for you, but what you are putting yourself through, is counter productive.
Find a way to bail on this unit, because sooner or later, you will be moving(like it or not) because of being evicted.

Bob.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:56 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
Quote:
They have also done work without a permit.

Minor repairs do not require a permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting