Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,988 times

Advertisements

We purchased a house which I realize is not a legitimate reason to break a lease early but I was wondering if anyone had any answers or suggestions for how to exit the lease one full month before it ends. We are up July 31 and want to move the middle of June but obviously pay for all of June.

We started looking for a different situation as a result of many issues with our landlord. He is unresponsive and often ignores the many issues with the house. In February, our heat stopped working. We tried on our own to fiddle with the unit, move the temp up and off and back on, crawled under the house to check on the gas pilot light. Long story short, we finally got in contact after 2 weeks with him and he instructed us to "call a plumber lol." Our lease indicates it was his responsibility to make repairs. Regardless, we called someone out and they told us that the wires to the unit had caught fire and burnt up and there was a rolling flame under the house that presented a fire hazard which needed to be repaired ASAP.

After a big ordeal, he sent someone out to replace the air filter and the person was instructed to only do that, not replace the wires or anything else.

We started looking immediately for somewhere else but the process was obviously a little longer than anticipated and now we've almost reached the end of our lease.

Our lease doesn't have a term clause or mention anything about early termination. When purchasing the house, we originally were approved for a USDA loan with 0 down and minimal closing costs but that fell through and now with having to make a down payment, we are tight on money so saving $1500 for the last month of rent would be great but if we're looking at a big legal situation, not worth it in the long run.

Just asking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 07:48 AM

784 posts, read 729,003 times
You need to pay the last month's rent. Maybe the LL will let you use the deposit to pay the rent. I would not.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
If you only need to pay that last months rent then you should consider yourself fortunate.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:32 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdeloach3 View Post
We purchased a house which I realize is not a legitimate reason to break a lease early but I was wondering if anyone had any answers or suggestions for how to exit the lease one full month before it ends. We are up July 31 and want to move the middle of June but obviously pay for all of June.

We started looking for a different situation as a result of many issues with our landlord. He is unresponsive and often ignores the many issues with the house. In February, our heat stopped working. We tried on our own to fiddle with the unit, move the temp up and off and back on, crawled under the house to check on the gas pilot light. Long story short, we finally got in contact after 2 weeks with him and he instructed us to "call a plumber lol." Our lease indicates it was his responsibility to make repairs. Regardless, we called someone out and they told us that the wires to the unit had caught fire and burnt up and there was a rolling flame under the house that presented a fire hazard which needed to be repaired ASAP.

After a big ordeal, he sent someone out to replace the air filter and the person was instructed to only do that, not replace the wires or anything else.

We started looking immediately for somewhere else but the process was obviously a little longer than anticipated and now we've almost reached the end of our lease.

Our lease doesn't have a term clause or mention anything about early termination. When purchasing the house, we originally were approved for a USDA loan with 0 down and minimal closing costs but that fell through and now with having to make a down payment, we are tight on money so saving $1500 for the last month of rent would be great but if we're looking at a big legal situation, not worth it in the long run.

Just asking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Everything else in your post is noise and has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

The question is, if you end your lease one month early, will the landlord allow it? That's up to the landlord. It doesn't hurt to ask and depending on the situation, the landlord may agree. As a landlord, it would depend on when that is. In my experience as a landlord, if you have been with me for more than 1 term of the lease and you decided to end one month early, I may say yes because I would need to put tenant in anyway. That one month early may allow me to put the rental up again for a more favorable month for advertising so I wouldn't hold you to the full term.

The bottom line is you can ask but don't get all bend out of shape if landlord say no. A contract is a contract and changes in the terms must be agreeable by both parties, not just for your benefit. The $1500 difference in your home purchase shouldn't make that big of a difference. If it does, you got bigger problems!

Old 04-29-2019, 12:14 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,550,907 times
Worse comes to worse he may keep your deposit. I would not pay July's rent if I were you. Worst that he does is sue you for July's rent and claims your deposit was all used for cleaning/fixing up the property to get it ready for the next tenant.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:23 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
It's amazing what you can get by asking nicely. Ask nicely. You're giving him two months' notice. Ask him if you can end your lease a month early. He might have an easier time renting it for July 1st than for July 31st.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Worse comes to worse he may keep your deposit. I would not pay July's rent if I were you. Worst that he does is sue you for July's rent and claims your deposit was all used for cleaning/fixing up the property to get it ready for the next tenant.
I'd hit you for late fees too, $65 the first day and $10 each day after that in my lease. Add in court costs for the eviction I filed, because I will file an eviction by the 8th of the month, and additional court costs to chase the damages after the eviction is over and your deposit won't even come close.

If you decide to return the keys without paying that last months rent then you are break your lease early I'll go after the re-letting fee too.

Just pay the rent, return the keys and hope it can get rented out and you get a refund on the rent, I do this on nearly every one of my tenant terminated leases even up to 3 months early. The key to avoiding all the bull is to be upfront, honest, and pay what you owe.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:04 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Worse advise ever.

The landlord could sue you and easily win. With a judgment against you, you have to face the possibilities of bank levies, wage garnishments and a fresh new lien on your new property. Some states even allow the seizure of your cars and other assets.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:42 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
You signed a contract. Abide by it. Meanwhile turn in a maintenance request for the wire under house. You knew when your lease ended when you decided to buy a house. Now you want to screw over your landlord for your convenience. If the maintenance isdue was such a big deal in feb, you would have terminated for cause back then, if he wouldnt fix it. Now you are just trying to do it for convenience and trying out your excusevon posters here to see how it flies.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:35 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Move out as soon as you can, give the landlord keys and clearly state that you allow him to put the property back up for rent. If he's successful in doing so, he usually cannot charge 2 people for the same property for the same month.

I once broke the lease early and my landlord found the tenant the next day and returned me all my security deposit with no problems.

The key is if the property can be re-rented quickly, you want to facilitate that to the best of your ability. Your landlord don't have much obligation to do so, but since it's one month only - he knows he need to find someone anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting